Panasonic DMR-EH80V - Should I wait for it?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Newbie2DVD, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Newbie2DVD

Newbie2DVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Back in August 2005, I heard about the Panasonic DMR-EH80V DVD Recorder, which is a combo DVD & VHS recorder with a 200GB hard drive. I would like to buy a DVD player with a hard drive, so I decided to wait for the EH80 to be released. So, here we are now in Nov, and there isn't any news on it. I haven't bought any DVD player yet as it seemed silly to spend money on a unit that I would replace when a DVD recorder with a large hard drive came out. Should I continue waiting for the EH80? Is it really worth the wait, and if yes, does anyone know when it will be released?

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,509
    Well it's for sale at AVLAND so I'm a bit confused :confused:

3. Newbie2DVD

Newbie2DVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I've checked and see it's listed for sale at AVLand - but Panasonic themselves has never had it available for sale, so I'm not sure if AVLand would have it in stock either. Panasonic's site states it will be available on 26th Nov.

Does anyone have this recorder, and if yes, is it worth the higher price than the other recorders out there? No one seems to be posting any comments on this model, so I'm wondering if it is any good, or if it's too new for anyone to have an opinion. I'd really like to get on with DVD, so would appreciate any help :lease:

4. Dave R

Dave R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've just ordered one from Empire Direct, who claim to have it in stock. I'll let you know what happens.

5. Newbie2DVD

Newbie2DVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Dave - it would be great if you could let me know if they have it or not. From everything I've read, it does look like the optimal DVD recorder for me. I was just hoping I could get some first-hand info from someone who has one....

6. DavidF2005

DavidF2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was interested in this, because I really want to buy a combined HD/DVD recorder, preferably with VHS capability (for existing large stock of tapes). However, I see that the EH80V has twin ANALOGUE tuners and I want twin freeview tuners so I can record at digital quality simply (ie without having to set tuner AND recorder) and to minimise number of boxes in living-room. Anyone know of one out there like that, preferably under £500?

Also, note that AVLAND price is £599, compared with Empire's less than £490.

Regards, David

7. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Go to QVC shopping channel site they got it for sale you can order it and try it out for 30 days if you don,t like it you can send it back and get your mony back less the p&p.
    At least you can have a play and see if its the one for you QVC price is abit high but dosen,t matter if you goin to send it back
    http://www.qvcuk.com/ukgasp/frameset.asp?dept=ukEL

8. Newbie2DVD

Newbie2DVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure if the "analogue only tuners" are a problem for me as I have Sky and intend to record Sky programmes and to convert numerous VHS tapes.

But I'm not an expert and wouldn't want to get a recorder which doesn't provide great PQ. Could someone let me know if the digital vs analogue issue will be a problem for recording Sky broadcasted programmes and movies?

9. DavidF2005

DavidF2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand that you MUST have analogue tuner for recording Sky, so you will be fine. I use Freeview, and this is why I need digital tuners.

10. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It's definately available as it was released for sale about a month ago.
    It's an ideal machine for dubbing from VHS to DVD/HDD with too as it has a TBC built in to improve PQ. I use the EH60 to record digital TV and it's great, the EH80 has the addition of a VHS deck so should be just the same as mine.

11. 1ka

1ka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine from Panasonic UK's online shop in early September. :)

I can't compare it to other DVD recorders, as I have nothing to compare it to. However, in my opinion it is a solid machine. Setting it up to record TV is easy, the ability to simultaneously playback and record is great.

Programs recorded at the SP quality setting are good enough for all but the fastest moving images, cartoons can be done on LP mode. In normal viewing I couldn't tell the difference between the highest quality (XP) and the next one (SP). The lowest quality setting is EP, but this is very poor with lots of compression artifacts.

The integration of VHS and HDD/DVD is a little clunky. The VHS has it's own tuner and recording menu and first impressions are that it has been 'bolted' onto the machine. Recording from VHS to HDD/DVD is straightforward, although I had to fool around a little to get NTSC tapes to record correctly. It's handy to have two tuners when you just have to record two channels at the same time.

I've recorded off my freeview box, via the external link (scart socket). It's easy to do, but not as simple as having a built in digital tuner like the EH60 has. I haven't tried to program the freeview box and have it automatically turn on the Panasonic. I think it is limited, as the manual states that it will start to record as soon as it receives a signal from the external connection. I suspect that this means it will want to record even if your just watching Sky, rather than recording. Also, unless your Sky box has multiple outputs, you won't be able to watch another Sky channel whilst recording a Sky channel. This is not an issue for me, as I rarely record anything from Freeview. Another factor which you should take into account is that from 2007 analogue is being phased out. :rolleyes:

The SD card reader is a bit gimmicky. I stuck the SD card from my camera in to read some JPEGs. Whilst it worked OK, it was very slow to display the pictures.

For me, the main selling point was the inclusion of VHS. My previous video failed and I needed a replacement, whilst moving to HDD/DVD.

Karl.

12. nicp01

nicp01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    only thing thats missing is divx playback and an ethernet socket....
    I live in hope
    I keep searching
    anyone seen such a box?

13. Dave R

Dave R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Empire Direct certianly have them in stock. Ordered last Friday night, delivered on Tuesday.
    Haven't had the chance to play with it much yet though.

14. RAB67

RAB67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Why?

If you're recording Sky that'll be on a SCART into AV2 or similar.