panasonic dmr bwt740 maximum recorded titles

kgsaxo

Novice Member
hello,
i am having panasonic dmr bwt 740 and i am using it for about three years.
i have about 140 pages of recorded titles (7 recorded titles for each page , about 1000 titles). i don't like to record my titles to dvds or BR dvds, i prefer to use external hdd.
The internal hdd is not full, i have about 30 hours left to record but it keep saying that maximum recorded titles have been reached.
Panasonic 740 has 1TB internal hdd .So, i connected a 6TB external hdd and i thought that it would be more than enought to copy all the titles and add other titles at the future.
The problem is that when i reached the same number of recorded titles at the external Hdd (about 1000titles), it doesn't let me transfer another title , even though there is more than enough space left.
I believe this is another panasonic's limitation, is there any way to add more titles?

Gavtech

Administrator
I believe the max will be 999 titles because there will not be room for another integer in the software.

There will be no workaround to that limitation.

atmoscinema

Just use several hard drives that can hold 999 titles?

kgsaxo

Novice Member
Thank you for the replies.
I don't care about the internal hdd. The bad thing is that it doesn't let me add more titles to the external hdd. I bought a 6TB hdd so I will be able to have all my recordings in one hdd. Now I will have to buy more hdds, with smaller capacity and of course, I can only use 8 hdd. It is not the end of the world but I hope somebody will find a solution.
If I grouped the titles, is it going to read them as one? I mean, if I grouped 10 or more titles, is it going to read them as one titIe at the external hdd( idon't know if I can group them and how many I can group)? Perhaps this is a solution

Gavtech

Administrator
The issue of 'number of titles' limitation aside, you are obviously making a big investment in your time and money in your collection... but I think you should reappraise your storage strategy.

If your machine develops a problem - you will lose the lot!

External HDD's are tied to that one single machine and cannot be connected to any future machine you may have.
If the machine fails, those recordings are lost.

kgsaxo

Novice Member
Thank you for the info, I never thought about it. I will start to keep back up to dvds.
The external hdd is only tied with this specific machine? I have another 740 recorder but it has a small problem and I am not using it. Am I going to be able to use my external hdd with the other 740?
Only to play the titles, isn't this possible?

volvofan

Uncertain if it applies to this recorder but as I recall the external HDD can only be used with the recorder that it is registered on,it cant be registered on another one without deleting the contents.

You also cant view recordings anywhere else apart from on the machine that recorded them,ie you cant use one recorder and view them on another,even an identical one.

Unless you have a pile of DVD-R discs why not use BD-R discs instead?,potentially keeping things in HD and a lot lower disc count.

kgsaxo

Novice Member
Hi, sorry for the late reply. if the hdd will work only with the specific recorder , thas a problem. i know BD-R is a good solution, but i will be able to watch them only with blue ray players. i will write one dvd and one blue ray disk to check the resolution. i will might end up to use both ways, dvd or bd and external hdd. your advices are greatly appreciated,thanks

Adrian_F

I seem to remember that on my old EX-77 there was a function to group titles together. So if you were able to group titles of say 20 titles together, then the recorder would only see 50 groups and the additional space would become available to you,

kgsaxo

Novice Member
I seem to remember that on my old EX-77 there was a function to group titles together. So if you were able to group titles of say 20 titles together, then the recorder would only see 50 groups and the additional space would become available to you,
yes, there is an option to group titles. i will write the titles to dvd or BR disk, and then i will group the titles to transfer them to external hdd

Nic6

Storing video on an external drive partnered to a Panasonic recorder will end in tears, when the machine packs up, which it will in the end, the external drive recordings will be useless and the external hard drive will have to be formatted and all files will be lost.
Proper archiving (especially of valuable material) should be burnt to Blu-ray disc which cost a pittance and those discs can be ripped and stored on an external hard drive not partnered to the Panasonic unit (iso files) which can be called upon any time.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...nk-blu-ray-discs-pack-of-25-10202117-pdt.html

kgsaxo

Novice Member
Storing video on an external drive partnered to a Panasonic recorder will end in tears, when the machine packs up, which it will in the end, the external drive recordings will be useless and the external hard drive will have to be formatted and all files will be lost.
Proper archiving (especially of valuable material) should be burnt to Blu-ray disc which cost a pittance and those discs can be ripped and stored on an external hard drive not partnered to the Panasonic unit (iso files) which can be called upon any time.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...nk-blu-ray-discs-pack-of-25-10202117-pdt.html
Thank you for the advise. I used to have a samsung recorder for about 15 years and I had no problem. It is very important the fact that the hdd is tied to the recorder and if the recorder fails then the recordings will be lost. I will start to save the recordings to blue ray dvds. Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom