1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR-E500 - dub from DVD?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by team_edition, Feb 27, 2005.

1. team_edition

team_edition
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First time on this forum but I'm impressed so far (and yes I did search and I have RTFM too!).

Quick question.

I've just bought a Panasonic DMR-E500 and was surprised to realise you can't copy pre-recorded DVD onto the hard drive. I understand all the copy protection reasons but logically I thought you'd be able to copy/dub pre-recorded DVD onto the HDD for personal use. I wasn't then expecting to be able to copy back from the HDD to a DVD-R!

Anyone know if it's possible to get around this limitation? I want to use the 400Gb for storing a number of regularly watched DVD without having to dig out the disc each time.

Thanks, in advance.

Richard.

2. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    There are ways of copying DVDs but they are a breach of copyright as is explained in the warning at the beginning of every DVD.

3. team_edition

team_edition
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm aware of this but in actual fact you are allowed by law to make one copy of any recorded media for personal use so that you have a back-up copy should your original copy be damaged or such like.

I don't want to copy the original DVD onto the hard drive and then burn lots of copies of it. I simply want to browse loads of DVDs stored on the hard drive from the comfort of the armchair without getting the disc out!

I'm also aware that you can copy the original DVD using your PC and probably burn it in some way that takes off the copyright protection but I can't be arsed to do that.

I simply would like to know if there is a way of fudging the player to allow me to "rip" my original disc onto the hard drive. Would, for example, a region-free mod give this additional benefit I wonder?

Any other ideas guys?

Richard.

4. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think backup laws in relation to PC software is applicable to Interlectual rights of studio houses for DVD media, CPRM key is heavily protected and supported by manufactors and providers of DVD media and can only be hacked by illegal means on PC, some digitally transmitted programs are allowed a 'one of' backup(which is then also protected), multizoning does not change the encoded protection and can't be turned off