1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR-EH60D - Setup Help re Twin FreeView Tuners

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by webtech, Aug 23, 2005.

1. webtech

webtech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been contemplating upgrading my audio-visual equipment for some time now. Although I’ve decided on the LCD television I intend to buy (Panasonic TX23LXD50), I’ve been undecided between purchasing either a PVR (such as a Topfield or Humax PVR9200T) or a DVD Recorder with Hard Disk.

The main selling point of the Topfield or Humax, as far as I was concerned, was their twin Freeview tuner, whereby you can record one digital channel whilst watching another (or indeed record two channels whilst watching another if one of these is on the same MUX)

However, after much dithering I’ve decided to go down the DVD Recorder/HDD route and now intend to purchase a Panasonic DMR-EH60D.

This machine obviously has a built-in digital tuner whilst my new television (the Panasonic TX23LXD50) also has a built-in digital tuner. I also still have my original Freeview digital set-top box which still works perfectly well (Panasonic TU-CT20 – as you can see I’m a big fan of Panasonic!!!)

Therefore, my question is - with all these built-in digital tuners, shouldn’t I be able to make use of the various SCART sockets and set up the equipment in such a way that I can record one digital channel whilst watching another (in the same way that I could if I were to purchase a twin Freeview tuner such as the Humax 9200)?

Thanks

Mark

2. Stenataar

Stenataar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Surely you just set up as you would your old VCR via a SCART and pass through arial connection. You record any channel you like via the DVD recorder tuner and watch another channel via your TV tuner. I have recently bought the Pany TX32LXD500 and am planning to buy the Pany DMREH60D to do just that.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Yes you can. Setup (connecting via Scart cable) as follows:

Panasonic EH60D AV1 (TV Out) >>> VCR In on your Panasonic Digibox and then TV Out >>> TV RGB In

You can watch TV using your EH60D until you want to set a recording - once you've set the Timer and put the EH60D into Timer mode just switch on your Digibox and watch via that. When you want to watch the DVDR again just put your Digibox to standby.

4. Stenataar

Stenataar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    But if your TV has a freeview tuner in it, and your recorder has a freeview tuner in it - why would you need to link in the digibox? Surely a direct connection from TV to Recorder via SCART would suffice?

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    You wouldn't - I didn't see the comment regarding his intended purchase of a iDTV. In such a case he would watch whatever channel he wanted via the TV and record as required via the EH60D.