Panasonic DMR-E55 - Disk Compatibility ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dmjohnson123, Oct 3, 2004.

1. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am considering buying this recorder but wondered if somone can confirm:

I have a Pioneer DV454 player which, according to the instruction book, "is compatible with -R/RW disks recorded in DVD Video format".

Ideally I'd like to be able to record Freeview on the DMR-E55 and then watch the disks created on the Pioneer DV454 upstairs.

Is this likely to be a problem with the Panasonic ?

For this reason I am also considering the Pioneer 220 but I quite like the DVD RAM and component output on the Panny.

Any advice for a newbie to DVD Recording ?

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You should have no problem with -r playback, of course you cannot use -rw in the e55 for recording.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,988
    ...and to point out the obvious the Panasonic's DVD-RAMs will not play on your Pioneer. If you do want to play DVD recordings upstairs on a regular basis a machine with DVD-RW would probably be preferably: the Pioneer 220 is the cheapest option but if you want progressive scan/component then look at the Sony GX300 (not the GX3!).

4. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for your help guys.

The Panasonic DMR-E55's lack of -RW could be a disadvantage which is only just dawning on me.

Component ouput on the DMR-E55 was only for future proofing so at the mo I am connecting to my JVC tv by RGB Scart.

Will the Pioneer 220 (multi-regioned) play region 1 discs to my NTSC compatible TV - JVCR28 (in the same way my DV454 currently does) ?

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,988
    Provided you buy a recorder that is multi-region yes.

6. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think if most of the buying public were fully aware of the limitations of RAM versus -RW,Panasonic sales would drop quite a bit.Unfortunately for them,most don't know the difference between any of the formats.After all,its easy to point about the advantages of -RW over RAM,but what about the reverse!Tough job!

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,988
    Well it depends how much you hate RAM doesn't it? The following are some good reasons for example:
    - Upto 100,000 re-writes
    - No need to finalise the media
    - Option for caddy protection (ideal if you have children/pets)
    - Defect management

And this overlooks the benefits that RAM machines have had implemented that others haven't: e.g. ability to mix media formats on the disk.

8. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for your advice guys.

I think I'm going to go for a Pioneer 220, just need to pamper the wife for a week now before suggesting this purchase.

Thanks again !

9. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak,Joe Public ,or most of them will find 10000 rewrites of -RW enough,so 100000 is not really an advantage.And they won't know or understand anything about defect management.
    Why would you worry about finalising.It takes 1 minute on my Pioneer,and of course the only reason for finalising is compatibility with other players,so its obvious RAM wont need it.
    I suppose caddies could be pushed at the right people,but will they still go for it when they realise how many -r they can buy for the price of one caddied RAM?

10. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak-did you spot the latest HCC referring to DVD+ as the UK's dominant format.Blast those penny pinching peasants!

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,988
    That comment - which, given the fact that NO independent sales figures have been released for media in the UK, is speculation - and is referring to PC useage as well (which still outnumbers set-tops). It is also only referring to re-writeable media (DVD+RW). Thus it could be rephrased as DVD+RW is selling more than DVD-RW and DVD-RAM. This is hardly surprising as it is actually quite difficult to get DVD-RW in many shops - the format hasn't penetrated the market at all well - and DVD-RAM is exclusive to set-tops (a market a sixth of the size of the PC).

With regard write-once media though it's a different story - here DVD-R is dominating and selling considerably more than any other format. If you doubt that have a look at some of the online retailers as as SVP - how many more brands of DVD-R do they sell than DVD+R?

And again in set-tops the E55 is currently the UK's best selling DVD recorder at present. Worldwide DVD-RAM set-top recorders from Toshiba and Panasonic continue to dominate. Thus depending on how you view it you can just about say any format is dominant.

I don't have any problem with finalising. But somepeople do - look at countless posts on these boards: joe public doesn't understand finalising. And whilst DVD-RAM compatibility with set-tops is, and will always remain, poor the DVD-ROM compatibility is quite good these days. Certainly more DVD-ROMs sold support DVD-RAM than don't (LG, Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic, Iomega and, from next year, LiteOn).

And lots of people DO go for caddies for the very reasons I have described! The fact is if you want VR features without a HDD you need to use an incompatible file format - and that effects both DVD-RAM and DVD-RW.

I think your somewhat optimistic for 10,000 re-writes on DVD-RW given that the DBI chipset on Pioneer recorders is not implemented in their set-tops. And I agree nobody will want 100,000 re-writes. But when you consider something like 5% of all media can be expected to fail within 10% of it's lifespan that gives DVD-RAM owners less concern than DVD-RW ones.