• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic DMR-E55, ext link and sound problem

moghm

Standard Member
Hello,

After having my Panasonic DMR-E55 for about a year I decided to test the EXT link functionality, duh!!!

Anyway, to my joy everything works i.e. autoview initiates the thompson sky box, channel comes on, DVD recorder switches on and starts recording. The problem is that there is then no sound either on EXT1 on TV where the sky box is brodcastings its picture and also no sound on the DVD recorder when I try to play back what has been recorded. I have to switch off the ext link on the DVD and then change the sky channel up or down for the sound to come back.

I have read the other posts on this forum and couldnt find a related problem. I am thinking there is something wrong with my settings on the DVD recorder.

Anyone have some advice ?

Many thanks

B

Benigno

Hi Moghm,
I, too have a DMR EH55 and found problems with the external link. I connected my cable TV digibox to DVD recorder AV2 with a scart link. But I can`t find a way how to timer record digibox channels, only direct recordings. I`m sure our friends can solve our problems. Thank you

Gavtech

Administrator
Which type of ext link mode are you using - 1 or 2?

moghm

Standard Member
Hi Gavtech,

I am using EXT1. Apart from the sound everything works fine, which is puzzling.

Thanks for your help

Gavtech

Administrator
I dont know the Thompson sky box, but you refer to : "autoview initiates the thompson sky box, channel comes on, DVD recorder switches on and starts recording."

Do I conclude correctly that 'autoview' is a timer system for the skybox ... in which case shouldn't you be using EXT2 mode. [ Page 41 of manual]

Does the Thompson box specify that is is EXT link compatible?

Do you have a direct connection to your TV from the SKYbox... because I imagine what is happening when you change channel to get the sound back it is sending a pulse through the scart on Pin 8 and switching your TV to that direct input.
What I am thinking is , if that is the case can you temporarily disable it by removing the plug... and then try to establish whether you get sound at all when feeding through the DVD unit and are NOT recording.
In other words it may be that you dont have a sound route AT ALL - for some reason ...

Needs to be checked before going further - it may not be an ext link issue at all.

B

Benigno

Hi Gavtech,
As to my connection, Scart from digibox VCR/AUX to DVD AV2, 2nd Digibox scart(TV) to TV, and another scart from TV to DVD. Also An aerial connection from digibox to DVD I timer programme the digibox first, then I press EXT LINK on DVD and it starts direct recording. But I programmed for the following day. I`ll be thankful if you solve my problem.

Gavtech

Administrator
OK - Thanks for that Info.

I'd like you to do a test to establish whether you have a sound connection from the digibox to the DVD under normal circumstances first , without the complication of EXT Link.

Please do the following... exactly.

1] Remove the connection from the digibox to the TV ... by removing one of the scart ends - It doesnt matter which ... either at the TV end or at Digibox TV scart.
The reason for doing this is to eliminate it giving a false route by which you can receive sound.

2] Next, on the TV select whatever input you switch to to use the DVDR... Switch on the DVDR and play something or change channels on the DVD to confirm that is the source you are 'listening to'. I assume at this stage you will have audio.

3] Next - on the DVDR select AV2 as the input source ... in other words accepting an input from your digibox. You should have picture and sound from the digibox. Confirm by changing channels on the digibox.

If you dont have sound at this stage , we need to investigate why.
Check that the scart between the digibox and the dvd is full pushed home . If one end is pushed in and the other is not it is possible to have picture but no sound.

Please do these tests and then report back results thanks.

Dont forget to reconnect the other scart when you have finished the test.

B

Benigno

Hi everybody,
I`ve had my DMR EH55 for 2 months. The setup recognizes the TV, not the cable TV decoder`s channel list. When I try timer programming with EXT LINK button, after having programmed the digibox timer, it starts recording immediately. Maybe it`s a fault in the scart connections. Too many, I think, complicating the signals. But I`m a farmer, not an electronics nerd. Would somebody help me? I don`t think the DVD is faulty. Mucias gracias.:rolleyes:

Gavtech

Administrator
Huh? Oh F... It appears i have become confused about whom I am addressing.

Benigno... The above test procedure I gave above was directed at you in response to the connection regime you described.

Moghm, are you still here?... are you following this thread still?

Gavin

moghm

Standard Member
hello Gavtech,

yep, sure am following the thread. Ok, the latest update is that my issue, with all of your help, is now resolved. All I did was to set the ext link 1 to ext link 2 on the DVD recorder settings. Hence, everything is ok now. I do have a few questions/comments though

(1) With changing the DVD to ext link 2, once everything initiates and starts recording a box appears saying 'do u want to continue recording this channel ?' I dont think u can get rid of this box ?

(2) Will the recording stop on an auto view program from sky when it has ended, or will recording keep continuing untile some manual intervention ?

(3) If I press auto view on 2 consecutive (one after the other) programs will this cause an issue with recording ?

Please let me know if you need any further information.

once again, many thanks

Gavtech

Administrator
moghm said:
hello Gavtech,

yep, sure am following the thread. Ok, the latest update is that my issue, with all of your help, is now resolved. All I did was to set the ext link 1 to ext link 2 on the DVD recorder settings. Hence, everything is ok now.
I'm very pleased to hear it.

moghm said:
I do have a few questions/comments though

(1) With changing the DVD to ext link 2, once everything initiates and starts recording a box appears saying 'do u want to continue recording this channel ?' I dont think u can get rid of this box ?

Having never used Ext Link I've not encountered this, but I would expect that pressing the OK button [in the centre of the remote navigator] would clear the dialog box.
I would think the purpose of this is simply to give you the option of having control of the machine again instead of relinquishing control to your digibox.

moghm said:
(2) Will the recording stop on an auto view program from sky when it has ended, or will recording keep continuing untile some manual intervention ?
The way mode 2 works is by detecting the presence of a video signal on the video pin of the scart coming from your digibox. [ Whenever a video signal is present on this pin the DVDR unit will record. ]
So.. the timer in the digibox starts the box and the programme , it puts out a signal on the video pin. that is detected by the DVDR which starts recording that video .
When the timer programme finishes, it should turn off your digibox , thus no signal on video pin , thus DVDR should cease recording.
No manual intervention required.

moghm said:
(3) If I press auto view on 2 consecutive (one after the other) programs will this cause an issue with recording ?
I dont think so . [ but there is no substitute for experimentation at a time when it doesnt matter ]
The digibox should perform whatever needs to be done , such as changing channels etc. which it will put out on its video pin on the scart... and as long as a signal is present , the DVDR will go on recording.

Please confirm that everything goes as expected.

Good Luck.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom