1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR-E50 I've had enough!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GGTVBD, Mar 16, 2004.

1. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    That's it! I've had enough! I'm returning this pile of cr*p!

It's too fussy about media, locks up when it feels like it and takes an age to play a disc. I've gone back to the superb DVDR35. How can Panasonic get this one so right and the E50 so wrong?

I've decided to use The Sale Of Goods Act - not fit for it's purpose etc... I'll post a follow up to let you know how it goes.

2. ivanwilson

ivanwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Arthur - I suspect you're making this up. Only Philips recorders have problems. I think you're really a Philips zealot !! ;)

3. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    I'm serious!

My gripes are;

1. Play a disc - takes upto 30 seconds to begin
    2. Record - Only works with Panasonic and other expensive brand DVD-R's. Tried LOADS of others but no joy. (When was the last time you put a tape in your VHS VCR and it wouldn't work?)
    3. RF looptrough interference. Despite being set up & tuned in properly, persistent RF problems - herringbone pattern etc. on various UHF channels. Using TOP quality cables all round.
    4. RGB output - not impressed at all.
    5. Won't play SVCD's. (DVDR35 does)
    6. Discs made with PC from an image file will not play - 'disc not recognised' displayed. (DVDR35 does!)

That was the final straw! I have other gripes but that's enough for me. I'll stick with Sky+ and my HS820.

As for the Philips machines - not impressed either.

My advice to anyone thinking of buying one - DON'T!

4. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I've had no problems with my E50 and would advise anyone to buy it, especially compared to philips !

Ok the disk loading time is stupid, but I tend not to keep swapping disks so it generally has not annoyed me.

I've had no problem with any DVD-R's, ok I do mainly buy disks using Ritek G04 dye.
    DVD-RAM, no problem, never paid above £3 a disk.
    SVHS ouput looks ok on my plasma, I thought RGB looked ok.

What's RF loopthrough ? Since I had Sky+, even on my TV I only used Sky+ through scart, never considered using an RF connection for anything.
    I agree it has faults, but for £250 I think it's the second best gadget I've got.

Steve.

5. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Change the rf channel, hold the function button down for 5 seconds to get the change rf menu up.

6. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    Agreed, it is fussy about the media.
    But some cheap discs do work fine. Datawrite Classic Grey work everytime for me. I've tried Ritek, bulkpaq and other datawrite discs and had problems, but the greys work fantastically well.

I echo the other comments here in that it is actually a damn fine machine.
    The RF loop through is not bad at all, and changing the channel on which it operates will probably solve your problem.

If you want a machine to burn to practically any disc you throw in it, then get a Pioneer. But otherwise the Panasonic is better once you know what to use in it.

7. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    I've had the machine for 8 months. In that time there isn't a day that it hasn't pi**ed me off!

I know most people are satisfied with their machines but I definitely am not! I was interested to see if this thread brought any dissatisfied owners 'out of the closet'!

RGB - personal taste I know. I have found it to be very 'soft' on my TV. Sky+ is great on RGB, though.

Thanks for the tips on the RF issue, by the way. It doesn't matter which RF output channel you use, it still gives problems on other channels wherever and whenever it feels like it! Believe me, I've tried every possible output channel. Every RF cable is proper CT100 (including the aerial input), cut to length, soldered coax plugs etc. No matter what, the fault don't go away! Disconnect the E50 - perfect.

Steve36 - you must have an RF connection to the E50 if you want to record from terrestrial TV! The loopthrough must be used to feed the output into the RF distribution system for the rest of the house.

If anyone would like to recommend a good PC capture card to me it would be very much appreciated!

Thanks for the comments, guys. Keep 'em coming. I can't be the only one. Can I?!

8. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Sorry, I forgot about terrestrial recording.
    Since Sky+ gave me dual record I have only used it for archiving.

Regarding distribution through the house I use a philips VL1200 sender connected to the output of the E50.
    It works well apart from Sky+ remote commands, but they can be sent separately or supposedly the VL1400 is good at transmitting the remote commands.

Maybe I'm offsetting it's usefulness against the irritation of several minute boot up for each disk and limited playback capability facility.

As someone mentioned changing the RF channel may improve the interference problem, also I found with my DVD player changing the mains lead removed this problem.

Steve.

9. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that the E50 is "a pain".

In the three or so months I have had it I have spent more time trying to get it to work than I have watching it.

I was really surprised at how slow it was.

Lots of connections problems - what Panasonic recommend simply doesn't work. The workaround I picked up on the net allows you to record and play but you lose some of the Panasonic function like automatic channel download.

Herring bone.....yessss.

I have been getting herring bone like interference on Sky+ - both live Sky and playback. Plus bits of what appears to be the terrestrial signal coming through - graphics and things. Just faint shadows. The herring bone effect is the most persistent - I haven't heard it described like that before but it fits the symptoms to a tee.

I have engaged Panasonic in correspondence. They told me that.....

"I would explain that the only reason we can see for the
    interference would be that you have the DVD-Recorder setting to AV2 output and also the monitor out of your TV is also set to AV2"

and that....

"Please check this setting and if this is the case change the Monitor out to a different setting to see if this rectifies this. If this is not the case or this does not correct the problem this may be a fault with the unit in which case I would refer you to your selling dealer."

If I read this right - then everyone who has a Panasonic DVD Recorder that won't work with the connections suggested in the manual has a faulty box. Hmmmm.

Fact is my TV is a Panasonic and doesn't have any settings that allow me to change the monitor setting in the first place. They have now become rather quiet on the subject.

This very afternoon I have tried moving it to the TV connected to a TV Link - partly to see whether I lose the old "Herring Bone".

If you want to irritate Panasonic try 08705 357357 or customer.care@panasonic.co.uk.

Roger

10. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Took it back today. Refunded in full, no problem. Glad to be rid of the damn thing!

I knew I wasn't the only one with problems with the E50. Come on people - get it off your chest - you'll feel better in the morning.

Keep 'em coming!

11. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the problem with aerial feedback, but I've got a standalone player so if it's a movie I want to watch I use that. And as for disks, Prodisk are very cheap and they work fine.

12. Cool As Blu

Cool As Blu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    took mine back after 5 days.

13. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,840
    I had my E50 for six months and it worked flawlessly. My Dad also had one at the same time and his was the same.

I now have a HS2 and it is even better (despite the E50 being a later model).

14. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you run yours with a Sky+ box?

If you do - did you find that the Scart connections in the manual wouldn't work - they just generate huge levels of intereference.

If you did and you used one of the Scart connection solutions found on this forum did you find that there was mild on screen interference like letters showing through the screen from the Terrestrial signal or "herring bone" comblike lines across the pictyure when in Sky?

Or do you use it peurely for terrestrial?

Roger

15. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,840
    I boguht it so I can record freeview to RAM. The Freeview was attached to the AV2 scart socket and set to RGB. I now have the same setup with my HS2.

16. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.....please could I just ask one further questions....how do you connect your aerial RF cable?

Freeview daisy to TV or through the DVD Recorder....

Roger

17. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,840
    Aerial - Freeview box - DVD Recorder - VCR - TV.

18. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have a Panasonic TV and a lot of kit using AV1 and I got the above problem.
    My workround was to set the TV's terrestial channel to the kit's RF output to stop the bleed through, I don't use the TV's tuner info for recording etc.
    I bought an RF modulator for my dvd player, set the tv to channel 7 and left it there as it generates a noiseless blank backround for all the sources, the only other way may be if you can assign scart input/outputs and output a non functioning socket to the one you are having probs with.
    Sorry if the above is old news:)

19. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I don't know if this helps but I used to get herrin bone interference on early Panasonic VHS recorders on certain terrestrial channels. It turned out to be that I live in a "strong" signal area and all that was required was an attenuator connected between the aerial and reciever. Problem solved...

I don't have the E50 but I do have the E30 and E20 both of which are superb performers. The only gripe I have is that discs can get stuck and are sometimes a bit stubborn to persuade out agian. On the whole it is a pretty rare occurance

Yes they can be fussy with media but there is plenty to choose from that are as trouble free as you can expect. I would say to any would be Panasonic buyer. Don't be put off it's a great format from a sound manufacturer. My first VHS machine was Panasonic and so to was my last. My first DVD recorder was panasonic and expect my last one when I reach the age of 150 will also be........:D

20. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only want to use the E50 to record from the Sky+ as an archive - so bearing the above in mind I have reconnected all the Scarts as per the manual - and disconnected the RF Aerial completely from the DVD Recorder.

Bizarrely (shows how little I know) it makes not the slightest difference to what is going through the DVD Recorder. However it does alleviate the very strong levels of interference I was getting when using Menus. Still there some of the time.

I now have a problem with AV selection - and I can't record without having the TV on....but the herring bone has departed as the feed from Sky to my TV goes straight to the TV.

What a tangled web we weave....well, behind my TV set we do.

Wish I had some vague idea what I was doing.

Still - that enough fiddling for today.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Roger

21. panaman

panaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    My E50 has been faultless too and have recommended it to other who are also very pleased and all for £245 Amazing :smashin:

22. hollie.weimeran

hollie.weimeran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Arthur Dork

Have a look at the Leadtek Winfast 2000 expert cards for video capture. (Analogue). they are pretty good for the money and come with excellent software. You'll need a fast processor and plenty of hard disk space though.

23. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    hollie.weimeran - Thank you.

I'll check it out.

24. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Perhaps you could detail your connections? What have you tried and what did you get?

I have found that the manual tells you to connect it up in such a way that's not the best for quality.

25. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jem,

I did have the solution that quite a lot of people are using:

TV AV1 -> E50 AV1
    TV AV2 -> Sky+ VCR
    Sky+ TV -> E50 AV2

Aerial Daisy - Sky+ -> E50 -> TV

E50 settings - AV1 Output RGB - AV2 Input RGB and AV2 Connection Normal

This worked for some things but.....no Qlink from Panasonic TV, Direct TV Record and - I started getting on screen intereference when watching Sky+ with the E50 in standby. I could see graphics coming through from the terrestrial picture and I was getting herring bone effect distortion on the picture. This last was sufficent to stir me to start trying to get the thing to work properly again.

I have now gone and looked at the manual again. This time I haven't worried about the scart settings - I am wondering if they are a red herring. So I have set all the scarts to exactly what the manual says.

TV AV1 -> Sky+ TV
    TV AV2 -> E50 AV1
    Sky+ VCR - E50 AV2

Next - the aerial connections.

The manual doesn't actually says daisy chain through the Satellite box. It says bring the aerial in through the DVD recorder and straight to the TV. So that is what I have done. There is now no aerial going to the Sky+ box.

E50 settings. Strictly speaking this ought to allow me to set RGB on everything and either Normal or EXT Link 1 or 2. My TV has S-Video on AV2 so I ought to be able to set that.

If I do then I only get sound on AV2 - S-Video gives me a picture in all the wrong colours (I have connected S-Video by scart). If I fiddle with the AV button then I can pop up the RGB picture from Sky+ - but if I then use the E50 Handset to change channels away from AV2 I keep that Sky+ picture.

I also have the problem of a blush of interference welling up in the backgound when I use a menu. You have to be quick as otherwise the menu is overcome and and you can't see the settings you want to change or invoke.

So - the only setting that works is - AV1 Output RGB - AV2 Input Video - AV2 Connection Normal.

This outputs a picture actually on AV2. So if I change the channel on the DVD recorder to AV2 thats what I see. Direct Tv record works. Ordinary record works - including when I set the Tv to stand by and the Panasonic Qlink function works.

Tricky isn't it. Video - which I think is composite, although I could not guarantee it, works but RGB doesn't.

Today I have been reading that the heavy interference - the sweeping colours that well up and overcome the screen are probably feedback - possibly from the RF signal or from RGB going round twice? By setting AV2 Input to Video - this goes away. (However when I come out of the menu I lose the ability to display different channels and it defaults to whatever I have SKY+ set to - toggle with the AV button just bungs up Terrestrial).

So - how do I get RGB without on screen interference. And more importantly - how did Panasonic think I was going to get RGB or S-Video? This really is more a case of why.....if we knew why then we might be able to figure some of this stuff out for ourselves, but I don't think Panasonic Customer services know why so - what hope us...

When reading this - please do not assume that I have any idea what I am doing. I don't. Ho ho......

Roger

26. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I shall try to make some sense of this but I can't guarantee it. I'm using an HS2 with Sky+, although the E50 is almost identical to the HS2.

I would change this
    TV AV2 -> Sky+ VCR
    to
    TV AV2 - > Sky+ S- Video

and
    Aerial Daisy - Sky+ -> E50 -> TV
    to
    Aerial Daisy - E50 to TV

As for your other idea as per the manual.

I wouldn't go with this as this would only allow recording from Sky+ in composite video and would only allow you to output from the E50 in composite video. In my opinion you would be wasting your time with this set up as you would get very poor recordings and playback. The only "advantage" to this is direct TV record.
    The Panasonic manual is wrong with regards to its recommended connections. What it describes is not possible.

My set up with my HS2 is as follows;

Sky + TV to HS2 AV2
    HS2 AV1 to TV AV1
    Sky+ S- Video to AV2 ( which is set to receive S-Video in set up menu - otherwise it will take in composite video and picture will be black and white )
    HS2 set to RGB
    Sky+ set to RGB
    HS2 AV2 set to RGB
    HS2 AV2 input Normal
    Aerial -> HS2 -> TV

My TV is a JVC. The JVC can adjust its external settings to ensure no feedback from AV2 ( the Q-Link scart )

My son's set up with an E50 and a Philips TV is;
    Sky (not plus) to E50 AV2
    E50 AV1 to TV AV1
    Sky VCR to TV AV2
    Aerial -> E50 -> TV
    E50 set to RGB
    Sky set to RGB
    E50 AV2 set to RGB
    E50 AV2 input Normal

His Philips TV cannot adjust the external settings and he does get sound feedback from the TV's AV2 if he leaves the E50 AV2 but not recording - he simply turns it off.

We have no RF interference on either. To record from Sky we select AV2 on the HS2/E50 - this is in RGB. To record from a terrestial programme but watch Sky at the same time, select AV2.
    To watch Sky, select AV1 on the TV. To watch Sky whilst HS2/E50 is on, select AV1 on TV and AV2 on HS2/E50.

Yes this means that I cnnot use direct TV record but I would rather have RGB quality. With Sky+ I don't use my HS2 for direct recording anyway, usually only archiving. My son does record directly onto his E50 from Sky and mostly keeps his E50 on AV2 so if he does want to record anything right away, he just presses the record button.

I can't say if this will help as neither of us has a Pansonic TV but surely the Panasonic TV is not completely different to the JVC or Philips?

27. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jem,

Thanks for your advice on this.

You confirm pretty much what I thought I had found - that for simple use the only way to record from Sky+ is in Composite and that it can't record in RGB. If you want to do RGB then you start having to do the sort of things that you really shouldn't be expected to do - for instance, turning it off.

I really want it to perform with minimal fiddling from me - I know - its lazy - but that is what the product is supposed to do.

I only use it to offload stuff I want to see when my Sky+ gets full and very occasionally to keep. Where I need a copy longer term I can change it over to RGB - although for this I will have to record with the telly left on as putting it into standby will bin the picture!

Do you think it is just Sky+ owners who have this problem? Only 250,000 of us so not much clout. Or is it all Sky boxes?

Roger

28. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm sorry Roger but you've lost me now. I find recording in RGB using my set up is extremely simple with no fiddling at all. I simply turn on the HS2, select AV2. Then I use the "Copy" function in the Sky+ planner and press "Record" on the HS2. Which set up are you using when you say that you have to fiddle and do things you shouldn't be expected to do?

When you say that putting the TV into standby bins the picture, are you using the Sky remote or the TV remote? Using the Sky remote will put Sky into composite mode and you will lose the RGB input - therefore the HS2 will only record sound.

29. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i've been very very happy with my E50, its done everything i've asked of it.

fantastic machine.

Gary

30. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jem,

Sorry if I have confused you.

If I use the set up I have anc change the setting from Composite to RGB - as per Panasonic - then I get interference on the menus's, I can't display the RGB picture in AV2 and while I can put the TV into AV and record the picture on the screen - if I put the Tv to standy I lose picture and only have sound. Cycling through the AV options does not relieve this.

If I change the connections to those suggested on the net and I think in your solution - I get on screen interference when I am in Sky+ either playing a recording or watching live TV. The interference takes the form of Graphics from the terrestrial signal and lines doen the screen. However - I can record from RGB successfully with this set up although I lose various other functions.

I have binned this solution because of the on screen interference. As I read it you solve this by switching off the DVD recorder at the mains.

In answer to your question aabout the remote - I have been putting the TV into standby using the DVD recorder remote flipped over to TV. Its a Panasonic TV. I am not aware of any setting on this TV that allows me to tune out interference from AV2.

Sorry if I haven't made myself clear - I have tried to give as much detail as I can. But from other posters - I am obviously not alone.

Roger