Panasonic DMR-E55 tuning problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by russandlizzee, Jul 18, 2004.

1. russandlizzee

russandlizzee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased a new Panasonic DMR-E55 and I am having some trouble tuning in to the terrestrial TV channels that are received via the usual TV aerial. I get perfect pictures yet only white noise for sound. (I had no problems with my VCR and, essentially, the DVD-R has just replaced that.)

I also have the unit linked to my cable set-top box via the usual array of scart cables and I have no problems. Where it does present a problem is if I want to watch something on Cable yet record a programme on, say, BBC 1.

Has anybody else experienced this or, more importantly, has anybody got any ideas for possible solutions?

2. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assume you are in the UK and this is a UK model as the audio subcarrier frequencies for PAL vary in parts of the world and could give this problem. I don't have the DMRE55 but some HDD/DVD machines do have several options to cater for different PAL systems - If the DMRE55 has such an option, it should be set to PAL-I

3. Dave9946

Dave9946

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should need to make no changes as such (just got my E55 at the weekend) to tune in the tv channels.

All I did prior to switching on was to connect the scart from the E55 to the tv & the airial into the rf in & switch on the machine. It then auto scanned & everything worked fine.

The setup is auto so did you switch on prior to connecting the arial to the rf in?.

I also have my Freeview box connected via the second scart & my SS1 (pc based sat tuner) card connected via the rear audo\visual cables, all work fine here.

Dave9946

4. russandlizzee

russandlizzee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tabatha. Thanks for the response. What you say interests me. The machine actually came from France and I live in the UK. Will this make a difference, and, if so, how do I amend it?

5. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well that's even more interesting as the French do not use PAL at all - they use a system called SECAM. I have never tried tuning into a SECAM signal with a PAL tuner. If you have a manual for the set, look at the specifications which are usually detailed somewhere near the back and look for a section that says something like "Television System - Tuner System" - If you see the letters SECAM as opposed to PAL-I I think you are in trouble as far as the tuner is concerned. If the tuner is SECAM then the output will be the same. As you can see the picture on your TV I assume you have a multi-standard TV.

6. russandlizzee

russandlizzee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tabatha. The manual says that the tuner system can be "PAL-BGH" and then lists the different channel coverage for VHF, UHF & CATV and then, underneath, it lists the same for "SECAM-L L'"

Does this mean anything to you? Can you still help?

7. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry but the machine is incompatible with the UK PAL-I standard. It looks like it is a machine designed for mainland Europe as Secam-L is used in France, Luxembourg and Monaco.

PAL B/G is used in most other mainland European countries such as Holland, Germany, Austria, Denmark, Italy, Belgium, Luxembourg, Portugal, Spain etc.

PAL H is used in very few countries - I can only think of Belgium where it is rarely used along with the preferred PAL B

I'm afraid the tuner is definitely designed for mainland Europe and is pretty much useless here in the UK.

The reason I asked if your TV was a multi-standard one is that I suspect that the RF output will also be SECAM or PAL B,G or H and as you stated the picture was fine, I suspected it could receive the SECAM RF output from the DMRE55.

Unless you are happy to use it in a non-RF mode (ie forget using the aerial input and outputs) - the best bet is to try and sell it on ebay making sure you offer to sell it internationally - particularly to people in France, Luxembourg and Monaco !

8. russandlizzee

russandlizzee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ouch. But thank you very much for your time. It has been very enlightening. (Some might say too much.) But thanks again.