Panasonic DMR-E95H upgrades and musings.

T

tcliffton

#1 Has anyone cracked open their DMR-E95H DVR and checked out the Hard Drive type? Manufacturer? SATA/ATA/SCSI? RPM? Power Interface? Data Interface? ETC....
I'm still in warranty until October and haven't had the guts, it's been working great so far. I would like to throw a 400Gig harddrive in there if possible though.
It appears that the operating system is in Firmware since you can format the hard disk from the seup utility, so I can't imagine why an upgrade isn't possible. (other than panasonic blocking recognition of larger drives... :)

#2 Has anyone bought the DMR-E500HS yet (400G & ethernet)?
They're about $561 US via pricegrabber this week, and look like a lot of fun.

#3 I did the DMR-E95 firmware update via CD 5/16/05 with FW dated 1-27-05. All went well, was having issues with dropped recordings that I had scheduled. (TV Guide screen said it was recording in the upper left corner but the front display did not indicate recording, and it did not record)
Almost seems like TV Guide related bugs, maybe something changed from the original schedule that didn't match a later download....?

#4 Panasonic's toll free phone number says a new firmware will be pushed down (over the air) beginning May 27th 2005, (not sure if it's the revision I just updated or not...)

Thanks in advance for feedback everyone.....

Yeah would love to know if you can pop in a new hard disk on these machines?

Of course you have to accept voiding the warrenty, but the more important question is - does it work!?

I'm guessing from your post that you're based in the USA. Most posters here are based in the UK and the UK spec DMR-E95 does not have TV Guide functionality. All we get is an analogue tuner and basic timer recording functions, albeit with videoplus.

On the plus side I have the DMR-E500 :D Modded for multiregion too :devil: I also make use of the ethernet connection as it's plugged into my home wireless network. :D :thumbsup:

S.

That's to bad, the TV guide is nice, especially if you don't have cable TV and a on screen channel guide of some kind, (which I don't). It still seems to have bugs though. I have the latest firmware and it's still dropping recordings. Not sure where to turn, called Panasonic already, they were'nt much help.
I'll have to try a week of timer only recordings and see if any of those get dropped.

Any problems with your 500 failing to record previously scheduled timer programs?

tcliffton said:
...Any problems with your 500 failing to record previously scheduled timer programs?
Nope, every timer recording so far (about 20+) has worked perfectly. I was a little worried about this aspect as my dad has a DMR-E100 (he's had his for just over a year) and that has dropped recordings for me in the past (seems to work for him though). My new E500 seems to be perfect so far.

S.

I have read in other posts that the firmware in all of Panasonic's hard drive recorders limits the size of the hard drive that can be used, so you can't put a bigger one in. I have also read a few threads where people have had problems getting it to even recognise any hard drives other than the one that's pre-installed. Most people who've opened their machines up report that the HDs are Samsungs, but I guess there's no reason why Panasonic can't change supplier.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom