Panasonic DMR EH50 - No good for copying poor quality videotapes?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Robin Davies, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Robin Davies

Robin Davies
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a Panasonic DMR EH50 and it seems to copy reasonably well from good quality videotape recordings. However when I tried copying some poor quality tapes the picture quality became even more appalling. I had naively assumed that DVD recorders wouldn't degrade the image any further. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I'm using an S video cable and audio cables to connect the recorder to my VCR.

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    They must be very bad tapes then. I use scart to scart to copy VHS tapes from JVC and Sony VCR's to dvd recorders. Some of these tapes date back to the mid eighties and the quality is reasonably good. The original 3 hour VHS tapes retailed at around £15 each and the quality of the tape was very good. As time went on mass production increased and the tape quality became abysmal as it became cheaper.

3. Robin Davies

Robin Davies
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should have made it clear that it's the quality of the videotape recordings that is poor, not the actual tape. They are umpteenth generation copies which are just about watchable when I play them straight into my TV but the signal seems to be degraded substantially when it goes into the DVD recorder.

4. jspr

jspr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You say you have your vcr connected via s-video - have you tried connecting via scart ? You might have a dodgy s-video lead. Also make sure you turn on AV-in NR (Noise Reduction) in the picture menu on the EH50 (See page 39 in the manual) I believe the default is set to automatic but I have mine set to on and my recordings from videotape are very acceptable (certainly no worse than original). Good luck!

5. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,969
    I copied some tapes like the ones you are talking about and didn't lose any quality, mind you the content on the tape took your mind off the quality of the recording anyway ;) :D

6. Robin Davies

Robin Davies
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions jspr. I've tried both and there's no improvement I'm afraid. I've just done a copy of the same programme from videotape to videotape and the result is noticeably better than videotape to DVD! So much for the digital revolution. :rolleyes:

7. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    what bit rate are you using to record them? XP, SP, or the lower quality ones?

Gary

8. Robin Davies

Robin Davies
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used SP. I've just tried XP but it makes no difference. The problem seems to be the signal that's received by the DVD recorder. The output from the VCR to the TV looks noticeably better than the picture that I see when I select the TV channel that shows me the DVD recorder input. The main problem is that vertical lines, which are already wobbly due to the poor quality of the original recording, are being made even more wobbly.