Panasonic DMR-E85H - Advice Please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jeffuk, Apr 6, 2005.

1. jeffuk

jeffuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I have just upgraded my old pioneer DV-515 player with the Pani E85. As far as the recorder side goes I am over the moon with it, but I'm finding some shortcomings with the DVD player functionality.

Try as I may I cannot find any way of resuming a DVD from the point where I left of viewing - the DVD always restarts from the beginning. This is very frustrating more so because I also cannot find any way of displaying the currently playing chapter before I stop a DVD.

The instruction booklet implies that a resume function is provided simply by reinserting the disk and pressing play.

Am I missing something or could this be a fault on my machine. Any advice, comments greatfully received.

thanks jeff

2. SpacemanSpliff

SpacemanSpliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got an E85, and if I press "status" once on the remote then it will show the current chapter on the machine's LED display. Try it on your E55 and see what happens.

I haven't noticed a "resume" function though...

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,892
    I've just tried it on my E85. Watched part way through and then switched the machine off. When it starts up again it plays from the begining of the DVD and doesn't give me the option to resume.

4. DennyL

DennyL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am finding that the E85 has very basic DVD player functionality. I still haven't found a way, when I'm watching a DVD, of seeing how much longer the DVD still has to play, and which chapter I'm in. Both my previous DVD players had this, as well as the resume function.

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I don't think 'Resume after power off' is a common feature on many DVD players anyway.
    My Pioneer 575A will only remembers the last 5 disks automatically and on my old Pio 717 you had to press 'Mem Pos' for it to remember after power off so I wouldn't hold it against the E85 which i'm sure has a 'Position Memory' button like that of the 717 whoch you have to do manually.

A DVD player only has a limited amount of memory so it would be impossible for it to remember every DVD's ID whic it would need to resume playback after power off.

6. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think by memory, if press stop once, counter will show stop point and play will resume, however if stop pressed twice, then counter will reset and play will start from beginning, if you stop and turn off, then no resume point saved, will try to remember to try when back home and let you know