PANASONIC DMR-E50 - Features I expected

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RecordablDVDfan, Dec 6, 2003.

1. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I've had mine just for a few days now. Things I thought would be included are zoom, eject from the remote. remaining time on the recorder and mute button!

Ther remote is ok but why hide some of the most important controls under the flap ??!

Do these features exist on the Philips R80 ? 8hrs also on this model, wonder what the quality is like ?!

The time slip feature is clever but you can't use it of course without a disk and you have to be recording..

4hr mode is not bad, better than LP on VHS, 6hr could be ok but it changes anything you record to a film like effect - what is the reason technically ?

Recs made on SP 2hr mode is IMO indistinguishable from the original. The 2hrs time limit is not enough though if you want to make archives from 3 -5 hr tapes. I hope in a few years there will be DVD recorders which will allow 6hrs plus of DVD quality on a DVD - possible or not ?

2. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Of course!! Blu-ray machines will have a disc capacity of at least 23 GB. Don't know exactly but i expect that would translate into about 10-12 hours in SP mode or 5-6 hours in XP mode.

Personally i don't like too many eggs on one DVD basket. A 3hour XP quality capacity would suite me down to the ground. One film per "Can" is how it should be in my book.

The FR set at 3 hours will give you pretty good results from your 3 hour.tapes.

3. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
  4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everybody can stop saying that current formats will be obsolete when Blu-ray comes along.Toshiba have already announced their alternative to Bluray,so the cut and dried arrival of a single superior format is being bodged again

5. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Your imagination running overtime again phelings. Reading this thread I don't think anyone has claimed that the current formats will be obsolete when blu-ray arrives. Have they!!!

They are saying quite simply that it will be great to have an alternative high capacity option. One set of formats will fade out as another set fades in. The end of any format will be slow as it will be with VHS.

The blu-ray format war so called may well turn out to be worse than what we have now. But at the end of the day at least the consumer will have a choice and that is better than nothing.

6. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most threads along the lines of the + versus- argument normally end up with one party losing the argument and pointing out that the current formats will be superseded by Bluray within a couple of years.Even Rasczak mentioned it a couple of times,and outside those threads it has also been talked about.
    I am not alone in thinking that Bluray was the next step in the recording format story,but now that Toshiba have already confirmed a competing format,it means that we could end up in the same compatibility war we are in now.

7. numskull

numskull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had mine for just two days now.

So, why do you need the "zoom" feature? We have it on the three other DVD players - I have and used it once for curiosity sake and never again!

A lack of Eject from the remote I agree is daft but hardly a big deal.

Remaining time? What compression rate would you like the recorder to display? Anyway, you can access this though the onscreen menu.

A "mute" button? Why??? Just use the Pause button!!

Putting the "important" controls under a flap? What buttons do you consider to be important?

Time slip - how would you suggest it would operate without a disc???

As for the Philips - I, like many others, bought a Philips 890 this time last year. Within three days it created it's first coster. Within four months and after just 50 recordings it had totally failed and we got a refund. Because we have 20 or so +RW's disks full of our precious home vids, I was considering a Philips unit again but on seeing that the same old problems still appear to exist with the latest Philips units, we decided on the Panasonic. Yes, the RAM disks are more expensive than +RW's; yes they can only be played back on certain other DVD players. But then again, only one out of our three DVD players played the +RW's and +R's we recorded on the Philips! But having first tried a finalised -R in these, they all played them back. Oh, and the-R's are cheaper than the +R's and are still more readily available. As for the 8hour mode, if you think the 6 hour mode is bad........ Yep, the FR rate is excellent - recorded a film from Sky using 2.5 hours on Sat night this and the quality is excellent - better than the Philips.

Above all of this, what we wanted was realiability - the Panasonic units are out selling the Philips 10 to 1 according to the dealer we bought it from and taking the DVDR75 as an example, of 5 they'd sold, 3 had been returned with faults - they had not had a single Panasonic returned. Oh yes - the Panasonic is quieter in operation, has excellent playback of all the pre-recorded discs we've tried (against the Philips that struggled to play them most of the time!) and appears to be better built than the current Philips offererings too.

8. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I suspect zoom would be for the heretical practice of removing black bars from 2.35:1 films. Not a big miss in my book.

Since you need to get up from your backside to remove a disc, isn't eject from the remote pretty pointless? I don't miss this one either, although I did notice that my S75 remote can open the E50 drawer too.

A time remaining counter, however, is something I would have appreciated, and I don't see how this wouldn't be feasible for completed recordings. I can live without it though.

My one big annoyance with the E50 is that the position of the on-screen displays can't be moved to accomodate watching non-anamorphic widescreen material in zoom mode or 4:3 material in "smart" mode (sony term).

The E50 is not perfect as a standalone player - it is primarily a recorder after all. I've just replaced my Tosh 210 with a Panny S75 as my primary dvd player, and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a high quality dvd player with all the bells and whistles. It does everything the E50 doesn't (including multichannel dvd-audio), but the major win is that you can play RAM discs while the E50 is busy recording on another. £105 from Richer Sounds + £10 for a 3year warranty seems a bit of a bargain.

9. mike5

mike5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would not say the S75 is the bees knees. Yes it plays ram discs and DVD-r faultless. But it can be tempremental with some of my commericial DVDs ive played in it.:mad:

10. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Which ones? I haven't had mine long enough to notice any problems.

11. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Yep I'm beong too picky are'nt I ?! This is my first DVD recorder and I know it will get a lot of use. Shame that the Philips units have had such problems though goes too so I made the right choice. Any recs I want to keep made on DVD RAM I found can easily be copied on to a DVD-R via ths pc's LG 4040B though I'm having a few problems on playback ( see other thread)