1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR-E55 firmware upgrade

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Lenfo, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Lenfo

Lenfo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: I have a Panasonic DMR-E55 DVD-ram/-r recorder which is making coasters out of a batch of Phillips DVD-R disks. It records for a couple of seconds then reports 'error' on the screen and shuts down and restarts. And yes, I've now read about the problems with 8 speed discs and wish I hadn't get 'em!

I have found a firmware upgrade on Panasonic's site (http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wc...oads?storeId=15001&langId=-1&page=DVDFirmware) which I am hoping may help.

Does anyone have any experience upgrading the firmware of these things via writable CD? Clearly I don't want to ruin it and end up with £300-worth of door-stop.

Also is there any way to find out what version of firmware the thing is running currently? I've been through all the menus I can find and have drawn a blank. Are there any 'hidden' menus which reveal such goodies?

thanks in advance

Beermat-factory Phil.

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Philips have always supported the DVD+R/RW format so I am pretty surprised that you purchased them. My Panasonic E85 and JVC DRM10 work fine with Datawrite Yellow 8x and 4x (obtained from SVP). My ancient Panasonic DMR-E60 also works fine with these discs. SVP now also have some inkjet printable Datawrite 2x DVD-R discs in spindles of 100 @ £9-99 plus 4-99 extra for next day courier. These should work fine on your Panasonic. I intend obtaining some myself shortly.

Beware firmware upgrades. Some only apply to machines retailed in countries other than the U.K. and may not work with a UK purchased machine.

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/dvd-rprint.html

3. Lenfo

Lenfo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. Now it's a sensible time of day I have called Panasonic's helpline and they say they only recommend JVC, TDK and (unsurprisingly) Panasonic discs as they have been thoroughly tested, and users have reported that other discs produce up to 50% coasterage.

Also the firmware downloaded from panasonic.com is likely to be a different region and will probably not work, so I don't think I'll risk it!

4. Kabelnet

Kabelnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Lenfo

Lenfo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ooh Kabelnet, that post was a gem! Using the ServiceMode menu I have found that one of my E55's has a higher Driver firmware version than the other. The versions are:
    Main 0850Ek
    Timer 0340DF
    Drive J111 on one and J117 on the other
    ROM M003

So I might try my dodgy DVD-R's on the J117 recorder and see if I can get a better kosher-to-coaster ratio. :)

Despite the warning from Illustrator on the post about the ServiceMode menu (and possibly under the influence of a bottle of IPA), I started feeding different numbers to it to see what I could find. :devil:

Stuff I found pressing these remote buttons:

01 1 1 - WHIT I (screen turns white)
    01 1 2 - MAGE I (screen turns magenta)
    01 1 3 - EE2 I XP 48 (no idea)
    01 2 1 - TIMER MUTE (mutes sound)
    01 4 1 - LASER 1200
    01 4 2 - NO DATA
    01 5 1 - (all pixels on front panel display switch on)
    01 5 2 - PB8 HIGH (no idea)
    01 5 3 - PB8 MID (ditto)
    01 6 1 - PD 20040325 (date of manufacture?)
    01 6 2 - FE E2002D91
    01 7 3 - AUDIO48
    02 - display firmware versions

I seem to have got away without wrecking anything, but as Illustrator says, "Do not enter any other numbers as it's possible to mess things up."

Where does he get all this insider info from I wonder?!

6. Darkness2k

Darkness2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just checked the E55 we have here...
    Main: 0890Ek
    Timer: 0420DI
    Drive: J117
    Rom: M000

Not so obvious versions as "V1.2" is it ;)

Anyone know what the latest Europe/UK firmware is for the E55?