Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic DMR-E85H has me puzzled ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by panaman, Oct 11, 2005.

1. panaman

panaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Guys,

I have got a really odd problem that has occurred a few times now, but last night I think I worked out what caused it, but don't know why :confused:

We have an E85 downstairs linked up to Sky and an E50 upstairs linked up to Sky via SkyLink, now for what happened.....

The E50 upstairs was programmed to record Sky 1 and the Sky box had the program set to Auto. We were watching ITV on Sky when the banner popped up to say it was about to change channel to Sky 1 for the recording upstairs, so I turned the TV over to Terrestrial ITV as the program was still on. I then set the E85 downstairs manually to record terrestrial Channel 5 whilst we continued to watch terrestrial ITV. Just before I pressed the record button on the E85 I pressed the Select button on the Sky remote to flick the channel over to Sky 1 as the program had started early.

With me so far???

Anyway all seemed fine and we continued to watch terrestrial ITV. After that had finished we went to watch the program we had recorded on the E85 (terrestrial Channel 5), so we put up the Navigator and there was the thumbnail and description "CH 5 10/10/05", but ....... when we watched it, there was a few seconds of Channel 5, but then we had the Sky 1 program :rolleyes: ....... The strange thing is the picture although nice and clear had some odd, very hard to see interference which reminded me of when I first had the machine set up and I had the scart setting wrong.

Each time it has happened the E50 upstairs has recorded fine.

This problem really has me puzzled and it has probably happened about 3 times in the 1 & 1/2 years we have had the E85.

Any ideas :lease:

2. panaman

panaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Looks like its got everyone stumped :rolleyes:

I am going to try and recreate the problem again, probably won't be able to now that I want to :suicide:

3. panaman

panaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well I have actually managed to recreate the problem today and have worked out what happens, but I don't know why :thumbsdow

Please can anyone help me on this problem :lease:

The finer points of it are:

I set the Panasonic E85 DVD Recorder downstairs to record from Terrestrial Channel 4 starting at 12:50 and finishing at 14:10.

The Sky box (not Sky+) was already set to UK Drama, but I had a programme set in the planner (UK Drama which is 60 minutes long) to switch over automatically at 13:00.

The upstairs E50 recorder wasn't set to record anything and was turned off.

I have just checked my recording and as I suspected the Navigator shows that I recorded Channel 4 with the correct date and program name, but when I actually checked the program I had 10 minutes of the Channel 4 program, then the hour of UK Drama and then 10 minutes of Channel 4 program again :confused: As before the picture has some kind of cross channel interference too :thumbsdow

Soooooooo, the bottom line is no matter what the recorder downstairs is set to record, if there is an item in the Sky planner that occurs at the same time, the recorder will always record the Sky signal :rolleyes:

:lease: :lease: help someone

Thanks in advance

4. panaman

panaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Looks like I am having to deal with this problem on my own :thumbsdow

I Can't believe that noboday has any kind of suggestion at all??? Normally this forum is so helpful :confused:

All I know for definate now is that if the Sky box has something set in the planner to 'Auto', the downstairs recorder will record that program no matter what I have programmed it to record. :suicide:

:lease:

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,481
    How have you got the downstairs recorder connected to the Sky box ?

6. panaman

panaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Wow, thanks for replying :)

It is connected via two Scarts

One straight to the Recorder and one straight to the TV

The Terrestrial aerial goes into the recorder first and then to the Sky box and then to the TV

The upstairs recorder is connected via the skylink.

I used to have the upstairs TV connected just with a doubler coming out the back of the downstairs TV and it worked fine, so I think its since I have bought the SkyLink :(

Hope this is what you need :)

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,481
    I'm wondering if it's picking up a signal from the Sky box (ext link type of thing) ? What do you have your scart socket set to in the E85 setup ?

8. panaman

panaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    That is what I was thinking.... I have just checked my settings....

AV1 Output - Video

AV2 Settings - AV2 Input Video
    AV2 Connection - Decoder (I did try setting this to normal, but I then get a kind of ghosting effect going across the screen)
    Ext Link - Ext Link 1

Thank you