1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR E85 Viewing Sky when playing hdd/dvd?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by glenferry, Sep 29, 2004.

1. glenferry

glenferry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help me please? :lease:

I have recently bought a Panasonic DMR-E85 and have rigged it up as follows:

DMR-E85 (AV1) to Philips TV (AV1)

Pace Sky box (AV1) to Philips TV (AV2)

Sky box (AV2) to DMR-E85 (AV2)

I also have made an RF connection from the DMR-E85 to the Sky box which (from the second RF outlet on the Sky box) is distributed around the house via a digiamp box.

The other night my wife wanted to watch Sky on the main (Philips) TV and I thought I would watch a DVD I had previously recorded on the Bedroom TV. However, I noticed that after I had pressed play the Philips started displaying the DVD (on AV1) as did all the other TVs. Changing to AV2 on the Philips showed the DVD not Sky. It was also not possible to control or access Sky whilst the DVD was playing - the DMR-E85 seemed to possess AV1 & AV2 on the Philips and the RF signal on all the other TVs.

What do you think is wrong?

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    If I remember correctly, AV2 on the Sky box was originally designed for connection to a VHS recorder. When set to "Play" the video would appear on the Sky Box AV1 (and RF) output to the TV.

The best way to connect the E85 (AV2) is to Skys AV1 and set both to RGB.

Connect AV1 on E85 to the TV AV1 (again both set to RGB).

You could then Connect Sky AV2 to a spare input on the main TV.

Also both RF feeds, Sky and Panasonic E85, will keep their own individual signals and be available around the house.

3. glenferry

glenferry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks johnjackthom - rewired things as you suggested and seems to be ok now.

The only thing I notice now is that when watching Sky direct (ie not through the E85) is that the Sky box AV2 scart doesn't seem to switch the tv to widescreen when it should.
    Any suggestions?

4. Boxadog

Boxadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Glenferry

Unfortunately the output from AV2 of the Sky box is not RGB. It is composite only as it was designed to feed a video recorder. The signal that switches the TV to widescreen (pin 8 of the SCART) is not outputted on this connector. The best way to sort this is to use an active 2 way SCART distributor (available from Lectropacks part No SCAMP2). Connect the input to this to your Sky AV1. Connect one of the outputs to your TV and the other output to your DVD recorder AV2. I use this arrangement and it works well, the TV aspect ratio switches correctly and you get RGB to the TV and the DVD recorder.

5. glenferry

glenferry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Boxadog.

Checked out the Letropacks website - looks like the bit of kit I need. I'll save up my pennies (much depleted after DMR E85 purchase) and treat myself. Thanks again.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Why bother with a Scart splitter (which reduces the quality of the signal). Instead hook up as follows:

Sky TV Out >>> AV2 on the E85 and then AV1 >>> TV EXT1 (RB Input)

Sky VCR Out >>> TV EXT2

Ensure Sky is set to RGB output (Services menu) and likewise for AV1/AV2 on the E85 (Functions/Setup/Connection) and you'll be able to watch and record Sky in RGB quality. In addition you'll benefit from the Timeslip and Chasing Playback options on the E85.

In rare cases when your recording from the internal tuner on the E85 you can still watch Sky in Composite on EXT2 on your TV.

7. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    As regards widescreen switching, it's possible that some channels on Sky carry the line 23 WideScreen Switch signal in the video on AV2 output.

If your TV is like mine and has a menu item to enable WSS you may find it then switches automatically.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Apologies johnjackthom - I didn't see your post giving the connection advice when I made my reply.

9. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    :thumbsup: Veteran Members have right of way!

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    :eek: I didn't see that my tag had been updated. I clearly talk too much :rolleyes:

11. glenferry

glenferry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all for your replies