Panasonic DMR-E85 NTSC Recordings?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by steveru, Jan 15, 2005.

1. steveru

steveru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently using my DMR-E85 DVD/HDD player to capture VHS footage which I transfer to DVD. The videos are filmed on a Panasonic 'PAL' analogue video camera and played on a Panasonic 'PAL' video recorder. Just by chance I analysed the footage on my PC and was confused to find that the footage had been captured in 'NTSC' format.

I have emailed Panasonic asking if this is a fault but as the DMR-E85 was purchased as a multi-region player they have not replied.

Has anybody else experienced this? Could someone please test this to see if this is normal?

Many thanks,
    Steve

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,071
    I'm no expert on this hardware, but I'd be very surprised if it has a standards converter on board. Does playback of the said video look jerky at all?

3. steveru

steveru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nigel,
    Thanks for the quick response.

Playback looks as smooth as the original.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,071
    Supports the view (only that - I don't know) that it's the PC that's lying. If this was a PAL > NTSC standards conversion (done in any other way than by a Snell & Willcox Broadcast Standard multi-field interpolator (!) ) - I suspect there would be visible artefacts........very jagged lines and/or incorrect aspect ratio, jerkiness of movement.

5. okcomputer331

okcomputer331

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can set the panasonic to record in NTSC or PAL . What is your recorder set to?

Functions > Setup >Connection > TV System

6. steveru

steveru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's set to PAL as the NTSC setting causes the Plasma display to go black and white.

7. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although Panasonic recorders can record NTSC,its only pure NTSC.A UK vcr will output NTSC as PAL 60,and only Philips and Pioneer recorders will record PAL 60.If the E85 is recording ok,then its in PAL

8. steveru

steveru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info guys, but I think Nigel hit the nail on the head with the problem. For some strange reason the DVD-Video disk that my DMR-E85 produces when it captures the video is read by "Smart Ripper" as NTSC encoded in MPEG 1 (see insert). The second "Smart Ripper" image is of a purchased DVD-Video to compare the results.

Now I'm not a guru when it comes to DVD's but AFAIK DVD's are encoded using MPEG 2 compression where as VCD's are MPEG 1, so the information must be being read incorrectly.

Anyway, I have also attached an image from "VirtualDub" which hopefully shows the correct information that the DMR-E85 does in fact capture and produce DVD's in PAL format. :thumbsup:

Regards,
    Steve

PS Any ideas why the disks are being read incorrectly?

Attached Files: