Panasonic DMR-E55 audio (optical output) problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by al_london, Sep 5, 2004.

1. al_london

al_london

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a multiregion DMR-E55 from Richer Sounds (£209 - get them to price beat PRCdirect)...

Anyway... When I timeslip record and press stop to end the recording, and the display returns to showing the broadcast signal, there is no sound. The only ways I can get the sound back are:
    1) restart the Panny
    2) unplug and replug the optical cable
    3) change the input on my Creative Inspire 5700 to another input and then back to optical....

Has anyone every encountered this problem before? Was hoping someone might be able to replicate it... (the same thing happens if I playback a recording and then press timeslip to show picture-in-picture...)
    Have I got a dodgy one? Or a dodgy optical lead (it's a very cheap one...)

Any help appreciated...

2. al_london

al_london

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... looks as though it's not the cable, as have tried a high quality one with no success...

And have now isolated (and solved) the problem, by changing the Digital Audio settings on the E55. For some reason, despite the Creative amp being able to decode Dolby Digital and DTS, the problem of sound cutting out is eliminated by changing the Dolby Digital setting from Bitstream to PCM.
    So it's looking more like the amp is at fault rather than the E55... but am still not sure...
    Has anyone else out there got the same set-up??!

Cheers,
    Al

3. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although I do not have a setup like yours, our company is deeply involved in digital audio (optical, SPDIF and AES/EBU). We have found that certain pieces of equipment can sometimes get their knickers in a twist if the datastream is interrupted or distorted. It sounds as if when changing from live to timeslip, the audio stream from the E55 is stopped and the Creative cannot lock to the new audio stream unless it is in PCM.

4. al_london

al_london

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for the informative reply...
    Given that no-one else seems to have had any problems with the optical out of the E55, I guess there's no point in taking it back for a replacement.... Will just live with the 2yr old Creative until I upgrade to something a bit better!