Panasonic DMR-BWT740 Bluray Recorder Master Thread (May 2014)

Gavtech

Administrator
Reaction score
All issues / news / queries in this thread.

Is this new machine available in the UK? If not when would it be generally available. We need to keep an eye on special deals for this new product.

Not yet, should be launched in May or June.

AVForums article on this recorder is here: Panasonic DMR-BWT740 Blu-ray Player/Recorder Brings 4K Scaling | AVForums

To confirm - this product is pretty much the same as the outgoing BWT735 except that it will have 4K [sic] upscaling capabilities :rolleyes: and adds the android function (4.2 or higher) Miracast.

Edit - It also has a web browser (not flash compatible)

It will still have 1TB of HDD and twin Freeview HD tuners. We'll have to wait until it comes in to see if it is running the same or an improved version of the Viera Connect smart platform and whether or not the smart functions are accessible during recording (a major bug bear of the BWT735 for a lot of people)

Edit - the "rrp" will be £549

Last edited:
Its a shame that they have not decided to release a 2TB version yet. But I suppose you can archive externally now so there is probably less of a need for that...

Does this mean it also plays 4K discs and can record at 4K or is it just saying it can upscale which is not really the same.

Does this mean it also plays 4K discs and can record at 4K or is it just saying it can upscale which is not really the same.

Like most new BluRay players on the market, it will upscale 4K/UHD.

Will the BWT740 be 4K scaling alone or will it be totally compatible with all 4K product in the future, as the new range of TVs are?

Will the BWT740 be 4K scaling alone or will it be totally compatible with all 4K product in the future, as the new range of TVs are?

It won't play native 4K/UHD material (I don't think any existing BluRay player will?? Someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong) The 4K BD specs only got announced 2-months-ish ago so it will be a while before any machines or titles will be launched.

I read in an article on here that even Sony are cagey on 4K BD

From Scene to Screen - Sony announce their plans for an Ultra HD 4K future | AVForums

"The great hope has always been 4K Blu-ray but the BDA has been suspiciously quiet of late, only promising to release detailed specifications this year. When pushed on the subject, Sony would confirm nothing more than what the BDA had already announced and, if the company that developed Blu-ray and owns a film studio can’t provide us with any concrete information, you begin to wonder if 4K Blu-ray has a future. Our industry sources have said that the technology is ready to go - four layer discs with a 100GB storage capacity and HEVC for compression - but the studios just aren’t interested in supporting another disc based format."

EDIT: Also this new article that has appeared on this site What will make you buy a 4K Ultra HD TV? | AVForums says this

"The prospects of native UHD, other than via streaming services, are looking mixed at the moment. The stony silence over a 4K Blu-ray disc format remains unbroken since a few noises came out of the BDA (Blu-ray Disc Association) at the beginning of 2014. We are told that all the pieces are in place, as far as actually making the players and fabricating the discs, but unless the major studios get behind the idea, it’s dead in the water as a viable medium."

Last edited:
It won't play native 4K/UHD material (I don't think any existing BluRay player will?? Someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong) The 4K BD specs only got announced 2-months-ish ago so it will be a while before any machines or titles will be launched.

I read in an article on here that even Sony are cagey on 4K BD

From Scene to Screen - Sony announce their plans for an Ultra HD 4K future | AVForums

"The great hope has always been 4K Blu-ray but the BDA has been suspiciously quiet of late, only promising to release detailed specifications this year. When pushed on the subject, Sony would confirm nothing more than what the BDA had already announced and, if the company that developed Blu-ray and owns a film studio can’t provide us with any concrete information, you begin to wonder if 4K Blu-ray has a future. Our industry sources have said that the technology is ready to go - four layer discs with a 100GB storage capacity and HEVC for compression - but the studios just aren’t interested in supporting another disc based format."

EDIT: Also this new article that has appeared on this site What will make you buy a 4K Ultra HD TV? | AVForums says this

"The prospects of native UHD, other than via streaming services, are looking mixed at the moment. The stony silence over a 4K Blu-ray disc format remains unbroken since a few noises came out of the BDA (Blu-ray Disc Association) at the beginning of 2014. We are told that all the pieces are in place, as far as actually making the players and fabricating the discs, but unless the major studios get behind the idea, it’s dead in the water as a viable medium."

Some 4K Blu Rays are already available, and the new TVs are all 4K. So it does seem really stupid and short sighted NOT to put out a 4K player/recorder. My TV gives me access to NetFlix who are offering material in 4K. Hopefully broadcasters will begin testing soon, and with the new tvs all being 4K there will be a public demand for material that uses what is expensive at present to invest in. I bought my 4K ULTRA HD tv in the hope that over the next year or two material will become available to blow me away as did the test reel used in the store to tempt me to buy!

Some 4K Blu Rays are already available, and the new TVs are all 4K. So it does seem really stupid and short sighted NOT to put out a 4K player/recorder. My TV gives me access to NetFlix who are offering material in 4K. Hopefully broadcasters will begin testing soon, and with the new tvs all being 4K there will be a public demand for material that uses what is expensive at present to invest in. I bought my 4K ULTRA HD tv in the hope that over the next year or two material will become available to blow me away as did the test reel used in the store to tempt me to buy!

There are no "4K BluRay" discs - Sony have launched some "Mastered in 4K" BluRay discs, but they are still 1080p resolution* These use an extended colour range.

*The first article I posted the link for mentions these.

There are no "4K BluRay" discs - Sony have launched some "Mastered in 4K" BluRay discs, but they are still 1080p resolution* These use an extended colour range.

*The first article I posted the link for mentions these.

So they are trying to fool people, as I clearly have been. What is the point of plastering a "mastered in 4K" label on the box, which a lot of discs are already anyway, unless they want people to think they are different? So once a 4K player/recorder comes out it will only be upscaling a mastered in 4K in the same way it will all other Blu Rays? Angry that Panasonic and Sony have not brought out the whole range of goods in 4K just than starting with a tv that hasn't anything to show in the upgraded new system!

So they are trying to fool people, as I clearly have been. What is the point of plastering a "mastered in 4K" label on the box, which a lot of discs are already anyway, unless they want people to think they are different? So once a 4K player/recorder comes out it will only be upscaling a mastered in 4K in the same way it will all other Blu Rays? Angry that Panasonic and Sony have not brought out the whole range of goods in 4K just than starting with a tv that hasn't anything to show in the upgraded new system!

Sony are trying to bridge the gap between 1080p & 4K/UHD (as mentioned in one of the articles) They have been mastered in 4K then put onto the disc using an extended colour range (I believe x.v. colour)

Yes, when a true 4K/UHD player comes out in the future, it will still be upscaling one of these titles as they are 1080p As I mentioned previously, the 4KBD specs were only released a couple of months ago (4K Blu-ray discs set for release in 2014 | whathifi.com so some work will need to go into manufacturing a machine that adheres to those specs, and they're only going to do that if a film studio (IE SONY!!!) gets behind the format and actually releases content on a 4KBD.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Look at what's available now :)

It has the same smart interface as the BWT735 - except this model has a web browser (no flash support) but it doesn't have Freetime like some of the new 2014 TV's. Just the 3 BBC Apps, Netflix, Youtube etc etc

and.......

it has the same restrictions I'm afraid, if your recording something, then no network service can be accessed.

No more S-Video support from the single SCART input, just Video signals now.

and a redesigned main "Function" menu (basic setting menu remains the same)

Hope this all helps you.

No more S-Video support from the single SCART input, just Video signals now.

No doubt next season it will be a wet string analogue input only ... or no scart at all - possibly.
:rolleyes:

I expect to buy this in July. By that time the prices will have stabilized and production levels high enough to create the competition in the market place.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Good to see Panasonic still churning out these units, I think they are great.
Surprised at lack of competition though, is it just Panasonic making the HD recorders with the bluray burning option? :D

Just purchased one of these, luckily at a discounted price no longer available. It replaces a trusty DMR-BW780.

A number of things I noticed were:

1] No BBC Apps as appeared in post #17 above.
2] No clock unless unit is not set in low power standby or a period of the same. Also if RF output in standby is switched off for further standby low power, the connected TV still gets full signal.
3] The editing tabs are almost indiscernible.
4] Hurray for a full screen Guide at last.

So far, bar the points observed above, it seems almost the same machine. However UHD up scaling is really good and I think I have given it the best chance with a 27 gbps HDMI lead and a Samsung UE48HU7500, and this certainly makes up for the Panasonic's poor internet services which in my opinion are not much different from the horrible dinging old Viera Cast. There are hardly any apps there and in 'Market' you have to sign up to instal an app. I don't have to do that on the vastly superior Samsung. I assume the blank space in the top left corner is for a TV preview one day.

Another good point to add - all my Blue-rays recorded on the old machine are playable on the new one including no more copy HD.

Last edited:
Yes, also bought this yesterday and pretty impressed with it. Will advise one can edit to frame level on the HDD by carefully choosing start and end points, Can be tricky at first but in time I know I will get used to is as I was like that at first with my Pioneer HDD DVD Recorder which can also edit at frame level following similar principles just laid out differently.

Also, noticed via Internet function also no BBC iPlayer app or BBC News or BBC Sport apps as post#17 shows above and fellow user xyzbird experienced same. I've written to Panasonic to advise how I get it.

PS I got mine from Richer Sounds, Glasgow for £439 price matching best price found online at £449. There is a Birmingham store selling instore £414, online £463, here:
Panasonic DMRBWT740 3D Blu Ray Recorder HD Tuner Wi-Fi 1TB HDD Panasonic DMRBWT740 3D Blu Ray Recorder HD Tuner Wi-Fi 1TB HDD [DMR-BWT740EB] - £463.00 : Electronic Empire, Low price electricals | LED TV | Camcorders | Blu Ray Players | Flat Screen TV
Doubt you will find cheaper than £449 online or that £414 instore if you liver near there.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom