Panasonic DMR E30 & Bulkpaq Disks

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by SherrifJWPepper, May 14, 2003.

1. SherrifJWPepper

SherrifJWPepper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive burnt about 70 of these discs now all of a sudden half way through the current pack its refusing all the discs. Works fine with the ram discs that were supplied with it. Took it back to the dealer who rang pana, their reply was to only use maxell, tdk or panasonic discs :rolleyes:

What discs are everyone else using?

2. kdp99

kdp99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Friend of mine had this problem, it was the discs, faulty part way through a batch, have a close look at a disc that was OK and a faulty one and you should see a difference, he returned his for a refund.

3. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Bulk Paq Noooooooooooooooooo

Dont use them. They are cheap but well know for problems with compatability with players and recorders.

Stick to Data Safe or anything that uses Ritek dye.
    You can get good quality discs for 80p - £1 so why risk it.

I got 100 Data Safe Yellows from Big pockets and 25 white label ritek dye discs that worked out at about 80p a disc including postage and packing.

The amount I use it they will keep my going for a while. I have not had one coaster using these discs.

4. SherrifJWPepper

SherrifJWPepper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmm The first discs I used were white labels from Lynx. My unit refused to finalise quite a few of them. Untill now I have had no problems at all with the bulkpaq's

5. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    But I bet they were not White label using Ritek dye.

I would put money on it in fact. I have never had one coaster using these discs. Incidentally they actually cost more than the Data Safe discs I got.

I also use the +R version in my P.C DVD writer. I have used over 50 in it. No coasters.

Do a few searches and have a look around the media forums on the internet. They will tell you to avoid the discs you have mentioned like the plague.

6. mike5

mike5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only use Verbatim DVD-r, never had any problems with them.

7. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I use the E20 and E30 machines and neither will accept Datasafe. Your machine may though!!l so sample before you bulk purchase.. I am less than impressed with Ritek dye base discs. The E20 hates them and some weird problems sometimes occur on the E30 only with Ritek types. I would only use them now as a very last resort.

I agree with mike5 Now that verbatim have come down to a reasonable price I am only using them in future. Who knows how stable the the recording substances are on the cheapo discs.!!!
    Also TDK and Maxell. FWS used to be fine until they went the purple dye route now they are as bad as buying Traxdata.

8. rockyglw

rockyglw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Have used Ritek, Verbatim, Mirror and TDK disks on my E50 with no problems at all. Only Porblems came with Princo and Bulpaq. Normally use Ritek as they are the cheapest!

9. SherrifJWPepper

SherrifJWPepper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replys guys :) looks like a trip over to big pockets is in order

10. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I just bought some memorex discs a little cheaper than verbatim and all seem to work fine in the E30

11. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Data Safe and Discs with Ritek Dye work perfectly in my E50. I have burned about 30 with no problems.

Most people also concur with this train of thought.

Ritek Dye is meant to be one of the most stable and compatable available. This also applies to +R discs.

I have also heard that the E30 and H20 wont play +R discs. Maybe these devices are not as compatable ? I have never heard anyone say the had problems with these discs before with either setup or P.C based DVD recorders.

12. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The E20 has a reputation of being picky with media although not all E20s. The E30 was supposed to be an improvement on the E20 according to reviews. Which is true to an extent with some..Mine unfortunately hates datasafe as much as the E20 does. It appears the E50 has overcome these differentials.

In my case the E30 will record to Traxdata and its clones but most of them stutter badly when played on the E20. Also sometimes when recording on the E30 using Traxdata or the FWS clones the recording will stop and then restart as a new menu. Thus loosing a few second while the machine overcomes whatever it was it did not like about the Ritek dye. They finalize ok but still stutter in the E20 but play ok in my Pioneer machine.

These problems only ever happen with Ritek type discs so for me and my particular equipment they are no no.....My computer drive is also very much a hit and miss with RItek. The earlier FWS discs were brilliant for compatibility with other units so to is Verbatim. Sorry I just cannot say the same for Ritek and it's clones in my case......

13. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Sounds like a bit of a nightmare to be honest. My E50 seems to play everything that I throw at it (Touch wood). And I only paid £340 for it multi region. As I said if you look around on the forums you wont find much bad said about the media I have mentioned.

14. SherrifJWPepper

SherrifJWPepper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gone for some Ritek single speed from Lynx so Ill see how I get on with them

15. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  16. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I dont think so. You could say the same about cdr. Properly stored away from light, moisture heat etc as long as you use decent media it should last your lifetime.

17. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Have you read the last posting on the thread from the link I gave!! The point is people have been storing their media properly but it has still failed after a few months in some cases and that includes Apple discs which are in but name "Verbatim".