Panasonic DMR-EH50 opinions needed

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jazzie, May 8, 2005.

1. Jazzie

Jazzie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Looking for suggestions/advice.

My current DVD recorder is driving me nuts and I'm looking to replace, so far I'm leaning towards the Panny EH50.

80% of my use will be archiving old VHS tapes, some of the tapes are over 15 years old (several hundred home movies & old TV recordings, not pre-recorded) and almost all have 3 or 4 separate items per tape. The rest of my use will be recording from Sky.

My set up at the moment is:-

Tiny Focus 42" plasma (much improved since I got the software fix last week)
    Sky box
    Grundig VCR (single scart input/output only but a good player)
    Liteon LVW-5006 DVD Recorder

Ideally I want to record each 8hr LP VHS tape from the VCR straight to a HDD overnight then copy each item to a separate disc, it will take months to do but I've had so many discs fail with the Liteon after recording, at the moment I'm looking at years to archive the lot

One big problem with the Liteon is my plasma keeps loosing the signal, the engineer who did the software fix on the plasma told me that is down to the recorder having a poor signal, the result is if I'm watching a DVD and I stop it then leave it for more than 5 minutes, the plasma looses the signal and the only way to get it back it to eject the disc which of course looses my place.

Otherwise, I'm looking for something with a decent quality playback of pre-recorded DVDs, decent DVD menu set up for my copy DVDs (Liteon is horrible) and quick record (I always forget until the last minute).

Is the EH50 the one to go for or can anyone suggest an alternative?