1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR-E55: DVD-RAM disk cartridges

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stadleroux, Sep 2, 2004.

1. stadleroux

stadleroux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK, I guess this is dumb question series #1: Is it better to use disks in cartridges or not? I guess they're more durable, and as I understand it, they can be write-protected, but are there any other reasons for using them?

In the manual they only show disks in cartridges when clearly referring to a DVD-RAM disk, but local shops seem to have only disks without cartridges in stock, and they're not that widely available around here anyway... The sales assistant I spoke to today didn't seem very aware of disks in cartridges. :rolleyes: Finally, is there a big price difference between the two?

2. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello mate.

I've got both sets. The advantage of the caddied ones is that they are more durable. The single ones can be opened up anyway so you can use them in Panasonic dvd players. Uncaddied ones are a lot cheaper, only 99p if you buy the 'Smart Buy' label. Just buy a few of them, you can use them in PCs with dvd-rom drives as well.

Hope this helps :)

Regards

The Dude

3. Goober11

Goober11
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is it possible to remove the disk from the cartridge so that you can transfer info to the pc - if so how as it is not immediately apparent.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    If your planning to use your DVD-RAMs in another device (i.e. PC or a DVD player) then use uncaddied disks, otherwse use caddied disks as these offer the best guarantee of data safety. You'll find it hard to get caddied versions in the shops: Panasonic (the main supplier of DVD-RAM) actively pushes caddyless disks. If you want want caddied media buy online.

Hold the disk vertically upright with the pull back flap that reveals the disk at the top. If the disk is removeable there should be a small round plastic lug that can be broken out near the bottom of the disk. Once removed the base of the caddy can then be pulled open.

5. stadleroux

stadleroux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, Dude1971, that helped, and also made me envy you; around here the disks without caddies cost the equivalent of £8.43 at the forex rate right now. Sickening, isn't it? :eek: Haven't seen caddied disks yet, so I've no idea what their price would be, but I'll stop looking for them anyway, if the price difference is that significant. I also saw 10-packs of CD-Rs (BenQ) today for more or less the same price we used to pay for a 10-pack of floppies not long ago, so maybe RAM disks will also become cheaper as they become more common...

Goober, that's a question I'd like to have answered myself, since my manual says you should remove disks from their caddies if you're using 8 cm ones. They don't say how, but maybe they provide instructions for doing that on the disk cover? :confused:

6. stadleroux

stadleroux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for answering that for Goober and me, Rasczak. I only saw your post when I'd finished typing my previous one.

By breaking out the lug I presume you're making the caddy unusable, right? I thought it might be possible to remove the disk from the caddy and put it back in when you're done using it in some other drive that doesn't accept caddies. Guess not... Thanks again, I'm a lot clearer about this now! :cool:

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    No, you can still use the caddy by reinserting the lug. The difference is it is just slotted in place as opposed to 'locked'.

8. stadleroux

stadleroux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks again. :cool: I found a yellow A4-sized page explaining how to use caddied disks in the plastic bag with the Slavic-looking language manual last night. The English manual wasn't in the bag with it, but loose in the box, so I didn't think to pay much attention to the contents of the bag. :rolleyes:

9. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know, the only DVD-RAM discs in caddies that you can open are the "Type 4" - the other types cannot have the discs removed/replaced. I only use Type 4 as I often transfer stuff to/from a PC.

10. stadleroux

stadleroux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, tabatha, I'll have a look around, but I don't think any of the caddied types are commonly available here yet. I hope I won't need it that urgently anyway, since I'm still learning what I can do with my system at the moment. :cool: