Question Panasonic DMR-BWT850 file types

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JBRobinson, Feb 25, 2018.

1. JBRobinson

JBRobinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been banging my head against the wall trying to copy some video files from USB to this unit, and then to DVD or BD.

The files on my USB memory stick are MP4 and MTS (I have both versions of the same files). I have tried everything I can think of to copy these to the Panasonic unit's HDD without success.

I cannot find anything in the handbook to indicate which file types are acceptable to the Panasonic unit.

Alternatively, I can copy the files from my computer to DVD, but I'm not sure whether the Panasonic unit can then play them from DVD, whether they are MP4 or MTS files.

Can anyone please advise?

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,124
    See page 7 and 8 of the manual which shows what file types that each media type supports.

Pay attention to all the limitations in the various sub-notes on both pages.

3. JBRobinson

JBRobinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that, Gavtech. It seems that USB has no recordable contents, but will play back MP4, so there seems to be no way I can copy these to the unit's HDD.

I was hoping that if I could copy the files from the USB stick to my computer, and then on to a DVD, I could then play them on the Panasonic unit. Unfortunately, the list says the only playable file types do not include MP4.

It seems that AVCHD files can be recorded to and played from DVD-R discs, which are the ones I use. Unfortunately, I can find no software that can convert MP4 to AVCHD.

I can, at least, still play the files directly from the USB stick!

4. Pineman

Pineman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have just downloaded 18 episodes of a TV show onto a USB stick as mpeg4 videos. Having inserted it into my DVD player I can then read the contents and having done so select the one I want, or all of them, and then press the blue button to copy it/them to the HDD.

It is now possible to play them direct from the HDD BUT, and there is always a BUT, you cannot watch any of the files when the device timer records a program. Also you cannot copy them back from the device to a DVD.

Hopefully someone will see my other post where I am trying to find out how to put all of those files onto a DVD where it can be read by the device. I have found a site where you can convert mpeg4 files to AVCHD but it still wouldn't read them.