Panasonic DMR-BWT800 lost HDMI output

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jaywjay, May 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jaywjay

jaywjay
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    I have a Panasonic Blu-Ray Disc Recorder model DMR-BWT800. This has worked well for the past 4 years but has suddenly its HDMI video output has stopped working although its composite video output works. It records and plays back OK.
    The local Panasonic repair man claims it is not worth repairing as parts are virtually unavailable.
    Any thoughts as what I should check? I have had a good look at the main circuit board to which the HDMI ports are attached and there is no sign of any problems, eg blown capacitors, burnt areas, etc.
    John

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,864
    Welcome to the forum.

The question arises - has the repair man said this sight unseen?

The reason for my question: The first thing to do in cases like this is to reset the micro ( which is done simply by removing the power for a while) More often than not, this cures such falsely muted outputs.
    If a repairer has looked at it, then obviously it has already been through this procedure and the problem must lie elsewhere.
    But if the unit is still plugged in as normal and you have just asked his advice before taking any action - then do try this.

I'm guessing that since you have opened it up it probably has already had a mains reset.

But the HDMI interface is famously flakey... and it's rabid security interface makes it capable of many strange behaviours... so before giving up, try a lengthy mains reset, try many different HDMI leads - in different ports in different TV's

3. jaywjay

jaywjay
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Gavtech.
    Yes it was seen by the repair man although what he actually did is unknown. As you surmise it has been on and off the power a number of times - the longest period off was 5 weeks when we were overseas recently. I will do as you suggest and try other leads and I have one other TV with HDMI input.

4. jaywjay

jaywjay
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This afternoon I tried connecting the PVR to another television using a variety of HDMI cables. Surprise - they all worked. Well at first but then the signal would sometimes drop out. Fiddling around with the cable I found that I could get a good signal when I pressed down on the socket. So now I am thinking that there may be a bad solder connection on the board. Next step is to pull it out and have a good look with a magnifying glass.

5. jaywjay

jaywjay
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Finally gave up with the HDMI output. As all else worked, eg 2 tuners, recording, etc, I have ended up connecting it to the TV using composite video cables. Seems to works OK and at least the content is view-able. No I have 3 tuners - 1 on the TV and 2 on the PVR. Happy!