Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic DMR-E85 faulty?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dene, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Dene

Dene
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Panasonic DMR-E85 in May (multi-region capable).

It was working fine until a couple of weeks ago. Then it started to reject discs -- or rather, it comes up on screen that there is no disc. I phoned the company I bought it from, and they said to try a lens cleaner. Apparently a problem with DVD recorders is that they gather dust very easily(?).

This seemed to work, but sometimes it still doesn't play discs (of whatever region). If you re-boot, that usually does the trick.

An addition problem now is that it won't 'finalise' any of my DVD-Rs once I've copied onto them. I'm currently using discs manufactured by Ritek (but the very same set were working fine up until a few weeks ago). It starts to finalise, then a message comes up saying "Finalising has failed". Dubbing onto the disc in the first place, from the HDD, had its problems too and didn't work initially.

Surely there must be something wrong with the disc drive? I can't say I'm too chuffed about this, it was an expensive piece of equipment to be breaking down after 6 months.

Any advice from anyone? Thanks in advance.

2. Dene

Dene
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone...?

3. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are using the same batch of discs that previously worked with great success (as opposed to a new batch of the "same" spec) then I would say that the machine is faulty. This is also shown by the fact that you aren't having much luck with reading prerecorded DVDs either. It should still be within guarantee so return it.

4. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Contact Panasonic directly, there should have been a helpline number with your machine, I found them to be very helpful and if after following out their suggestions you still have a problem then just go back to the retailer and tell them that you spoke to Panasonic directly to troubleshoot the problem and they have confirmed that it is broken and requires replacement/repair.

5. Dene

Dene
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys -- I think I will speak to Panasonic first, great idea.