Panasonic DMR-EH50 - Does NOT have Guideplus

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by FREDDIE1964, Nov 4, 2005.

1. FREDDIE1964

FREDDIE1964

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to buy a DVR-HDD with Guideplus and have been looking at all the models available. I picked up Panasonics Audio Visual Magazine from their shop and the back cover shows a photo of their DMR-EH50 quite clearly with the Guideplus logo on it's front panel. The photo on page 26 also shows the Guideplus logo but there is nothing in the spec about Guideplus.

I queried this with Panasonic and they confirmed that none of their models have Guideplus.....however they have not provided an explanation how a photo can appear in their magazine with the Guideplus logo shown.

It's not likely that someone would simply buy the EH50 without asking about the spec, but just thought I'd post this thread to make people aware of the misleading photo.

2. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it's the problem with multi-national firms - they do tend to use pics from their HQ's product library and the US and European spec EH50 *does* have GuidePlus (probably the Japanese and Australasian ones too). For some reason they're not supporting it in the UK. Odd, because I think JVC does do GuidePlus in the UK, and they're somewhat of a subsidiary of Panasonic's mother company (though autonomous, which I suppose answers it...).

3. johnt

johnt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having recently got an LCD TV Samsung LE3241B (no freeview) after the usual struggle to decide, am now struggling with DVD/HDD decision. Almost decided on Panasonic DMREH50 (no freeview reqd) but am confused about what guides are useable on what recorders (assuming no freeview but plain Sky).
    I see Guideplus not available on Panasonic but what about on PioneerDVR433HS? Is Videoplus a reasonable alternative on either and does Sky planner autoview work on either? I have not used any of these for VHS recorder so am fairly ignorant of pros/cons and useability?
    I have read various responses to specific questions (usually for freeview) but cannot grasp the general picture to help me decide on Pan v Pion. Any clues gratefully rec'd.

4. Phantom Phixer

Phantom Phixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For information on Guide+ goto http://www.europe.guideplus.com/

The Pioneer 433 does not have Guide+ but the 530 & 630 do.

I don't think there is any comparison between Guide+ and Videoplus, Guide+ is much easier to use. You do not need to use the Sky planner as everything is done in the recorder.

5. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst I can't answer the Sky question as I don't have it, I do know that the Pioneer 433H doesn't have GuidePlus - that starts with the next model up in their range, the 530H, which I believe has a 160GB HDD. Most recorders have VideoPlus and it's workable, but just the same as it was on VCRs - you enter a number taken from a printed magazine and it automatically enters the date, channel, times etc. into the timer, rather than having an onscreen listing of programmes and highlighting the one you want to record (which again then automatically puts the entries in the timer), which is how GuidePlus works, I believe. (The Freeview EPG is similar, but only applies to Freeview channels, not analogue).

6. Vallyboy

Vallyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is GuidePlus+

Gives you a good tour of the features available. Next best thing is Sky+ or better perhaps that it has two channels. Not every feature is available on all models but you get the idea.

I have the discontinued Phillips 720 and it works just fine, new model out soon. I assume the rest without GuidePlus+ have timer setting features of varying sophistication but will be still a timer rather than point and click set up.

7. illustrator

illustrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Back in the 90's Panasonic used to test new technology by releasing it through JVC to see what the takeup would be (Anyone remember the JVC in-car DAT player?) maybe thats whats happening with Guideplus here in the UK

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,832
    Panasonic (and likewise Sony) have both not opted for Guideplus in the UK for several reasons. Firstly the service has reduced bandwidth in the UK compared to the rest of Europe - it has less broadcast space and thus cannot always keep up with programme alterations. Secondly both companies view the Freeview EPG (DVB-T) becoming the standard and thus are focusing efforts towards using and developing that. And thirdly there are long term questions over the survival of Guideplus in the UK given that only a few companies support it (primarily Philips, JVC and Pioneer) - in the US/Europe it is receives alot more of it's income from Sony and Panasonic.