1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR-E50 Compatability problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sdm197, Jun 2, 2003.

1. sdm197

sdm197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Everyone,

I have a DMRE-50 and I am happy with it however can anyone throw any light on the following:

I bought 100 Unbranded Ritek DVD-R discs(silly I know, I should have bought a sampler pack but even then, the Ritek I was sent may have worked then I would still have bought the100) I got them from from dvd-and-media.com I have used 11 and already have 3 disc errors/coasters. I have tried the titling the disc first before recording onto it but that does not seem to make any difference. I have had no problems with Panasonic DVD RAM discs. Also the DVD's that have been recorded correctly play on my Panasonic RV32 player but will not play on my PS2, Samsung 709, or DVD Rom on my PC, is this the discs at fault or would any DVD media be the same regardless of brand?
    I only have these Riteks at present but recording is unreliable, but I haven't tried any others as I have so many of these. Does anyone know of a way of testing the disc first???:confused: :confused:

2. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there, at what stage does the media fail? is it during recording or finalisation?-The more information you can give the better.

Samsung 709 doesn't play dvd-r. Well, it does if you update to firmware 3.32A , use particular brands of dvd and author on a pc using specific software....oh and don't mind it stuttering. But it won't play recording from your panny.

As for the pc dvd-rom and ps2 these should both play most dvd-r. However, firstly dvd-r recorded using a panny set top recorder are less compatible than pc recordings. Second The dvd-rom on your pc should play dvd-r made by your panny, but again it depends on it's age and may well depend on what media you try. The ps2 plays most dvd-r and recordings made by the panny machines but I think it may not be playing your recording because I think consoles need to be chipped to play dvd-r (a pirating precausion).

Basically, if a recording plays fine on any player then the recording is o.k. If it won't then play on any other players the fault can be either that that player doesn't play dvd-r full stop, or it doesn't play that particular brand, or it doesn't play recordings from the set top dvd recorders. It's a case of trial and error I'm afraid!

As for riteks, they were about all I ever used on my e30 until I switched to cheap yellows, and I didn't have any problems with them. You may have got as bad batch though, you might want to send them back to where you bought them. Most companies give a full refund for any unused disks, and actively encourage you to return faulty ones.

3. sdm197

sdm197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the reply, they fail normally within the first 5 minutes, which is OK if you are by the machine, but not so good if its on timer:mad:

I have now emailed the company I got them from and await their reply.

4. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It might be a bit of a silly question but you are being careful to avoid getting any fingerprints or specs of dust whatsoever on the purple side of the dvd's? are you also not writting on them or labelling them? lastly when you set the title before recording it is setting o.k?

If your doing all the above then it's deff duff disks! Might be worth trying a diff brand as well, rather than just taking a straight replacement in case it isn't just a batch issue. Like I said I never had any problems with riteks but the e50 may be diff in the what media it likes. I have also heard a lot of people having problems with the riteks recently so who knows, they might have changed there dye or I might have just been lucky. Although they remain the disk of choice in the pc recorder market.

5. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I've recently taken to using Verbatim only now, however this is becoming a tad expensive.

6. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    sdm197. Nearly everyone says how good Ritek is!! I am one of the rare ones that would not touch them with a 10 ft barg pole.

I use both the E20 which hates them the most and the E30.

Try verbatim which work out at about £1-40 each when purchased as a tub of 25. I have so far found them to be the most trustworthy with no coasters todate... Good luck. Malcom.

7. mike5

mike5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take my advice and use Verbatim, the cheap discs are not worth the **** and hassle.:lesson:

8. sdm197

sdm197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone,

I find this hard to understand but, I have just tried all the 3 discs again, I recorded 1 minute on each (they normally fail within the first minute) and they all recorded perfectly. MMMmmmmm the plot thickens:confused: :confused: :confused:

Ferris thanks for the tips, I always handle CD's DVD's by the edges and never touch the recording side, I only use Neato mediaface to label discs after recording, and have had no problems with that. As for the titling they title OK, I have titled them then set the timer and gone out, then come back to find out that while I've been out its not recorded Topgear :mad:

Tommy, Malcolm, Mike

I will get some Verbatim to try, but this problem is puzzling me.

9. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So when they failed initially what happened? did you get an error message or did you just find that no recording had happened so assumed they had failed?

10. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    :laugh:
    I have had similar experiences and they are likely to fail at some stage, even half way through. Use them if you can but I would avoid buying any more of that brand if your machine does not like them.

I have an E20 that just won't accept Datasafe media and yet others that have the E20 have little problem with Datasafe. It's the luck of the draw it seems. You just have to find the media your particular model is compatible with.

Don't worry about trying to figure it out. In the last 12 months or so of trying different cheap media all sorts of weird things have happened. If the media is cheap and lacking adequate quality control the machine can react to it an a variety of ways. Verbatim, TDK or Maxell is the way to go.

11. sdm197

sdm197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The message I get when in atttendance is a blue dialog box comes up on the tv screen which states "Disc Error" I then look at the machine which shows that nothing has been recorded even though it had showed 40 seconds or so. If you power down the Panny then turn on again "Recover" appears on the display although I then try it again and it won't record, it happened last night, although today the very same disc worked perfectly......

12. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I find that about 1 in 5 dvd-r media on my hs2 stop after about 40 seconds, and the machine goes into recovery mode. However with only one exception they all work eventually after 2 or 3 tries. Happens with various makes and I suspect it is dust on the disc or other marks from handling.

Bit of a pain though if you are trying to timer record straight to oneas on the E50, as you would loose one recording in 5. Big advantage of recording to the hard drive first, as not only can the file be edited to remove ads etc, you get a second or sometimes a third chance when dubbing to -r.

13. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    Hi sdm197, a few pointers that may help you....

1) Try titling the disc before you start to record. Good a way as any to see if it works ok.

2) Warm a blank disc before using it. ie leave it faced down (not writing side obviously!) on an amp for about a minute. Will work better. Probably explains in your case why it works one day and not the other. Cold disc, warm laser, induces condensation, which results in disc error, or the machine shutting down immediately(the 1-5 minute shutdown phenomenon you guys are experiencing).......

3) Samsung's notorious for not liking DVD-R. PS2 usually ok but not always.

4) Riteks are good discs but are yours G3 ? eg Very dark purple dye on yours ?

5) E20/30/50/HS2. None are guaranteed to work with all types cheap DVD-R media. Minute manufacturing variations in calibration of drive mechanism renders it down to luck of the draw on how "compatible" your machine will be.

6) Use quality media for vital archivings and recordings. Verbs are now down to £1.39/disc.

:D

14. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Dont put sticky Labels on DVD discs as you will get problems, this is much talked about on Video and DVD forums

as for disc compatibility its a mine field as you are now finding out...funny I always thought Verbs were the best discs, but have had nothing but trouble with them, on 2 different writers. in fact the last batch had to be returned because very one of them turned into a coaster

datasafe are not much better for me, sticking at the ends & freezing

only discs I use these days are
    Traxdata
    TDK
    Lynx 4X

15. sdm197

sdm197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Party Animal,Ekko Star,Ken Fowler,Malcolm, Ferris,Mike and Tommy, thanks for all your replys I will stick to big names from now on, 8 out of 10 Pannys prefer them:D :D

Ekko they are the latest ones (Riteks)