1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR E55

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by johnuk362000, Dec 2, 2004.

1. johnuk362000

johnuk362000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum as I'm looking for my first DVD Recorder.

My requirements are listed below. I have seen and quite like the Panasonic E55 are there any better recorders with my price range.

Main Use :-

1. Archiving old videos (VHS PAL Format) to DVD
    2. As I have Sky+ I wish to move some my girlfriends saved movies onto DVD to release space and allow her to watch them on standard dvd player in Bed.
    3. Occassionall record films directly to DVD via Sky+
    4. I have a budget of up to about £200 as this is an addon Christmas present. (No sure what my main one is but an Aston Martin would be nice
    :)

Any advice would be gratefully received as I have been reading this forum and looking at specs all day and I'm just getting :censored: confused

Thanks

John

2. morgs

morgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    well, as a newbie, who received lots of posts to a similar question

The one constant model was the Panasonic E55

It seems to do the things you want (V. similar to mine) with some pretty good reports of reliability

I've ordered one (not yet arrived) but having read a lot of strings and a lot of posts, I'm happy to be paying the £183 (inc del) from Dixons for a mahine that cost a lot more, a few months ago!!

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Just a few comments -

1 - the Panasonic will refuse to record anything that has Macrovision on it (which includes VHS commercial movies) - you will need to buy a cable or box which removes it. It also applies to some Sky PPV movies. Movies on the normal Sky Movies channels are usually OK to record.

2 - the DVD's which you record on this or any other recorder will not play in some older DVD players. Most modern DVD players will play home-recorded DVD's.

3 - you can only record the sound in stereo (2-channel Dolby Digital) which means that you will get Dolby Surround on Sky Movies films, but not 5.1.

The Panasonic E55 is a good recorder - I have its predecessor (the E50) and it has been great.

4. morgs

morgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think (and from what some very experienced members have told me) that to get a "better" recorder, you would have to spend a significant amount more of your hard earned

still happy! And it hasn't even arrived yet!

Hopefully, by the weekend, I'll be burning the DVDs of my new son!!

Morgs

5. mercman1969

mercman1969
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1 - the Panasonic will refuse to record anything that has Macrovision on it (which includes VHS commercial movies) - you will need to buy a cable or box which removes it. It also applies to some Sky PPV movies. Movies on the normal Sky Movies channels are usually OK to record..............

Which players will allow copying of macrovision??

Also been looking at pan E55....but if it is not alot more money to get a macrovision enabled machine with the same features as the E55......what is the model and where do i get it

That way, i can record all of my wifes sad old movies from VHS and send her sick nan the original VHS's...thus freeing up some room for more DVD's

6. johnuk362000

johnuk362000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for the reply.

Had not thought about the Macrovision problem, it seems that all the recorders have this problem/feature :(

I'll have to give it more thought.

Thanks again.

John