1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic dmr-e55

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RW2003, Jan 20, 2005.

1. RW2003

RW2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently purchased the Panasonic dmr-e55. Successfully recorded onto the first DVD-R that I put in. Was able to record from TV signal as well as from a VHS deck. But that is it! Each time I try to create another recording on another disk, the machine goes into Self Check mode and after a while says "Bye". It then ejects the disk and says that the media is bad. I cannot make anymore recordings! The machine does the same for any new DVD-R disk that I try to use.

I called the Panasonic 800 service number. The rep said that the machine wasn't bad and was doing what it should do. He claimed the media was bad and said that I should use disks made by Panasonic, Pioneer, Fuji, Verbaitim or Sony. I'm using Fuji disks! He also said that the machine writes a 1X so I should not buy disks that are rate higher (4X, 8X, etc).

I find this hard to believe! I've been writing to CD and DVD on my PC and have never had problems with bad media.

I'm going to return the machine to the store where I bought it but my question is should I simply exchange it for another DMR-E55 and hope the new one works better? Or should I get a different make?

I read good ratings for the Panasonic unit... I wish it would work!

2. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    4x DVD-R should work fine. Maybe you have a bad batch of disks, have you tried another brand?

3. zenki200

zenki200

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have used Sony and Maxell DVD-R disc and Panasonic DVD-RAM discs with mine. No problems so far.

4. CeeGee

CeeGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ridata -R 4x, Bulkpaq -R 4x, are both fine on mine

5. joffy1780

joffy1780

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I've had problems recording from Sky Movies and Film Four in the past(ntl home),but never had any problems recording to dvd-r from any other channels inc.E4 and other subscription channels.
    Probably way off but I thought I'd mention it.RAM discs work perfectly on any channel though.

I use Datasafe 4x so I don't think the write speed has any bearing.

6. ROZ

ROZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got a few types of RAM and R disks. Never had a problem with them.

7. Lordfozzie

Lordfozzie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I always used Panasonic DVD RAM and Sony, Maxell, DVD-R disks. The only problems I experience are with misreading on the DVD RAM which has always been caused by a finger print or similar on the disk surface

8. gamerfreak2002

gamerfreak2002
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panasonic DVD recorder as well (and e75 something? It was bought in Dec 2004 and is a dual-deck VHS recorder and DVD recorder) and I have this problem.

For me it very much seems to be a media problem.
    I had a good batch of Khypermedia discs and then a bad run of Memorex discs and now I'm having good luck with some TDK ones.
    I've found that if I let it go through that incredibly long, annoying, "self-check" (and you have no choice - cancelling this isn't an option unless maybe you pull the plug), it will then record on the disc.
    Sometimes it has to do this several times though.
    Extremely annoying.

Also, I've heard that the branding on blank DVDs is awful - there are very few factories in the world that make them and then the discs are just stamped with whatever brand they need to be for that day.
    So, Memorex and TDK discs might come off the same assembly line and be the exact same disc, just labeled and sold differently.

I definately confirmed that on the TDK discs I bought, some spindles of them said they there made in Japan and others said they were made in ... Korea (I think).