1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR-EH50 and High Speed Dubbing

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gavan, May 15, 2005.

1. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Anyone know what the criteria are to do high speed dubbing?

So far I've tried dubbing to 3 discs ... a RAM, -RW and +R. The only one to work with high speed dubbing was the RAM disc. The others required me to set a dubbing speed (I chose SP, same as the recording on the HDD) and then proceeded in real time. A bit annoying as it tied up the machine, took a long time and I suspect there was the possibility that the video was being re-encoded too.... The manual implies that this might be the case.

Ok, with the -RW I was playing around with editing the footage and dubbed a playlist so that might have messed it up. With the +R disc though it was a straight dub of a <2hour recording. Nothing fancy.

Gav

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    You need to set DVD-R Compatibility mode - then you can high speed dub to DVD-RW, DVD-R and DVD+R. Otherwise you will only be able to high speed dub to DVD-RAM remain in VR mode.

3. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Thanks:Just found a setting in the "Disc>Settings for Recording>Recording" menu to "Rec for high speed dubbing".

This seems to be the switch for whether or not the recording to HDD is done in VR or Video mode. Doesn't seem to result in any worse quality or less basic functionality... though I'd guess editing might be impacted?

Cheers,

Gav

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    It results in recording only in 4:3 aspect ratio.

5. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Dammit, you're right! I recorded a movie last night off of Sky Movies and it didn't playback in widescreen. Did a quick recording of News24 and it was stretched too. Changing the setting for 'recording for high speed dubbing' back to 'no' results in things recording to HDD with the widescreen flag set.

Argh! This recorder is starting to annoy me more and more. As a straightforward replacement for a VCR for someone who only wanted to record from analogue terrestrial or cable and play back in on a 4:3 set, it would be great....

... However, if you're recording lots of stuff off of a digital STB like a Sky Digibox where you have an anamorphic widescreen source and you want to transfer it to DVD later, forget it. Widescreen flags aren't set on DVD R/RW recordings and if you want to be able to do high speed (lossless) dubbing, they won't even be set for HD recordings either!

If you don't set the high speed dubbing, dubbing takes place in real time tying the machine up, blocking you from using a chained through digibox and, I strongly suspect, necessitating re-encoding.

Personally, I think I made a mistake and should have went for Sky+ and a cheap DVD recorder supporting DVD-RAM along with a cheap DVD burner on the PC supporting DVD-RAM. Then used the DVD recorder to transfer stuff via DVD-RAM to the PC for proper editing and mastering to R formats.

Or maybe waited a little longer until issues like this were sorted out and it was possible to make properly formatted DVDs on the recorder.

Gav

6. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    you could always dub in real time overnight, when not in general use

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    TBH I'm surprised you consider it such a major deal - the solution to a stretched picture is just to press the 16:9 key on your TV remote ;) Seems a small price to pay for keeping a first generation copy (realtime dub does indeed mean a re-encode - albeit one of good quality).

8. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Yeah - but then only one disc is possible per night and there's still the issue that the video might be being re-encoded. The manual implies that video re-encoding could take place and the fact that it dubs in 'real time' with the video appearing onscreen would seem to suggest that something of that nature is happening. My source is Sky which has already been through an MPEG2 encode so a third encoding isn't ideal.

What I'll probably end up doing is getting one of those nice cheap LG DVD burners that handles DVD-RAM and DL -/+ R media and then use RAM format discs to transfer encodes from the recorder on a periodic basis as my hard drive fills. The EH50 can always dub to RAM at 'high speed' and this can take place in the background without messing other stuff up. Once it's on the PC I can author discs properly with appropriate widescreen flags, menus, dual layer - the works.

What a pain that I end up using a PC anyway when the whole point of a consumer recorder was to do this sort of thing from the comfort of my armchair. I guess my expectations of the maturity of the technology were too great...... Maybe the next gen of 'set top' DVD Recorders will do what I want.

Gav

9. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    The only remote that gives me easy access to widescreen switching on a single key is, ironically, the one from my old VCR.

To do it using the TV remote (which I never normally use) requires going into the menu structure of the telly. Maybe time to get a universal remote....

Also, I don't want to faff around when playing back material thinking "hmmm, is that aspect ratio OK" when I have a large library of recorded discs, many of them which will contain mixed 16:9 and 4:3 material. Or having to explain to friends that they must switch their systems to view widescreen when I give them discs. How hard can it be to write the appropriate aspect ratio info to a disc? I appreciate that maybe this info is only written at finalising time, but why not give the user the chance to flag widescreen recordings when doing this?

Gav

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    To be fair some allow you to do it now: Toshiba for example. The situation relating to WSS recording is fully explained in this Q&A - which I do recommend everyone reads prior to picking up a DVDR.

11. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    I agree, it is a small price to pay to have to manually select aspect ratio on the TV remote but have the ability to high speed dub.