Panasonic DMR-E85, NTL, progressive scan and much confussion?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by tygar, Aug 28, 2004.

1. tygar

tygar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Newbie Question!

I am planning to by a DVD Recorder and was at first set on the JVC DVR M10 the features I liked most were the set top box control I also got the impression from the review that the signal through from the STB scart to the recorders scart in and progressive scan out through component to my projector? I'm I just creating this in my head or is this a possibility? I'm now also considering the Panasonic DMR-E85 can it control my NTL pace 4000?

Any light on the subject gratefully appreciated.

Tygar

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,560
    The Panasonic E85 cannot control your set-top box but the Toshiba RDXS32 can which is another machine you should consider if planning to buy a HDD/DVDR combo. On the JVC, Panasonic and Toshiba range you can watch in progressive scan whether watching a DVD or the tuner.

3. Philbill

Philbill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use an E85, old Sharp VHS player and a pioneer 757Ai all connected to my amp which sends the video to an Infocus 5700 projector.
    The amp can switch between the 2 DVD players and the old video can display its picture via the E85. I am also in the process of transfering my old videos to DVD.
    I am most impressed with the TV signal from the Pan E85, the pict ure is very good via my projector.
    Phil

4. Nicky

Nicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i've got a Tosh XS32, but I'm doing a similar thing. Netgem STB via RGB Scart to Tosh, then out via component to a plasma. this works but it has a couple of downsides:

The DVD recorder has to be on to do RGB -> component conversion. I'm pretty sure this is true of the E85 as well. This means you have whatever noise the fan makes in the background. How big an issue this is depends on how loud your fan happens to be, possibly more of an issue on the Tosh, and whether you mind turning the machine on/off everytime you just want to watch the NTL channels.

On the Tosh interlaced -> progressive conversion is nothing special. My screen does it better.

The upside is you do save on cables though.

Nick