Panasonic DMR-E55 tuning problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MRawl2, Nov 6, 2005.

1. MRawl2

MRawl2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having problems with the sound when I tune in the tv stations on my Panasonic DMR-E55 Dvd recorder. I have done the auto set up and all the TV stations are there . The problem is with the sound. All I get is a loud hissing noise instead of the proper sound. I am sure it is something simple. Can anybody help me. Many thanks

2. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Has it ever worked properly? Was it imported from another country?

From your description it sounds like the recorder might be fitted with the wrong tuner for the country you are in. Analogue TV tuners for use in the UK, for example, must conform to the PAL I standard which has a 6 MHz sound to vision spacing. PAL I is only used in a few countries. Most European countries use PAL G which has a 5.5 MHz spacing. If you try to use a PAL G recorder in the UK you will get pictures but no sound. Normally the sound is muted if there is no signal, but if the picture is present but not the sound it's quite possible you will get a loud hissing noise instead of the sound - it depends on how the muting works.

If you are in the UK, Panasonic recorders intended for use in the UK have model numbers ending in EB. The full model number is on the box and on the back panel of the recorder.

Apart from this, it could be a cabling fault, but I would expect silence rather than a loud hiss. Or it could be a fault in the recorder.

3. MRawl2

MRawl2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A tenant of mine from an arab country left it for me. It is possible he imported it. The model number ends in GC. It plays dvds fine. So probably he was just using it as a dvd player and not using the tuner. Do you know what country GC could be? Is there anything I can do to make it work in UK.
    I would be grateful for any help you can offer.
    Many thanks

4. Delh68

Delh68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    If u have a SKY or Freeview box, you can connect them via scart (assuming this model has scart sockets on the back?), & you should then be able to record BBC1,2,3 that way, selecting A2 on the E55 as the channel to record.

You should hear the audio via this method

hth
    Delh68

5. MRawl2

MRawl2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks ill try that. Would it work if I plugged a video into it using a scart lead and using the tuner in the video machine as the tuner?
    Martin

6. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Sorry, no.

Yes. You can use any piece of equipment that has a tv tuner and a suitable connector (or connectors) - a video recorder, a digital STB (set-top box), or even your TV. A digital STB with an RGB output will give you the best picture quality. A video recorder will give lower quality because it will only have a composite output (or s-video if it is SVHS), but if you only have a modest TV you may be perfectly happy with this. If you want to use the timer in the video recorder to change channel you may find it will only work if the recorder has a tape in it. If you use your TV as the tuner you will only be able to record the channel you're watching.

You're getting an early taste of what it will be like for lots of people when the analogue switch-off happens. Your best bet, if you can receive Freeview in your area, is to buy a dedicated Freeview STB for the recorder. Make sure it can be configured to output RGB and that it has a timer for making timed recordings, preferably coupled with an EPG.

Whichever method you use, timer recording will be less straightforward without a useable tuner in the recorder.

7. MRawl2

MRawl2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot. I am using the video as a tuner and it works fine. Picture quality is ok so that solves my problem. I simply set the dvd recorder to av2 and select the channel I wish to record on the video. I may eventually get a freeview box but for now I am ok.
    Many thanks to everyone who helped me. It shows how effective this forum is.

8. rx4age

rx4age

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can use your tuner on the dvd recorder:
    Go to Setup , Tuning , Manual, now you will see all the channels, select a channel, then audio mode, then select I or DK, you will hear the improvement in sound immediately. Here in South Africa I have to select I, on DK it makes a hissing sound . Dont know if it is the same in the UK, but I think you also use the PAL-I system there
    Regards

9. rx4age

rx4age

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to mention that you have to set every channel to I seperately. Took me a while to work that one out.....

10. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Yes, PAL-I is used in the UK. The version of the E85 sold in the UK does not have the audio mode selection you describe. I assume the E55 is the same. The only audio option in the manual tuning settings is Nicam On (auto) or Off. The UK version has a full model number ending in EB.

At a guess, the model you have is a non-Nicam version, for use in countries using PAL-I without Nicam stereo and also in countries using PAL-D/PAL-K. As a matter of interest, what is the full model number?

11. rx4age

rx4age

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The full model number is DMR-E60GK.Bought from a local shop a few months ago . One of the channels here, E-tv, is broadcasted in Nicam stereo, and the dvd tuner picks it up, also the "normal" stereo on the satellite channels.

12. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    My guess about Nicam was wrong then.

The international (multi-standard) version of a Panasonic recorder has a model number ending in GCS, and it can receive PAL B/G (5.5MHz), I (6MHz) and D/K (6.5MHz), plus SECAM and NTSC. Perhaps the 'G' in GCS stands for Global and perhaps the several Gx versions, including MRawl2's GC and your GK, are variants with limited multi-standard capability. But I'm guessing again, and I could easily be wrong again.

Anyway, I for one didn't know how the standard is selected in a multi-standard version, and it's interesting that it's done channel by channel. So thank you for this information. (And fingers crossed that it helps MRawl2.)