1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR-E55 & Sky question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by turbohat, Nov 7, 2004.

1. turbohat

turbohat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    One more question if I can impose again.

Currently I have a Sony 735 player in terminal decline (dodgy laser). One of the big plus point of this player is the SCART passthrough. Really the main reason I am considering a DMR-55 is that it's cheaper than only Sony player I can find with 2x scarts (930v @ £230), plus I get the bonus of recording and I can backup my old F1 tapes (I was considering doing this on a PC but a Canopus would set me back £200)

An added bonus is that I have a Panny LA95 portable, which I think can play RAM discs.

The way I have things set up at the moment is, PS2, GameCube, Xbox into a 3 way manual scart box, the output from this goes into my Sky box (an old Panasonic one), the output from that goes into my DVD and the output from my DVD goes into my TVs only RGB scart. I don't bother with a VCR due to lack of space.

The advantage with this set up is that everything is in full RGB glory and autoswitches when necessary (and also sets the correct aspect ratio) the only thing I need to 'switch' is which console I am using on the 3-way manual switch box.

Question is ......

a) if I get a DMR-55 can I set everything up the same way? (Does is pass through the sky feed in RGB and widescreen switching when switched off)

b) how do I set up the RF leads (from sky loopthrough into recorder or other way round?)

c) can I watch Sky while recording a terrestrial channel and vice versa

Cheers for any advice....

2. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    a) yes and you get widescreen switching even when the E55 is switched on.

b) Its best to have a terrestrial aerial going into the E55 for the clock, this can be via the sky box but it doesn't really matter unless you want to record Sky RF which you don't.

c) No you can watch terrestrial (from your TV) while recording sky but not the other way round.

3. el bandido

el bandido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have exactly the same problem here -

how can I watch sky, while recording terrestrial?

It seems as though this digital revolution has taken me backwards in time

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    A number of ways: you can could rig a Scart splitter prior to the E55:

Sky TV Out >>> 1into2 >>> E55 AV2 and then AV1 >>> TV EXT1
    Sky TV Out >>> 1into2 >>> TV EXT2

...or connect Sky VCR Out to TV EXT2: this would give you a composite picture when your DVD recorder is tied up recording.

My favoured method though would be to get a seperate Freeview decoder. The RF picture is pretty poor and it's a waste to use a DVD recorder. So why not use your Sky as a tuner for the E55 and the Freeview as muti-channel TV when your Sky unit is tied up?

Sky TV Out >>> E55 AV2 and then AV1 >>> TV EXT1
    DVB TV Out >>> TV EXT2

Obviously there are numerous setup options available. Have a think about what you want to achieve - and the quality you want - and then we'll recommend something suitable. And how many RGB inputs does your TV have?

5. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    That's exactly what I've done except I do have a splitter to select DVDR/freeview as my TV only has RGB on one scart. It works great with good quality and the freeview box was less than £30 on ebay, it doesn't require a top class model (menu etc) for this application..

6. turbohat

turbohat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers for the advice.

I think I'll try and set up with a SCART splitter and put the Sky input into the player and also into SCART2 of the TV (not RGB) - I hadn't thought of this option.

For the few occassions that I will be recording terrestrial I can cope with a non RGB sky pic.

The option of a freeview box sounds interesting (don't think I can swing the added expense to the other half!)

Cheers