1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR-E55 & Smartlink

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Moggy, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Moggy

Moggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just purchased a Panasonic E55 and am very pleased with the performance. Just one problem - when trying to use the "Direct TV Rec" button I get the message "your TV is not suitable for this function......". The set is on and tuned to a digital channel. In the Panasonic manual it says that Q-Link is compatible with my set's Smartlink, so this should work. Similarly I can't get the Panasonic to timer record just using the EPG on the Sony, again a function that should work via Smartlink/Q-Link. The set is a Sony KD28DL10U - connection Sony AV2 to Panasonic AV1. I would welcome some advise on this......

2. Acecross

Acecross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hello there:

I have managed to get the E55s Q-Link to work with the smartlink function on my D800 Sony Freeview box.

I had to Plug the E55's AV1 SCART into the Sonys VCR Scart using a fully wired scart cable. You then need to go from the Sonys TV Scart to the TV effectively daisy chaining the units to the TV.

This should allow the Smartlink function to work and you should be able to record straight from the EPG. You need to have the Smartlink function turned on on the Sony.

The only problem is, this only allows recording in Video, not RGB, which is a pain. It seems that only the VCR Scart on the sony is Smartlink enabled, and only the TV scart RGB.

I think it is still passing a RGB signal through the VCR Scart, so I still get the best quality when watching DVDs through the E55.

If anyone knows how to get the smarlink function working and record in RGB I would love to know.

I know its not all relevant to you but hope that it helps.

Tim

3. Moggy

Moggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Tim for the reply. It turns out to be a problem with the Scart lead. I have a number of these leads and none would enable the Smartlink funtion to work. Saw a reference on here to cheap fully wired Scarts at B&Q. Just purchased one for £4.00 and everything now works !

4. Acecross

Acecross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Excellent, glad you got it sorted!

Tim

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I downloaded the Sony manual and it says that with Smartlink the box will use the best signal your recorder will take. But from the spec this seems to mean Composite or Y/C (s-video) and not RGB.

I want to do the same with an E85 and a Freeview box and the Sony seems the only one with a better quality output for the recorder - but not RGB. So as your E55 has s-video input on AV2 (like the E50) then would setting its AV2 to s-video work, as s-video is better quality than composite?

6. chrisgibson

chrisgibson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to add to the confusion...

I'm also intending to get a Sony D800 [DVB] and Panasonic E55 [DVDR], and link both to a Panasonic PW7 [TV] over component output. That is, I'll have:

D800->E55->PW7

Obviously this will enable me to watch and record digital TV [although not different channels at the same time]. The thing is, though -- if I want to use Smartlink to record, do I have to drop down to s-video to watch AND record TV? Or would I be able to watch TV using RGB, but record over s-video? Is the kit intelligent enough to adjust itself? Or would I need two SCART cables?

Am I getting obsessed with "quality", when in fact, the difference between RGB and s-video for watching TV will be negligible? Or have I totally misunderstood the way that s-video/RGB/Smartlink works?

7. spacedout52

spacedout52

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you aware that the E55 is currently being phased out, and being replaced by the DMR-ES10?

8. chrisgibson

chrisgibson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had heard of it, but I'd assumed it was going to cost twice as much. Now that I've checked this forum, it only seems to be about 40 quid more expensive so I'll go for the ES-10. Thanks for the tip!

I've still got no idea how exactly the DVB box will connect to it -- and how well RGB/s-video/EPG will coexist -- but I'm sure I'll sort something out ;)

9. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    1. It is unlikely that you will be able to record any s-video from the VCR-out of the Sony D800 beause it will only switch to s-video if your recorder is SmartLink compatible in Sony's terms. Even older Sony won't trigger the s-video according to a post elasewhere in this forum. Smartlink requires two-way communication between the Sony D800 and the recorder as specified by Sony, and it seems thaey have recently changed SmartLink 'for the latest equipment'. Personally, I wouldn't chance it unless you can get your supplier to take back the Sony D800 if you don't like it. I've nothing against Sony - I have two of their TVs.

2. If you plan to record from the TV-out scart then you will get whatever you set its output to - Composite, s-video or RGB. The VCR-out is not configurable. It relies on the Smartlink communication - see (1).

3. The timer on the Sony D800 won't 'activate' the TV-out when it turns on, so to use the timer for recording you'll have to leave the Sony D800 turned on all the time and set the recorders timer to synchronise with the Sony D800.

4. If your recorder has 'External Link' to start recording when an external box (e.g. the Sony D800) then you can't use it with the TV-out because you have to leave the Sony D800 turned on, so the recorder is triggerd with an external signal all the time.

5. At this stage in the game I'd wait for a recorder with Freeview. If you want Freeview on the TV also, get a box just for the TV.

Frankly, the whole thing is a nightmare during this analogue/digital changeover period if you want to anything slightly out of the ordinary like watching and recording a decent Freeview signal.

I reckon the best boxes for Freeview (for features - no comment on quality - I haven't seen them) with user-set recorder-out signals are the Pioneer - now discontinued but still around, and the Philips 500.

10. spacedout52

spacedout52

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got mine from www.premieravcentre.co.uk-----£179+£10p&p---and it really is a fantastic machine for the price!!