Panasonic DMR-E55 and DVD-3 Remote with Child Lock issues

Chatgrande

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello to All,

The following issues are partly an 'old chestnut' - but with a twist. Please see below.

1.0 : Unable to perform factory reset (from standby power) using "OPEN/CLOSE", "|<< (rev/skip)" and "TIME SLIP" buttons simultaneously. The unit has "CHILD LOCK" activated i.e. "X-HOLD" is displayed when above operation is performed.

2.0 Unable to deactivate "X-HOLD" due to unit/remote displaying "REMOTE DVD-3" i.e. can not use normal solution of pressing the "ENTER" and "RETURN" keys on the remote simultaneously to deactivate "X-HOLD". Therefore, it seems, I have lost complete communication between the remote and unit due to "DVD-3" setting and the 'CHILD LOCK' activation.

Any ideas? I appear to be completely 'locked out' of the whole system. To summarize - Can't reset unit to factory status i.e. the remote/unit should be the "DVD-1" setting. Furthermore, can't unlock/deactivate the "CHILD LOCK" (X_HOLD is displayed) due to remote being set to "DVD-3".

Help! In absolute exasperation - have tried everything except a sledgehammer! Any help, or ideas, sincerely welcome - the DMR-E55 is/was a great machine. Somehow, my son or I have possibly broken it?! Or have we - that's the challenge!
Thanks for now, Chatgrande:uk::lease:

Press the "Enter" and "1" buttons on the remote together for 3 secs while pointed at the machine, when the display changes to "DVD1" press enter again.

Last edited:
Hi JayCee,
Thankyou for your input - however, sadly, your suggestion does not work - please note my seond issue in the thread:

[2.0 Unable to deactivate "X-HOLD" due to unit/remote displaying "REMOTE DVD-3" i.e. can not use normal solution of pressing the "ENTER" and "RETURN" keys on the remote simultaneously to deactivate "X-HOLD". Therefore, it seems, I have lost complete communication between the remote and unit due to "DVD-3" setting and the 'CHILD LOCK' activation.]

When trying to change the REMOTE DVD-n status, I can't. The remote keys and unit front panel buttons are
locked due to "CHILD LOCK" facility (hence the displayed "X-HOLD") when attempting to do so.

Any further ideas regarding any kind of hard reset of firmware using different remote keys or unit buttons. Have tried many logical ones, but failed so far.

Cheers for now.
Chatgrande

Can you clarify:

You say the remote is set to DVD3

Do you mean that DVD-3 is displayed briefly on the display when you press a command? ... or that you KNOW the remote is set to DVD 3?

...as they are very different things.

The remote and the machine command set settings are two separate operations.
You are not in a position to change the machine code set as that is only accessible in menus - which you cannot reach... but you are in a position to change the remote's code set.

In fact if you have done the procedure you mentioned earlier, the remote is now on DVD 1 command set...and not on DVD3 ... it has probably been on command set DVD 1 all along. [ Have you recently replaced the batteries in the remote? That resets it to the default DVD 1]

If the machine is showing DVD 3 on the display, that indicates that it NEEDS the DVD3 command set , but is not getting it... in which case change the remote to command set 3 by using the same procedure as before but pressing 3 instead of 1.

Once you have a matching code set in both machine and remote, then you can invoke the Enter/Return combination to remove the XHold status.

hi gavtech,

just wanted to say thanks -- i've just had a similar problem to the original poster with my ancient but still perfectly good dmr eh-60. it stopped recognizing the remote code, probably as the result of a power cut.

anyway, was logging on to ask this question and you'd already solved it. it's great to know you're still out there, i'd been scratching my head for the past hour!

wendy

Hi Gavtech,

Thankyou for responding with your great suggestion - not a logical one for me, which makes it a very important discovery for all!

So, the good news being, is that your premise of keying the remote to a 'DVD-3' setting ("ENTER" and "3" simultaneously) whilst the display shows "REMOTE DVD-3" seems to have worked (after several attempts mind you). Having achieved 'DVD-3' remote/unit status, I was able to 'deactivate' the CHILD LOCK' ("X-HOLD" as was displayed, using "ENTER" and "RETURN" remote keys).

Following this success, I now have full control of the unit's front panel buttons i.e. I can play DVDs to my heart's content. I haven't tried 'live recording' as I have no blank DVD media.

However, the position now is that I have physical control of the unit i.e. the buttons on the unit's front panel - but NO control of the remote's facilities e.g. TOP MENU, PLAY, PAUSE etc.,

All the keys on the 'remote' are not active, or instructing the unit's extended remote operational functions. It appears that I am 'locked out'. I can not change from the 'fixed' 'DVD-3' setting to a 'DVD-1' setting (using the remote key method: Press "ENTER" and "1" keys simultaneously, whilst the unit continually displays "REMOTE DVD-3").

As far as I can determine, the unit and the remote must be at the DVD-3 setting (one and the same - proven by my standard (see p.44 manual) for remote keying to deactivate the "X-HOLD" 'Child Lock' facility).

Am still rather perplexed?! Any further ideas are most welcome.
All the best and grateful thanks for now.
Chatgrande

It appears that I am 'locked out'. I can not change from the 'fixed' 'DVD-3' setting to a 'DVD-1' setting (using the remote key method: Press "ENTER" and "1" keys simultaneously, whilst the unit continually displays "REMOTE DVD-3").

Evidently, to get as far as you have, you have at some point successfully changed the remote to Code 3 ... but you have now changed it, (the remote) away from code 3 back to code 1 in your attempt to change the machines code setting.

BUT

This above is not the method that you need to use to change the machines code.
There is a separate code for the machine and a separate code for the remote. Both must match.

You have two choices:

Either, change the remote code to 3 and leave it there.- it will then match the machine and you will have control of the machine.

Or - although this is more complicated, it probably will save further problems in the long term...you can change the code of the machine back to Code 1.

Bear in mind that this is a three stage process which in outline is:

A - Change the remote code to DVD 3 so that the machine can 'see it'

B - Go into the menu system [ detail later] of the machine and change the machines code set to DVD 1... Be aware that the moment you do this, the machine will no longer 'see' the remote [ as the machine is now on 1 and the remote is on 3] .. so the machine will no longer respond to the remote until you:

C - Change the remote code back to 1.

Both items will then be on code DVD 1 and you should have normal control.​

Detail

Once you have changed the remote back to code 3,

To change the remote code set of the machine:

Go to Functions / Setup / Others / Remote Control... Select 'DVD1' and press enter.

That is the machines code changed to DVD1 and it will no longer see the remote... so now change the remote's code set back to DVD1
[ You don't need to point at the machine for this last part - it takes place entirely within the remote ]

Both items will now be on DVD 1 control set and you should have full control.

Hi Gavtech,

Before I read your latest reply (which is absolutely correct! - thankyou)! I had worked out how to get from DVD-3 to DVD-1 using the remote.

I had realised, as you mentioned, that from having set BOTH unit and remote to DVD-3 (thus giving control over CHILD LOCK issue) I had inadvertently changed the remote ONLY back to DVD-1 setting, but not the main unit.

This being so, it should noted to all Panasonic DMR users that when wanting to change your "REMOTE DVD-n" settings (n='1', '2' or '3') you can be fooled into thinking when you see, in my case e.g. "REMOTE DVD-3" being displayed and UNCHANGED (even after using the "ENTER" and "1" keys) it does not necessarily mean that your unit is at this setting:

1.0 TO TEST THIS - Do you have any control over the remote button named 'FUNCTION'? If you DO NOT and receive (as pertaining to this thread a display of "REMOTE DVD-3") then you need to use the operable
"ENTER and "3" button together (hold for at least 5-10 seconds).

1.1 NOTE: When you press any remote button thereafter "REMOTE DVD-3" will be displayed.

2.0 Now, if you have succeeded in the operation '1.0' above use the FUNCTION button on the remote and select (As Gavtech and page 15 of DMR-E55 manual mention) the following:

FUNCTION / Setup / Others / Remote Control... Select 'DVD1' and press enter.

In closing, the confusion for me was that when changing the REMOTE DVD setting I expected the display to change also e.g. "REMOTE DVD-3" to "REMOTE-1" - however, it will not do this. You MUST change setting, with the remote's FUNCTION button control through the menu options explaine above.

Thanks to all involved, especially Gavtech for the great advice.
I hope this closes this thread.
Best to all,
Chatgrande

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom