Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic DMR-E55 RF output problem!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jimsan, Jun 28, 2005.

1. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Owned, and appreciated, a Panny E55 for 7 months now. Hooked up to my LCD via scart, but it is also the final link in a home distribution network using its RF output.

Wanted to watch a recorded programme in bed last night and I couldn't get a picture. It seems that the output from the Panny over its RF output has failed. Anybody heard of this problem and does anybody know an easy fix?

Still under warranty, but would prefer not to have to return it for repair.

Any ideas????

2. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    You've probably already tried this, but I'll ask anyway:-

Have you checked, or tried changing, the rf output channel? (- just in case you, or someone else, have inadvertently changed it.) Assuming it's the same as the E85, press the Functions button until the rf channel is displayed on the front panel (it takes about 6 seconds). Change the channel by pressing the up/down arrows. The change takes effect immediately, so you can cycle through all the channels quickly while monitoring a tv in your distribution network to see if the picture appears. When you reach the highest or lowest channel it loops back through channel "--" (no rf output).

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

Other thoughts:-
    Try unplugging from the mains for a minute or two, then plug back in and check the rf output channel again.
    Did you have a local thunderstorm after the last time it worked but before you noticed the problem?

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks Maldonian, I'll try all this tonight and report back...

Jimmy

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yup, that did it!!!! The RF channel had magically set itself to --. Who knows why.....

Anyway, selected a channel for this output and retuned the other TV's to it. SORTED!

Thanks again Maldonian. Let me know if you have any probs in the LCD TV department and I'll return the favour!

Jimmy

5. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    It's good to hear you've got it working again. Thank you for reporting the outcome.

As many have said before, the manual could be clearer. There's a lot of information in there, but finding what you want, when you want it, can be frustrating, so a more comprehensive index would be a good start. But I'm pleased that Panasonic still provide an rf output, many manufacturers seem to be dropping it.

Ian

6. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I did eventually find the info you helped me with in the instructions.....under interference!

I've never really got stuck into the many features of this super wee contaption as we just use it like a VHS recorder. I have now got the manual sitting on my coffee table, and I'm going to have a proper fiddle with it tonight! (The Panny!)

Thanks again...

Jimmy