Panasonic DMR E85H Connection Problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by xenu25, Jul 4, 2004.

1. xenu25

xenu25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased a Panasonic DMR E85H DVD Recorder.

My system comprises a SKY Panasonic DB30 digibox a Panasonic PL10 32" Widescreen TV and Panasonic RB62 DVD player and a Panasonic HD680 VHS recorder.

The current system works perfectly. I have the SKY box scart 1 to TV and scart 2 to VCR and the DVD player straight to the TV scart as the TV has only two scarts. So I want to replace the DVD player and the VHS with this new E85 DVD recorder player. I connected the player as per the manual instructions for a sattelite system and the E85 cannnot find any stations? Oh it still will play a DVD disk ok if I use the AVI switch and the SKY box also plays fine but no stations get seen by the new player. I wrote up a small logic diagram and went through every single variation with exactly the same reults. This is rather annoying as the TV is only 14 months old, and maybe it is out of date? I have gold plated scarts for smooth connection.
    Any help would be welcome as I have already refunded on the cheaper Lit-On DVD recorder as that would not do anything at all. At least the E85 gives the Panasonic blue logo and plays DVD's. Perhaps it is just that DVD recorders will not work in the UK on SKY boxes ( I heard this) only on cable. I have to use scart and not RF conecters as TV connecters are under drop down flap and it is messy.
    Panasonic UK are silent on the matter as usual.
    regards
    Phil

2. simonali

simonali
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm maybe being daft here, but surely the RF has to be connected for the recorder to locate channels. If you're only using Scart connectors then you'll only be able to record one of the E85's AV inputs. It's never gonna tune itself in if it's not connected to an aerial. :confused:

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,281
    Your joking aren't you - virtually everyone here uses their DVD recorders to record from Sky!

:eek: You need to connect the E85 as follows:

1) Sky TV Out (the bottom Scart on the Digibox) to AV2 on the Panasonic E85
    2) AV1 on the Panasonic to TV RGB in (probably AV1/EXT1).

In the SETUP menu on the Panasonic you need to ensure that both AV1 and AV2 are set to "RGB". You also need to ensure "RGB" is set on Sky: goto Services/System Setup/Picture Settings to do this. Finally to 'see' Sky on your DVDR you need to set the channel to "AV2" on the E85.

4. rich_jtg

rich_jtg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you want to use the internal tuner then you are going to have to use a coaxial cable at some point. You will also need it if you want the clock to auto set.

I have to admit that I've never come across a TV that has the aerial socket under a flap, it's almost always at the back so you can leave it in permanently. You are not confusing it with the yellow, red and white av sockets that are normally found at the front under a flap?

If you are only using Sky then you can get away with using scart cables, and selecting the corresponding AV input on the E85. My E85 has both Sky and freeview connected to it with no probs.

5. xenu25

xenu25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Every one has been most helpful indeed!http://www.avforums.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1087208&#
    Smilie

In fact I ignored the advice from the Tech guys from the shop I purchased the unit from. All that was wrong was I had neglected to set the DVD Input/Select to A2!!!!!!!

Of course I couldn't tune to a SKY box I would have to use the arial. Except the Arial was chopped out years ago :)))))).

It is all working fine now and the record quality is bloody excellent. I highly recommend this player to anyone.
    The only fault I can find and this may be purely personal is when one pushes any buttons like pause or slow etc there is this online menu screen pops up. It goes after a few seconds but I never had it on the RV63 and it seem s a pointless piece of Japanese add/on. Rather like a menu bar when pressing volume as if one's eyes need to "see" the volume instead of the ears. Otherwise all is A ok and a big thanks to all who replied.
    regards

:)