Panasonic DMR-EH55...Dual Layer recorder?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by 80sGuy, Mar 19, 2006.

1. 80sGuy

80sGuy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Howdy people!
    According to Panasonic's new line-up of DVD recorders, it seem like its made big improvements as far as media compatibility (it covers every DVD media possible, except Blue-Ray). I am waiting for the new DMR-EH55 and according to Panasonic specs, this baby is equipped with a massive 200GB HD and can record Dual-Layer discs. As a matter of fact, based on the '06 line up, they can ALL record to D-L discs...correct me if I'm wrong, here's the link. Select model and click on specifications.

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/diga/usa/lineup/index.html

:thumbsup:

2. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    It's true, they can record to dual layer discs. BUT, from what I've read, you have to finalise the first layer before you can record to the second one.
    The new manuals say the same thing, unless I, and others, have misunderstood.
    Defeats the object of dual layer recording if this is the case!

3. 80sGuy

80sGuy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good to know, thanx!!

4. mandm

mandm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    totally agree
    what it means that that you finalise the first layer and then change the side of the DVD b4 finalising the second layer....
    BTW can you send the link/or pm me the new manual for 55.
    cheers

5. chrisnewbold

chrisnewbold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assuming you are in the UK, I don't think the DMR- EH55 is a UK model. It's a European model. We'll be getting the (largely) freeview enabled EX range - EX75 etc. Same goes for them though. They also have HDMI unlike the EH55.

6. 80sGuy

80sGuy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. skes

skes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Looked at that UK manual, no mention of HDMI also someone said no RGB input on some (or was it all) new Panasonics, but it says RGB input in that manual.

8. 80sGuy

80sGuy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The very first link on top (Panasonic's Global site) states that this model is HDMI ready and available. As far as RGB input, I have never seen any of their DVD lines existed...do correct me if I'm wrong.

9. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    In a nutshell: RGB in/out is provided on SCART connectors. SCARTs are a European standard, normally you only get SCARTs on European models. So there's no RGB in/out on US models.

In Europe (including the UK), the ES15 has no RGB in. All the other new models have RGB in.

Not if you get an HDD model. You would normally burn DVD-Rs by dubbing from the HDD. In fact I don't think the new HDD models let you burn a DL disc directly.

10. 80sGuy

80sGuy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

11. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Oops, I didn't mean to trigger transatlantic envy! As I said, the SCART is a European connector, I think their use is pretty much confined to video equipment intended for European countries. S-video in/out and composite in/out are universal. S-video is better quality than composite, though not as good as RGB. Component out is as good as RGB.

I think you should stick with the US models. If you bought a European model the supply voltage would be wrong (it would need 220-240V), the tuner would be wrong (no 525 NTSC reception), so it wouldn't work on your analogue cable systems, and it might not work with your TV Guide (it definitely wouldn't if it's provided on an analogue channel). And to cap it all, you would probably have to pay more for a European model.

The new US lineup is shown here.

And there's a thread about the new US models here.

12. hakase

hakase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have been comparing the manuals for the new DMR_EH55 with the competing Sony DVD Recorder RDR-HXD910.

Only the Sony one claims to detect "changes in the picture", i.e. ads, automatically. Its not clear whether the Panny does this. The panny does allow you to delete the ads manually though.

As an ad hater, it looks like its one up for Sony.

13. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Hi

It is true you need to finalise the first layer before recording to the second however only on the non hard-drive model (which does make it worthless to be honest).

The hard-drive models get around this by stopping you recording to dual-layer discs directly. From the hard-drive it doesn't require you to finalise one layer before another.

Why they have done this I do not know as Pioneer recorders cope just fine recording directly to dual-layer discs. While it doesn't matter on hard-drive models, it is a big limitation on the non hard-drive model, where ironically you would most likely find the larger capacity dual-layer discs more of an advantage.

Regards

Phil

14. 80sGuy

80sGuy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also read somewhere in this forum that you have to turn or flip the disc over to the other side if you are using DVD-RAM or double-layer/dual layer discs? I don't think this is neccesary sinced it's automatic, also as the same way the discs is being played .
    By the way, is there a difference in Dual-Layer compared to Double-Layer? According to the DMR-EH55 user manual, it is written in these two "formats".

15. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Hi

DVD-RAM has to be flipped over, this isn't automatic, so you just open the try eject and turn it over. Essentially DVD-RAM double sided is just the same as 2 separate DVD-RAMs, except they are stuck back to back.

Dual layer discs have two layers on the same side, so the big advantage is the whole capacity is seen together and you do not have to turn it over.

Dual-layer is the DVD forums term for 2 layers. Double-layer is used by the competing format launched by Philips (+R/+RW). As dual-layer was a registered trademark to the DVD forum Philips couldn't use that term.

Regards

Phil