1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR-E55 or HS2

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nashi, Sep 28, 2004.

1. nashi

nashi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I would like to ask for some advice. I have the chance to buy either the Panasonic DMR-E55 or DMR-HS2 for about the same price. I know the basic differences between them and obviously the key thing is the 40GB hard drive in the HS2. I have looked at the manuals and a lot of the menus and features seem similar. But the HS2 is an older model and I was not sure if its performance (recording quality, picture quality etc) would be noticably different (better or worse) from the newer E55?
    Any view would be welcome.
    Thanks,
    nashi

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    The different between HDD/DVDR combos like the HS2 from 'standalones' is they allow you to make editted recordings that play on other DVD players. With a standalone you can record onto DVD-RAM, which has loads of features but is largely incompatible, or DVD-R which is highly compatible but has minimal editting features. With a HDD/DVDR then the HDD is basically like a DVD-RAM disk - you can then dub to highly compatible DVD-R. So you need to decide if you need tis functionality. Note the HS2 also has LPCM recording - ideal if you want to archive music concerts.

However the E55 has better MPEG encoding, DVD-Audio, progressive scan and component outputs - it's effectively 2 generations ahead of the HS2 in this respect.

3. nashi

nashi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the reply. I had thought this would be a bit swings and roundabouts. I could use the flexibility of a HD but am also thinking of getting a FreeView STB with a built in HD (Pace, Humax, Fusion or Thomson). So long as it has a playlist feature I could set up everything I want on a DVD-R and then copy it over-night in real-time. It's not as neat as dubbing from a built in HD to DVD but I am getting fed-up waiting for a single unit with FreeView, HD and DVD recording. If the first such unit is to be the Toshiba next March (which I am sure will be very expensive at first) then perhaps a 2-box solution would tide me over and would only cost around £300.
    Any further thoughts on this option?
    nashi

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Every DVD recorder Toshiba has released so far has been very competitive pricewise. That said the RDXS34 is, on paper, very highly specified.

5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And a Freeview HDD machine will have no editing facilities.HS2 or E55 for the same price.I think the choice is obvious.Does the E55 play full 6 channel DVDA?Even if it does,its no contest

6. nashi

nashi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for your helpful answers.
    I was amazed that the Freeview HD PVRs did not have even basic editing facilities.
    However I am leaning in this direction and may wait a week of so longer to find out what the final spec of the new Panasonic Freeview PVR will be. I am hoping that it might have some editing facilities and other features to make transferring to a DVD recorder a little easier.