1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR E500 and MicroMV iLink

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DB100, May 28, 2005.

1. DB100

DB100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am considering buying the Panasonic DMR E500 as a companion to my Sky+ Box. One of the additional functions I would like is iLink to convert from my Sony IP7E MicroMV camcorder to DVD.

First question is - has anyone tried this and does it work?
    Second question is if not, I would probably not bother with iLink - in which case which DVD HDD/recorder would you recommend? I have considered the Sony 710 but most people on this board seem to have Panasonic.

Any help appreciated.

DB100

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I don't have a MicroMV camcorder, so I don't know for sure. But typically these connections are advertised as "DV" inputs. I.e. the recorder is expecting DV format coming over the Firewire/Ilink. As you probably know, MicroMV isn 't DV, it uses MPEG2 instead. Now as DVDs also use MPEG2, you'd think the recorder might be able to do this, but I don't think so. MicroMV is a Sony only format, and the Sony (710/910) manual says it doesn't support MicroMV. I don't know for sure about the Panasonic, but I'd be suprised if it supported MicroMV.

Mark

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    The new Panasonic EH50 is highly rated on the boards for a number of reasons. The Sony range are also good though. Have a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature for guidance on what model would suit you best.

4. DB100

DB100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks - a related question - is there any way of getting the content from the Panny to a PC via Firewire or other high speed connection? I have a Sony DVD reader/writer in the PC - so perhaps DVD-RAM might work - any thoughts on this?

thanks

DB100

5. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    If your PC has a DVD-RAM compatible reader, then yes you could use RAM for this. Or you could use -RW.
    Mark

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Afraid not - you will need to use DVD.

The Sony DVD writer in your PC will not read DVD-RAMs. If you have a DVD-ROM drive from a different make then that may be compatible - if not a new RAM compatible ROM drive will only set you back £15. See this this guide for advice. The E500 doesn't support DVD-RW recording.