panasonic dmr-eh50 connection problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by withjet, May 15, 2005.

1. withjet

withjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a complete beginner with this so ANY help is appreciated.
    I seem to be having difficulty in getting my dmr-eh50 connected correctly to my tv/sky digi-box. I have followed the manual but no joy. I appear to be able to get normal function from my tv and sky but cannot view, and freely select channels when viewing through the selected channel for the dvd player. I don't know if the connections are wrong or if the player isn't tuned correctly, but all I get is a black screen. However when I press the function button on the remote, I am able to enter the menu system for the dvd player and a tv channel appears behind the menu, only for the screen to go black again when I try to select another channel. If anyone is even remotely able to follow what the hell i'm talking about I think I'll be well impressed. HELP!!!

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    The DVD recorder is expecting a RGB signal but only getting a composite one. Check the following:

1) You have connected the DVD recorder to the TV Output on the Digibox. I cannot stress TV Output enough - only the TV output is RGB compatible.

2) Sky is set to output RGB. Goto Services/Setup/Picture Settings and ensure Video Output is set to 'RGB'. Ensure you 'Save New Settings'

3) Ensure you have not pressed the 'TV' button on your Sky handset as this forces composite output. Press the 'Sky' button and never press 'TV' again.

4) Ensure you do not have a VCR connected to the VCR scart on the Sky digibox as, if on, this will force composite.

5) Ensure you are using a fully wired scart cable!

3. withjet

withjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rasczak, I'll give that a go and see how I get on.

4. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286

I know what you mean - I just got an EH50 myself. I'm experiencing some funny behaviour when switching the machine on and using it with a Digibox.

Basically, the EH50 doesn't appear to be sending a proper 'switching' signal to the telly to make it switch to that SCART input. It also doesn't seem to be always outputting RGB. However, when you switch to the menus it DOES output the RGB, only to drop back to composite when you leave the menu system.

I get all sorts of weird effects if I'm watching Sky and then take the EH50 out of standby. Often the screen will go black ... but when I press a menu button it shows the Sky picture on the background, only to go black again when I drop out of the menus. I find that if I put the Sky box into standby and then back on again, it usually fixes this.

I'll have to do a bit of dedicated testing to check exactly what the effects are. So far I've just been playing around and learning how the use the recorder: I'm not sure if I've messed up the connections, have a dodgy SCART cable somewhere in the chain or it's a bug of the EH50.

With the Digibox, you are best to use the AV1 output of the box and chain it through the EH50. Make sure the digibox is set to output RGB and that the input on the EH50 is set to accept RGB/video. You can use the secondary AV2 output of the Digibox but then you only get a composite signal which is significantly lower quality.

Cheers,

Gav

5. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    To follow up my own message,

... I've done a little more playing around with the machine and it appears that the recorder doesn't send or pass through RGB when you are in 'monitoring' mode. ie. When the unit is powered on but not actually playing something. Nor does it seem to send the switching signal to auto-switch the TV to the SCART input.

It does however switch to RGB and send the switch when you playback a recording or enter a menu .. but then reverts to no switch and no RGB when you go back to monitoring.

Say you were watching Sky .. when you activate the recorder you lose RGB and the TV will go back to whatever input it was on before you activated the Digibox. This can be pretty confusing and it can't believe that it's anything other than a bug in the way the recorder works.

Gav

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Are you sure this isn't being caused by a third party device (such as a VCR)? The UK model definetly passes through RGB and I'd be surprised if the European version was different. Have you set BOTH AV1 and AV2 to 'RGB'? Are you using component?

7. chappies

chappies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I was about to buy one of these and I had understood from forums that it does pass through RGB when in standby. This is important for me as I have a plasma with only one scart input. Could someone clarify on this point

Also - if I'm watching sky and switch the recorder on to record something, are you saying I lose RGB. Apologies if I'm misunderstanding yourposts. :confused:

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    It does. Connectivity is identical to the previous generation.

9. chappies

chappies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thank you for your reply

10. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    You're right - I did a little more testing and here's what's happening.

When you take recorder out of standby into monitoring mode by hitting the power button, it doesn't send the 'switch to this source' signal through the SCART. In fact, if you are watching something like a digibox looped through it, the switch signal of that source is lost and the TV defaults back to whatever you were watching before you hit the 'Sky' button to activate the digibox (typically the built in tuner).

You can manually switch to the RGB connection coming from the EH50 and RGB is still active. I thought it had gone because I was using the Sky remote to switch my telly .. and when I was hitting the 'TV' button to get the functionality of switching sources via the 'select' button, the digibox was dropping back to composite output only leading me to believe that the recorder was outputting composite. This would actually cause the 'black screen' effect described by the original poster if you hadn't set AV2 on the EH50 to accept both RGB and Video.

If you hit 'play' on the EH50 or any of the menu keys, the source switching kicks in and the EH50 display takes over.

Normally this behaviour wouldn't be a problem, but if you are looping an external box like a digital receiver through the recorder, you get a lot of confusion as a result.

Gav

11. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286

Sorry for the confusion: It does pass through RGB when in standby. As I've described in another post in the thread, the real problem is that when you take it out of standby you lose the source select switch on the connection causing the TV to drop back to whatever input was there before you activated the Sky box (normally the inbuilt TV tuner).

If the unit starts a timer recording from the tuner, it keeps on passing Sky through just fine. But if you start the recorder up with the intention of hitting 'Rec' to record whatever it is on Sky that you're watching, chances are that this will cause your TV to flick away from the Sky signal.

Also, when it is recording/monitoring off the Sky input it doesn't pass through the 'widescreen' switching so you are no longer able to watch 'anamorphic widescreen' on a 4:3 set if you've set the digibox up that way: You get the stretched picture of 16:9 anamorphic signal and the TV doesn't know that it has to squish it. The recording will play back just fine in widescreen afterwards though as the flag will be recorded and the recorder sends it upon playback.

Gav

12. chappies

chappies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for your detailed reply Gav. Nothing there that worries me unduly and it seems a very good machine in most respects so I'll go for it I think.

13. withjet

withjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all for your help with the issues over the EH50, I think I'm getting there with it now. Thanks especially to Gav, it's been handy having someone experiencing the same issues with the same machine that unlike myself, has some idea of what they're talking about. I am looking forward to actually fiddling with recording etc (never done any before).
    If I stuff it all up I'll be back for more advice.

Thanks again.

14. withjet

withjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just another question from the forum idiot.
    If I'm going to begin recording onto some form of hard copy media, do any of you have any suggestions as to what to start messing with?
    Please bear in mind that I'm REALLY new to this and have no experience with any of it.

Thanks..

15. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    With a view to archiving? Probably best to use a DVD-RW. It acts exactly like DVD-R/+R only (only less compatible - at least less when compared to DVD-R) with the added benefit you can erase it. Once you've got to grips start burning DVD-Rs.

If you just want to move things off the HDD for temporary storage then use DVD-RAM as this allows lossless dubbing to and from the HDD.

16. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    I have to say that I have just borrowed one of these from the shop and have experienced none of the problems mentioned above. I get full RGB picture all the time regardless of whether the unit is in standby, switched on and monitoring the AV2 input or playing back material previously recorded from my Sky box. I am using QED AV2110 Fully Wired Scart lead from the Sky box to the AV2 input on the Recorder and another of the same cables between the AV1 output on the Recorder and the RGB input on the television.

17. TUT

TUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85