Panasonic DMR-E85 Ext Link

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tellyfiend, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Tellyfiend

Tellyfiend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    For ease of recording (i.e. only having to set one timer) I use the epg on my digibox to output (in composite from the VCR scart) to AV2 on my Panasonic DMR-E85.

The results are actually very good, but obviously recordings are not as good as RGB. The manual clearly indicates that the TV scart of digiboxes will not "wake up" the recorder to start recording.

I wondered if S-video would work as an ext link.

S-video is outputted
    1) via the s-video socket of sky+ or a thomson 4000 pvr
    2) optionally through the VCR scart of Humax, Fusion and some other dtt boxes

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Providing s-video is available from the VCR scart on your digibox then External Link should work as it does with composite.
    External Link will not usually work with the TV-out scart on an external box because in most cases the TV-out is not activated when the box turns on from stand-by under its timer control

3. Tellyfiend

Tellyfiend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Eddyad,

What about the separate s-video sockets? Are they really mirroring the TV or the VCR scart?

Fiend

4. micke

micke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you say:

do you then mean the manual for your digibox? Otherwise (i.e. if you mean the E85 manual) I advice you to try (if you haven't already done this):

E85:

AV2 Connection = Ext
    Ext Link = Ext Link 1

This "wakes up" my E85 and I have the TV scart of the digibox connected to the E85 AV2. The digibox manual doesn't state it "...transmits a special control signal signal...", but it does work for me.

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The s-video socket is probably mirroring the TV-out so you can use s-video & audio cables instead of scart to the TV.

I meant to use s-video in the VCR-out scart, assuming it can be switched to s-video. A scart to the E85 is necessary for Ext Link because the wake-ip signal uses scart pin 8 - not available in the s-video socket.

6. apoel

apoel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you guys know, i want to buyan e85 from england to use it in cyprus. here in cyprus we have PAL G/H/B, not PAL-I as in england. will it work?

7. Tellyfiend

Tellyfiend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks eddyad, might see if I can borrow someone's digibox with a S-Video VCR setting.

Miche, what is your digibox TV scart set to (RGB or S-Video or Pal/CVBS/Composite) and what is the corresponding Panny AV2 set to (RGB or S-Video or Pal/CVBS/Composite)

Also, I presume Ext link only works through the E85's AV2 and not through other input sockets.

8. micke

micke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have:

digibox TV scart set to RGB
    Panny AV2 set to RGB

9. Tellyfiend

Tellyfiend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Miche,

As you state this shouldn't work, but I'll try it !!!