Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic dmr E55

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sugarandspice20, Apr 6, 2005.

1. sugarandspice20

sugarandspice20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Can someone help.
    I have a panasonic E55 ,bought as a christmas present . I am not technically minded . my son set it up for us (me and hubby).Well we have been using it since christmas with no problems . I use it just like a video recorder. I record programmes and erase them when i have watched them using ram discs.
    It is now the beginning of april and it seems to be playing up, when i put a disc in it wont read it or it reads it and gives me an error message of unformat.
    Why does it do this when i have been using the discs since christmas. Some discs which i have recorded on are okay, and also sometimes when i try to erase a programme it says it is not possible . Could it be that it needs cleaning but in the manual it says it might need cleaning after about a year.
    I am using panasonic ram discs. Thanks in advance to anyone who help.. :confused:

2. troels

troels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you check your discs for fingerprints etc.?

3. sugarandspice20

sugarandspice20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My discs are clean to the eye. :eek:

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,483
    You haven't stuck labels on them have you ? I seem to remember people having problems when they have labeled DVDs
    Edit- Just had another thought, have you used these discs in a RAM writer on a PC ? Some combinations of DVD writers and RAM discs can cause problems as noted in other threads here.

5. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried the reformat disc function ?, maybe lost data from finger print or dust, try cleaning disc with optical quality lens cleaner cloth and reformatting disc, if still a problem maybe result of nicotine or cooking smoke, i dont know if you do or is related, but these tend to fog up the objective lens, which needs manual cleaning, just a thought

6. sugarandspice20

sugarandspice20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No i havent stuck any labels on them and i havent used them on any other machine.
    I did go through the functions control and reformatted one disc and it did that , so i lost all the programmes that i had recorded. Therefore i am loathe to do that to the others .

I am going out to buy disc cleaner and the disc that you put in the machine to clean the lens?. will post later and let you know.

Thanks for all responses :)

7. happyhooker

happyhooker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just had exactly the same problem with my E50 (18 months old). Richer Sounds say they can't fix it and are giving me a replacement under their extended warranty. The warranty only cost £19 so I'm glad I took it.

8. sugarandspice20

sugarandspice20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i bought the lens cleaner disc and disc cleaning cloths.

First off it made no difference, I have 3 discs that i wasnt able to use, they all say unformat . When i go into functions and try to format the disc it says "unable to format this is a non recordable disc" the other disc i was able to format and used last night . these are all ram discs. I think i am going to have it taken back to the shop. :confused:

9. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you using cartridge type RAM disc ? , maybe write protect TAB ?
    If non cartridge type, maybe sence lever pins sticking that detects cartridge and write protect

10. happyhooker

happyhooker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take it back - it's exactly the problem I had. Richer Sounds gave me a brand new E55 as a replacement as it was uneconomical to repair it.

11. sugarandspice20

sugarandspice20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What i dont understand is why it will not read these discs. i have got a lot of other discs which i have recorded tv programmes on and it reads those