1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR-EH50 - A Few Questions

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jspr, Aug 19, 2005.

1. jspr

jspr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I am about to buy my first dvd recorder, using it mainly for archiving stuff from sky+ and transferring loads of old vhs tapes onto dvd-r. Having studied the posts on this site and also read rasczak's excellent guide I narrowed my choice down to the following:

Panasonic DMR-EH50
    Sony RDR-HX510
    Toshiba RDXS34
    Pioneer DVR-530H

I have now excluded the Pioneer because I really don't need all the guideplus gubbings as I have sky+, I am not sure about the Sony as it doesn't seem to be as flexible in the recording options as the others which just leaves the Tosh and the Panny. I have downloaded the manuals for both of these and after reading through them am exhausted and confused! :confused: Why can't these electronics companies employ someone to translate the 'techno-babble' into plain english ?! Lets face it most households still have trouble programming a VCR! Anyway I think I am more inclined towards the Panny but I have a couple of questions about it for you kind people here.

1. On the Panny the manual states that to connect up my VCR I would need to connect it to AV3/4 which appear to be SVideo/Video/Audio connections - does this mean I would need a lead with a scart connector on one end and on the other end a SVideo connector, two audio connectors (L & R) and another video connector ? (Why 2 Video connectors?)

2. The Panny manual talks about transferring material to the HDD you must set it to 'High Speed Dubbing' beforehand, even if transferring in real time - what difference does this make ? Is it stored on the HDD in a different format? (Doesn't really matter, just curious).

3. If you want to copy one of your own DVD-R's to the HDD can this be done at High Speed or is it done in real-time?

4. I really had a hard time getting my head around the chapter about inserting chapter points, editing and sometimes losing chapter points when copying to DVD-R, seamless play etc - could any kind soul who understands this please try explaining it in a more 'down to earth' manner !

As I say I am leaning more towards the Panny at the moment, although the Tosh looks an excellent machine (and has a bigger HDD) I am not sure about the possible extra noise from it, from what I can see the only possible downside to the Panny is the lack of WSS and I'm not sure if this is really a problem. Anyway thanks for bearing with me and any advice would be much appreciated. :lease:

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I believe my Panasonic E85 manual suggests that if you wish to dub at high speed from the HDD then you must select the option for high speed dubbing BEFORE making the recording. It mentions nothing about real time dubbing - which is logical if you think about it.

It is possible to edit recordings on the HDD or on DVD-RAM but I never do this because it is time consuming.

Never bother about inserting chapters either. When a DVD-R disc is finalised it automatically inserts chapters at six minute intervals. I am quite content with this. The skip button can then be used to jump sections of the DVD-R in six minute sections.

Unable comment on transferring your own DVD-R recordings to the HDD. Have never done this. I would think that "real time" was more likely to give a better recording - given that home recordings are inferior to commercially made DVD's.

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    1. One connector is an s-video and the other is composite. You only need to use ONE of them. If your source has s-video out (i.e. a SVHS VCR) then use this otherwise use the composite (yellow) connector which is what you would use for a standard VHS vcr.
    (S-video is better quality than composite).

2. Set it to High Speed if you want to transfer at high-speed dub to DVD-R.
    Benefit are that it transfers quicker (obviously) and also maintains any chapter points that you create, other wise chapter points are added automatically every 5 mins.
    Also the aspect ratio is fixed to 4:3 which can cause incoming 16:9 live signals not to auto switch to WS. This was a BIG problem on my mate's E95 so he switched 'High Speed dub' off.
    It's up to you, at the end of the day the finished DVD-R will be in fixed 4:3 anyway which just means you have to manually chamge the AR on your TV accordingly.

3. Not sure, commercial (protected) DVDs...definatley NOT.

4. As I mentioned in '3', you will lose your chapter points if you dub in real time. More often than not you'll settle for the convenient 'auto chapter' feature rather than going through a long recording adding chapter points.

I can't hear my E100 or my mate's E95 HDD when operating but then again everyone's hearing (and age!) is different.

4. jspr

jspr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the info guys, Kevo - I meant the noise from the Tosh fan not the panny.

5. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are able to copy your own DVD's to the HD. It is copied in RT and you just have to enter the length of time of the dub. If HS dubbing is set to ON, then it can be HS dubbed to another DVD.