Panasonic DMR-EH 50 for £250 - good decision?

ShadowMoses

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm about to get this recorder. It's about right for my budget and it does everything I need. Before placing the order, I'd like to know if you guys recommend another player? thx

250 is about the money. I am quite pleased. Do a search for DMR-EH50 on the forum for some previous postings of mine; most issues have been resolved, others were non-issues.

aekostas said:
250 is about the money. I am quite pleased. Do a search for DMR-EH50 on the forum for some previous postings of mine; most issues have been resolved, others were non-issues.

Its gots be a bargain price.

cheers for the links and for the replies. I've decided to pick it from a store rather than buying it online, so I can take it back or replace it if there's a problem. :clap:

ShadowMoses said:
cheers for the links and for the replies. I've decided to pick it from a store rather than buying it online, so I can take it back or replace it if there's a problem. :clap:

btw Whats is the store price?

Argos. lol

£250 being £10 more expensive than the cheapest online place I found, when delivery is included

Found a "manager's special" without remote/manual in my local Comet today for £150! Think I am probably going to buy it because the manual & remote are <£30 from Panasonic

John A

jeallen01 said:
Found a "manager's special" without remote/manual in my local Comet today for £150! Think I am probably going to buy it because the manual & remote are <£30 from Panasonic

John A
Went back & bought it - and now I have a real problem:
- I made a mistake when looking at the Panasonic UK website and picked the wrong model when checking for the availability of the remote!

The model I have bought is DMR-EH50EB-S, and whilst that model is shown on the Panasonic website, no remote is listed as being available (just the instruction booklet).

So, please could someone who has one of these be so kind as tell me the model number of the correct remote?

Then I will talk to Panasonic on Monday and see how I can get one.

OTOH, does anyone know if the remote for this unit is the same as for any of the other models in the DMR range?

Thanks in advance.

John A

jeallen01 said:
Went back & bought it - and now I have a real problem:
- I made a mistake when looking at the Panasonic UK website and picked the wrong model when checking for the availability of the remote!

The model I have bought is DMR-EH50EB-S, and whilst that model is shown on the Panasonic website, no remote is listed as being available (just the instruction booklet).

So, please could someone who has one of these be so kind as tell me the model number of the correct remote?

Then I will talk to Panasonic on Monday and see how I can get one.

OTOH, does anyone know if the remote for this unit is the same as for any of the other models in the DMR range?

Thanks in advance.

John A

John - the remote question you could probably answer within 2 minutes by doing a google..........just type in the model of the machine you have followed by the word remote and I am certain some good links will come up - ie, companies that do nothing but sell remotes are online!

Good luck.

nickbrace said:
John - the remote question you could probably answer within 2 minutes by doing a google..........just type in the model of the machine you have followed by the word remote and I am certain some good links will come up - ie, companies that do nothing but sell remotes are online!

Good luck.
Nick

Thanks for your reply, and I have already done that, but only one company (AV UK Ltd) claims to offer a remote for this unit - However, they don't give any indication as to whether this is an original remote or a clone. [See here http://www.avukltd.com/remotecontrolsearch.php?item_id=465085&action=send_details]

At this stage I would much prefer to get an original remote (my experience with clone remotes in the past has not been fantastic!) - and therefore it would be very helpful if someone can give me the information as to the exact model of remote that I should be seeking.

Regards

John A

I have three Panasonic DVD recorders. The remotes will work the other machines. See if there is a replacement for the E85 and use that. Panasonic remotes are pretty cheap anyway.

Why I said the E85 is because they are pretty similar - both with the 80GB hard disk. In fact I think the EH50 was meant as a replacement for the E85.

The No on this E85 remote is EUR7721KJO and it is made in Malaysia. Maybe somebody will give you the EH50 number.

ROYOLD said:
The No on this E85 remote is EUR7721KJO and it is made in Malaysia. Maybe somebody will give you the EH50 number.
Roy

Thanks for that - but the plot now thickens slightly .

When I checked this panasonic site http://www.panasonic.co.uk/customer-support/download-centre.asp where you can down manuals I found that

a) the remote for my machine is shown as EUR7729KEO in the relevant manual - but that is not listed as being available on the Panasonic webs shop.

b) the remote for the EH85 can be either 7721KJO as you mentioned, or 7729KNO (both of which are available and the latter is a bit cheaper)

c) the remote for the EM-EH60D (same generation as the EH50) is 7729KHO - and in the relevant manual it looks very similar to the 7729KEO (which does have some features that the EH85 does not).

Looks like the 7729-series remotes replace the 7721-series (makes some sense), so if I can't get a 7729KEO then I will get the 7729KNO or 7729KHO (if the latter is available - it is currently not listed on the Panasonic site shop.

Many thanks again, I think you have put me on the right track.:thumbsup:

John A

The EH60D is quite different to the EH50. It has Freeview so there is a GUIDE button.

jeallen01 said:
a) the remote for my machine is shown as EUR7729KEO in the relevant manual - but that is not listed as being available on the Panasonic webs shop.John A

Nicky from AV UK Ltd has emailed me back (at 11.30pm on Saturday evening!) to say that the remote that they supply is the original, so I have at least one source of that (will phone Panasonic tomorrow and check their price - AV UK will get the order if there is not much difference - rewarding "above and beyond the call of duty!)
:clap:
John A

sjw said:
The EH60D is quite different to the EH50. It has Freeview so there is a GUIDE button.

Yes, I know about the EH60D differences as I had a look at the remote in the relevant manual - but I suspect that it will happily work the simpler EH50 as well (I could be wrong!)

In fact I nearly bought one of those instead as the same local Comet has one on Manager's Special @£300 but again without remote etc! (West London - pm me if anyone wants details)

Did'nt buy that as you can buy the complete boxed unit for about £400, and I did'nt want to spend that sort of money at the moment.

John

Yes leave the remote for the EH60D out of it. As sjw says its a completely different type recorder. The E85 and EH50 are both analogue with the same 80GB HDD so the buttons will function similarly. Don't know about the two versions for this E85. Maybe the cheaper one you mention is a non European model. See if you can find some pics on Panasonic website or on the net.

On the model I have you can change the IR frequency channel banks to any one of three options. (This is to avoid any clashes with other Panasonic equipment in the same room).

Phoned Panasonic this morning - they have the correct EUR7729KEO remote @£23.20 inc P&P, so I bought one there and then (sorry AV UK Ltd!).

Also pointed out that their site page of remotes and accessories for the DVD recorders is woefully lacking in items which should be listed - like this remote!

The lady seemed genuinely surprised and said that she would alert the relevant people to look into the problem (so it might get fixed!)

jeallen01 said:
Phoned Panasonic this morning - they have the correct EUR7729KEO remote @&#163;23.20 inc P&P, so I bought one there and then (sorry AV UK Ltd!).QUOTE]

They might have the right kit but they are crap at taking orders -> nothing received as of yesterday, so I phoned again. Sent it to the wrong numbered house in my street!:mad:

Hopefully another one will arrive tomorrow morning!:rolleyes:

Still, should have bought from AV UK - then I would have got it last week.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom