Panasonic DMR-E85 decided not to buy

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bonzobanana, Apr 9, 2005.

1. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Was going to buy one of these now that they are going sub £300. However where I wanted to get one they don't do them multiregion and I believe I'm correct in saying there is no easy multiregion hack for these? I can see you can purchase a special one off remote but I can't see anywhere that tells you how to do it yourself with a pda or other remote. Are there no free ways of making it multiregion?

Also I've read the component output is a bit grainy. Is this definitely true? I use reasonable but not amazing component cables and using my Limit DVDA900SE they give superb results.

Is it true that Panasonic don't bother to update and correct issues with uk/euro spec machines and rarely provide firmware updates?

Is there any other model at a comparable price that has similar features?

Basically what I want is;

Good solid unit
    large capacity hard drive
    scart RGB input
    pal/ntsc progressive component output
    dvd recordable drive
    multiregion hackable or enabled without additional expense
    good performance all round.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Making the Panasonic E85 multi-region* requires a complex sequence of codes (about 42 of them, I think) which contain "characters" which are not produceable by a normal remote, and an error anywhere in the sequence could make the machine totally unusable. The one-shot programmers use a chip pre-programmed with the sequence, and they come with all the instructions you need. I used one on a Panny E50 that I owned before I owned a E85.

It's a pity that you've decided against the E85. I've now owned two Panasonics, and I think they give the best picture out of all the makes.

*Most "multi-region" machines are really only machines capable of Regions 1 & 2.

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    multiregion is done using a service remote control, extra buttons
    Most suppliers charge £10 extra for doing the multi region.

4. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Multizonedvd do multiregion free but I am not sure how much they are charging for the E85.

5. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

RS sells the E85 as multiregion and i don't think that there are any major 'issues' with UK spec machines.

Brian

6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Well after looking at some later models which all look a bit tacky/plasticky I was drawn back to the Panasonic. Decided to get one from pixmania of france. I've got enough multiregion dvd players anyway that I'm sure I can survive without the Panasonic also being multiregion.

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/91933/art/panasonic/dmr-e85hebs-diga-dvd-reco.html

Its a bit cheaper than the uk dealers and they offer a larger 120gig hard drive and 2 year guarantee instead of one year. Cost is about £265 delivered (using a £10 off voucher). Its the best deal I could find. Paid by credit card to give me some extra insurance. Also stored an archive of the web page just in case an 80gig model turns up and I have to complain about it.

7. arcamalpha

arcamalpha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did'nt know panasonic did a 120 gb hard drive on the e85, I have the 80 gig one.

Good luck.

8. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I think the usa version was always 120gig. Maybe when they wound down production of the european model they only had 120gig hard drives left to put in them.

9. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Component output from my E85 is excellent. Feeds a viera 42 which would expose any deficiencies very obviously!

Don't discount the E85 on this basis if you want to make a saving compared to EH50 (though latter not much more expensive). Whichever machine you get you'll find Panasonic has brilliuant edit facilities when it comes to archiving, transfer from old videos etc. Appreciate these facilities more the more I use it.

10. Robin Davies

Robin Davies
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whaaat? Is this really true? I'm planning to get a DVD recorder but it must be able to play regions 1-6 like my old player.

11. DAS

DAS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My multi-region E55 plays an Australian DVD.

12. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Multi-region only implies that it will play more than one. It's something you must take up with the supplier when you purchase. My Panny E95 is only programmed to play Region 1 & 2 DVD's, but I don't have DVD's from any other region to confirm or deny. To be honest, the Panny E85 and E95 are a bit lacking on features in the DVD player department, and I usually use my old faithful chipped Tosh 3109 to watch DVD's.

13. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Most australian dvds are also region 2, they are dual region. The only ones I have that aren't are the ntsc region 4 dvds. I think these were meant for south america but are also sold in australia.

14. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Yeah the EH50 was another model I was considering but I couldn't find it anywhere near the pixmania price and of course it has a much smaller hard drive but the greater media writing compatibility, extra features and 12bit DA converter for better colour gradience instead of the 85's 10bit are welcome features. Also pixmania offer a 2 year guarantee as standard on the 85. However if the pixmania deal goes sour I suspect I'll be looking at the EH50 again.

15. arcamalpha

arcamalpha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

A usa version? dont wish to sound alarmist here, but be careful its not a grey import, make sure its uk spec with the 120 gig HD, otherwise you'll have probs regarding warranty.

16. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Its described as pal I, Region 2. Its not like its secam or ntsc. We shall see what turns up if anything. Its obviously an import though as its coming from france. Pixmania are pretty clued up on selling hardware to the uk and I doubt there will be any problems with the spec but you never know.

17. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the Pixmania model a UK spec machine. If you are buying a machine intended for the French market, you may find that the tuner will not work with the UK PAL standard. A number of people from these forums have realised that "foreign" bargains have hidden pitfalls.

18. DAS

DAS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I put my Australian DVD in my PC's drive and it's come up as Region 4 only (Oz and S.America). This plays fine in my E55.

19. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    It will be a uk spec model I'm sure but whether its official uk stock is another matter.

20. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I think something like 70% of australian dvds are dual region from memory. Certainly all my pal ones are but I only have about six of those I think.

21. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Got the model today and its a 80gig hard drive fitted so now have to sort it out. At least I get to play with it until they organise its collection. Apart from that seems fine. They supplied a 2 pin to 3pin adaptor but the actual mains cable supplied was a uk type lead anyway. Basically everything seems fine except it has the standard 80gig hard drive.

22. stem

stem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi bonzobanana. It's funny I should notice this thread as I was just on to pixmania this morning to ask what size the HD was as all of the reviews I have read have stated a 80 gig HD and their site said 120 gig. The lady confirmed that it was a mistake on the website.

I'm still thinking of picking one of these up however. I'd like to hear what you think of it after 'playing' with it for a while. Also, can anyone tell me what sort of -r media work best with them?

23. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I've had a good test of it now. Disappointed about the hard drive obviously and pixmania customer service is pretty hopeless. Still legally there is no contract of sale as the goods are different to those described and of course I paid by credit card so I am protected as its well over £100. The only consolation is I get to play with it until they sort out collection.

With regards the unit its fantastic and once the pixmania model is collected will probably buy it again from somewhere else. I sacrificed multiregion because the pixmania model had a larger hard drive but now will look to get a multiregion version at a similar price. I find the model very easy to use, yet it has extensive great features. It has exceeded my expectations in a big way and is a tasty looking bit of hardware as well. Picture and sound quality seem excellent. Maybe I'll change to a different model but I think I'm commited to Panasonic now. As long as the later models have nothing taken away and simply add extra features I will certainly consider them.

24. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Pixmania have offered £20 off as a good will gesture. So I'm going with that. Effectively making it £245 with a 2 year guarantee.

25. shyewei

shyewei

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    pixmania have now correct the web page - reads 80Gb!

26. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Have they corrected the recording time though? Last time I looked they still had it at over 200 hrs when it should be about 140. Bought some cheap hyundai dvd-rs for mine (as well as my pc dvd writer) and they work a treat.

http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/product...-100&session=5967b38fe665272df266d3504ea65ee5

Even wrote at 16x without problems and verified no problem at the end. Damn good media for the price. The Panasonic had no problem high speed recording to them. The free cd/dvd case is quite nice too. Easily worth a couple of quid or more.