1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR E95H

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DaveJH, Jun 20, 2005.

1. DaveJH

DaveJH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panasonic DMR E95H appears to be available at attractive discounts, and seems to have the DVD recoder features plus extras such as features, such as DV and S-video inputs that I can make use of.

However, the DMR E95H seems to have been discontinued early in its life. Is this simply due to the rate of debelopment of new products, or are there any 'problems' with the model. Also, is there an alternative or replacement that I should be considering.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give.

DaveJH

2. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,329
    Out of interest what is the price you've seen it for? About six weeks ago, the prices dropped to about £340 for a multiregion model and then the suppliers with them at that price seemed to run out of stock ---- one of them told me they wouldn't be getting anymore as there was a new model due to be released. This seemed to be in conflict with what Panasonic Customer Support told me i.e. that the new model would be out in September and the E95 would be manufactured through June 2005. Maybe Panasonic dropped the ball leaving themselves without a 160 gig model, or expected people to wait or buy the 80 gig DMR EH50. Whatever, I found one for £349 and grabbed it. A search on Pricerunner shows Richersounds with one for £399 (only available from a store) and the others in the original £600 ish range.

The E95 is a good machine. I have the 40 gig DMR HS2 and wanted the extra capacity of 160 gig so I could do all my (mainly time shifting)recording at XP quality. The picture doing that is superb. There are a few small changes from the HS2, which I find not as good e.g. can't do time slip when the unit is in timer stand by mode, but Panasonic tell me all the new models are like that. However, that is a minor thing compared with 36 hours of recording in XP mode. I am well pleased with my purchase.

3. DaveJH

DaveJH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I based my comments on the RicherSounds price - they have stock locally.

Panasonic no longer list the E95 on their web site, and searches on their web site reveals no knowledge of the E95 !

It doesnt seem a smart move to cut production without a deliverable follow on machine unless there were production or relaibility problems with the E95, or last minute development problems with the follow on machine.

DaveJH

4. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,329
    Just dug out the receipt and had mine for 2 months now and not had any problems with it. A friend of mine, who also has an HS2, bought one at the same time for the same reasons as me, and has had no problems. It's probably worth doing a search on the forums for peoples' comments on the E95 (and the EH50, which will probably be similar to the forthcoming 160 gig drive, EH60, which is rumoured to also have a freeview tuner). It's a pity we don't know what the cost of the new model will be, so as to compare it with the £399 for the E95. £399 is not a bad price though.

There are some other improvements in the new model ---- quick start up and better quality recording at the LP mode. As I only use XP or SP, the latter isn't a bonus for me, and for the cheaper price, I'm prepared to wait longer for start up. Other people may be aware of other advantages and let you know