Panasonic DMR-EH60D - is yours getting hot?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by HelenS, Sep 5, 2005.

1. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for repeating (kind of) my earlier post, but I thought I'd ask this a different way:

If you have the UK model Panasonic DMR-EH60D (Freeview tuner, analogue tuner, 200GB HDD, DVD recorder), could you tell me whether yours gets surprisingly hot to the touch on the top of its case when it is in standby or when the HDD has entered "sleep" mode? Mine is pretty toasty and it's worrying me - though (fingers crossed) there are no ominous smells and the overheating error code hasn't so far made an appearance. It cools down quite rapidly once its fan is running, but that only seems to operate when the machine is recording, playing back, or with the hard drive still spinning (i.e. when "HDD SLEEP" is not on the display).

Apart from this concern it's a very nice machine, by the way!

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Hard drives do get hot - and the larger the HDD the hotter it gets. Also the 7200rpm drives get hotter than the 5400 rpm drives.
    This is the reason that home DVD recorders have fans fitted to get rid of the heat and they therefore should not be located in very confined spaces. My E85 only has an 80GB HDD (its a Samsung 5400 rpm) and it gets fairly warm in use. It has lots of space around the machine to keep it well ventilated.

I have just used the EVEREST utility to check the temps of my PC HDD's the 80GB Maxtor is 36C (97F) and the Seagate 120GB 42C (108F). They would be much hotter without the two fans running. If you use sufficient ventilation your Panasonic should be fine.

3. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. Following on from what you say, do you happen to know where in the chassis Panasonic places the HDD, at least in the E85's generation? (They could well have moved it on mine, since the height is reduced and the DVD drive is now on the left of the front plate, rather than in the middle).

All I know about the drive in my EH60D is that it's a 200GB unit - without looking inside I'm unaware of the brand/model and I'm a coward anyway! The ironic thing is that in use, it keeps quite cool - it's when it's doing nothing (and indeed, when the disc ISN'T even spinning) that it gets hot!). Since I haven't had an HDD recorder before, just a DVD recorder (the E55 from the previous year's range) I don't know how the fans have behaved previously, but I got the impression maybe they ran quite a lot on the previous HDD recorders. I was a little surprised therefore to find that on the EH60D it acts more like the E55 - the fan is never on in standby, and intermittently cuts in when the machine is recording or playing back. And of course, I've no idea whether it's meant to act like this!!

I've ensured that nothing is blocking the minimal ventilation holes that the EH60D has (it only has slots near the front of the right side, none on the other side and none on top) and that the fan at the mid/left ofthe rear is not obstructed. I've made as much room around it as I can, given the constraints imposed by the 28 inch TV's stand.

4. jerryat

jerryat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Helen,

I have just taken delivery (a couple of days ago) of the same recorder. Mine has been on for about 6 hours today, with the HDD shut down for almost all that time. The casing is warm near the fan, but certainly not anywhere near hot.

I haven't had time to use the HDD for any lengthy period, then let it 'sleep', then use it again etc, but if type sort of use does result in the sort heat you are experiencing, I'll post here to let you know.

Cheers Jerry

5. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    In the DMR-E85 the hard drive is located on the right hand side of the machine just underneath the top cover. The fan is directly behind this on the RH side. Haven't particularly noticed if the fan cuts on and off. Perhaps it does this if a certain temp is reached.

Haven't noticed if it gets hot when the machine is in standby. Apart from the odd few mins prior to recording a programme the machine is always switched off at the mains when not in use. Contrary to what people may think it doesn't lose the initial setup info when turned off at the mains.

6. jerryat

jerryat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Helen,

We ran the dvd recorder last night (playing with recording etc) and I've left it on this morning since about 0800. It's gone into the 'sleep' mode of course, but neither last evening nor this morning has the casing got more than just pleasantly warm.

I appreciate everyone's assessment is different, but it is definitely nowhere near hot. Best description iI can give is when you hold your hand to polystyrene packaging. Your hand gradually feels warm. Mine gets no warmer than that.

Might be worth getting the supplier to check it out.

Hope this helps

Cheers Jerry

7. the blue angel

the blue angel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine gets hot like yours when in stanbye is there a problem did you phone panasoinc

8. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did phone them, but they weren't sure how warm it's supposed to get(!) because it's so new, and also because everyone's perception of heat is a bit different. I stuck a thermometer on top of it overnight and it read between 30 and 35 degrees centigrade, but I was no wiser after that really! It's certainly hotter than jerryat's polystyrene packaging analogy. According to the manual, it can operate in environments up to a temperature of 40 degrees C, so by that token, 30-35 degrees C of temperature in the machine should be bearable for it (shouldn't it?). Panasonic suggested just keeping an eye on things so that's what I'm doing for now - they said that it possibly *could* be something like the hard drive drawing too much current, but that the EH60D has many safety sensors and cutouts so it's not a safety risk or anything. It cools down a great deal when its fan is running, within minutes.

As an experiment at the weekend, I'll see if it runs cooler with "quick start" set to off, since the manual mentions quick start set to on means it uses more electricity in standby.

Maybe all this varies according to the precise design of the TV stand or whatever that the EH60D is sited in/on in each household - when the cooling is only "passive" - ie. when the fan in the machine's not running.

9. xaldub

xaldub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My DMR-EH60 feels only mildly warm at most , and thats even with a cable-box sitting on top of it. I haven't recorded much at the moment ..but I'm certainly not experiencing the "heat" you are getting in standby mode.

10. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that (worrying as it is!). Does the fan on yours always stop shortly after going into standby, and never operate unless the machine is on?

Heat is so subjective, even though I've measured it with a thermometer - got another member of the family to feel the top of the EH60D straight after me, with me saying "There, isn't that hot?!" to which the reply was "Eh? Hardly - it's just a bit warm..."

11. xaldub

xaldub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hear the fan more loudly immediately after the DVD recorder "wakes up" out of standby mode. It then whirrs down to a barely audible level. I guess it's probably rigged to be more active with hard-drive usage.

I've had my DVD recorder left on overnight ...and have never felt it to be hot. Just warm. I wouldn't be too concerned unless the DVD recorder behaves in an anomalous fashion, HelenS. When I run my PC it can operate OK at much higher temperatures than what you've recorded with your recorder. At worst, if it does start to misbehave you always have one year of warranty to fall back on.

12. the blue angel

the blue angel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its getting far to warm it is ment to be cool when the dvd recorder is in stanby not bloody hot this is ridicules dont think panasonic have tested this over a long period of time

13. the blue angel

the blue angel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is ridicules paid 469 quid i should have kept my panasonic dmre100 and my humax freeview all this techology is a waste of money best to stick with what you have already my panasonic nerver got hot like this in stanby mind you the build quality was ten times better

14. the blue angel

the blue angel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why cant panasonic bring out dvd recorders that are built like the hs2 or the dmre100
    the quality has gone down

15. the blue angel

the blue angel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just discovered that it will get warm when you have it in stanbye and ready to do a timer recording if it does not have the timer recording light on thats when it is cool