Panasonic DMR-E85 Timer problem.. warning?

bxd

Hi,

My panny failed to record West Wing and Smallville tonight. When I checked the setup menu, the clock setting was wrong. The 'auto' clock setting "thinks" it's the 28th of August tonight. If I reset manually and then re-engage the 'auto' setting it goes back to the 28th. I've set the time manually for now.

I don't know if this problem is particular to my panny, or if it's a problem on other machines ... but people might want to check that their timers are OK.

Brian.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
The auto-clock settings on VCRs and DVDRs take the time from the broadcast signals...if you lose the signal or your signal is a bit flaky you get date/clock corruption...I never trust auto-clock myself and prefer to adjust manually if needed.

bxd

JayCee,

I'm aware that the signal is sent with the broadcast. While I don't generally trust the PDC information, the general time is usually OK. I live in an area where we do seem to have our "fair share" of short power outages over the years. I've used the 'auto' setting on my vcrs (and my dvd-r) for a number of years without any problems. My vcrs are all fine tonight and the problem is only affecting the panny. This may be an issue for other people who use this recorder or it may be an issue within this broadcast region. My signal is off the Hannington transmitter up in the Basingstoke/Reading area.

Brian

maldonian

It's happened to me on several occasions. An incorrectly set date in the Ceefax clock seems to be the culprit. In some cases the date on Ceefax was still incorrect when I checked it after noticing the recorder's date was incorrect.

Pannys seem to be particularly susceptible to this. It's just a guess, but it may be because they seem to allow the auto clock to make large corrections (24 hours) whereas other makes (e.g. JVC) only allow small corrections (no more than a few minutes normally and possibly +/- 1 hour for BST/GMT switching).

A workaround is to switch the auto clock off, and to regularly check for (and correct) any clock drift. That's what I do now.

See these previous threads

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224179

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235111

Hal_loe

I'm aware that the signal is sent with the broadcast. While I don't generally trust the PDC information, the general time is usually OK. I live in an area where we do seem to have our "fair share" of short power outages over the years. I've used the 'auto' setting on my vcrs (and my dvd-r) for a number of years without any problems. My vcrs are all fine tonight and the problem is only affecting the panny. This may be an issue for other people who use this recorder or it may be an issue within this broadcast region. My signal is off the Hannington transmitter up in the Basingstoke/Reading area.

I also receive my signal from Hannington and over the years have suffered with incorrect time settings on VCR / DVD Recorders.

As a result I gave up using the auto setting.

Also I have noticed several times the clock, both date and time for BBC2 ceefax when viewing via teletex has been totally wrong.

I can actually see the transmitter from my road.

Guess it just occasionally goes wrong....

Hope that helps.

bxd

Guys,

Thanks for your comments. The two threads (posted by Maldonian) were a useful read. This is the first time I've ever experienced this problem (I know it can happen) so my post was more about "warning" anyone else who might have their E85 set up for a recording.

I don't have any kit that can display teletext so I haven't been able to check to see if the date is off on BBC1.

Brian

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom