• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic DMR-BWT720 PIN query

Whizz321

Standard Member
Hello there,
I have a Panasonic DMR-BWT720 and am having trouble with the PIN number. On the PIN ENTRY section of the setup I enter my PIN number but it comes back as unknown. Where as using the same PIN number I can access the Owner ID and the PIN number is displayed there.
Are there 2 PIN numbers? I cannot remember entering one anywhere else apart from the Owner ID. Is there a way to reset the PIN ENTRY section ? If I initialized the device to Shipping Conditions I would lose all my recordings on the HDD.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Gavtech

Administrator
Hello there,
I have a Panasonic DMR-BWT720 and am having trouble with the PIN number. On the PIN ENTRY section of the setup I enter my PIN number but it comes back as unknown. Where as using the same PIN number I can access the Owner ID and the PIN number is displayed there.
Are there 2 PIN numbers? I cannot remember entering one anywhere else apart from the Owner ID. Is there a way to reset the PIN ENTRY section ? If I initialized the device to Shipping Conditions I would lose all my recordings on the HDD.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Yes there are two Pin numbers (see page 20 of the manual)

The first PIN is for ID screen access, The second PIN is for Parental control access.
The default PIN is 0000 - which should work if you have not set this second PIN

Resetting to shipping condition does not lose any recordings... but Owner ID PINs cannot be reset and will not be changed by a reset anyway.

Whizz321

Standard Member
Thanks for the quick reply. I must learn to read the manuels. I tried 0000 but that didn't work, so I then tried 1111 and thankfully that worked. Thanks again

thorley37

i just bought a display model that seems to have parental lock enabled,nobody at the shop knows the code,is the anything can be done,or should i take it back and get my money back

Gavtech

Administrator
i just bought a display model that seems to have parental lock enabled,nobody at the shop knows the code,is the anything can be done,or should i take it back and get my money back

It may not actually be activated. There has been a deal of confusion about this issue in the past ( ...including my own.)

What makes you say it is active?

Gavtech

Administrator

Additional - See this document.

It applies to earlier machines but will almost certainly apply to this one too.

But it may not actually be necessary to reset - (which this document shows you how) - as implied earlier, some think this feature has been activated when it actually has not. There are settings which can change the behaviour.

thorley37

i think its active, because i recorded silent witness last night when it had finished i went to view and it was asking for pin code,i tried 0000 as book says, i have downloaded the PDF on parental code i have tried to do a reset as per instructions but on my unit there is no rec button,only play and stop any ideas

Gavtech

Administrator
i think its active, because i recorded silent witness last night when it had finished i went to view and it was asking for pin code,i tried 0000 as book says, i have downloaded the PDF on parental code i have tried to do a reset as per instructions but on my unit there is no rec button,only play and stop any ideas

Many users encountered this in earlier models and it does not necessarily mean the pin has been set.

Assume for the moment that the pin is still 0000

See page 88 column B of the manual for how to change the settings and to turn child lock off (- using the default 0000 code if necessary)

thorley37

Many users encountered this in earlier models and it does not necessarily mean the pin has been set.

Assume for the moment that the pin is still 0000

See page 88 column B of the manual for how to change the settings and to turn child lock off (- using the default 0000 code if necessary)

thanks gavtech
i will try that later,panasonic told me to press rec and play on the unit but rec button they said they would get back to me

Gavtech

Administrator
child lock is set to on,default code 0000 does not unlock,i need to be able to reset

I see there are only four buttons on these machines now: Power / Open Close / Stop / Play.

I suggest you contact Panasonic Customer Services, Contact Points here, to determine what sequence / combination is required for this machine.

Regarding other users difficulties with this problem ( on a previous machine)
see this thread, and from the black bar at the top of the table of threads, select 'Search this thread' and input 'Parental'.

thorley37

I see there are only four buttons on these machines now: Power / Open Close / Stop / Play.

I suggest you contact Panasonic Customer Services, Contact Points here, to determine what sequence / combination is required for this machine.

Regarding other users difficulties with this problem ( on a previous machine)
see this thread, and from the black bar at the top of the table of threads, select 'Search this thread' and input 'Parental'.

i did contact panasonic they said press play and rec for 5 seconds

Gavtech

Administrator
i have emailed panasonic twice with my problem once last night and again this morning, i have yet to receive acknowledgement

I recommend telephoning.
You could wait weeks or even months to get an email response.

thorley37

I recommend telephoning.
You could wait weeks or even months to get an email response.

just got email from panasonic customer services for resetting parental code on the Panasonic DMR-BWT720

While the unit is on, press and hold [OK], the yellow button and the blue button at the same time for more than 5 seconds. “00 RET” is displayed on the unit’s display.
Repeatedly press PLAY (right) until “03 VL” is displayed on the unit’s display.
Press [OK].
“INIT” is displayed on the unit’s display.

Gavtech

Administrator
While the unit is on, press and hold [OK], the yellow button and the blue button at the same time for more than 5 seconds. “00 RET” is displayed on the unit’s display.
Repeatedly press PLAY (right) until “03 VL” is displayed on the unit’s display.
Press [OK].
“INIT” is displayed on the unit’s display.

Have you been able to turn off the Child Lock after the reset?

Maeee

Standard Member
I have bought and ex display DMR BWT740 and I have the same issue, I can get to the 03 vtl menu, but it doesn't go to initial setting when I press ok, does anyone know what the equivalent for this model is?

Gavtech

Administrator
I have same problem as Maee. Is there a step missing between 03VL message and pressing enter?
Welcome to the forum.

The procedure is the same as set out in post 2 of this thread - but note the comments there; The pin number may not actually require resetting.

alanandjo

Novice Member
Hello. I too have bought a ex display DMR BWT740 and I have the same issue, I can get to the '03 vtl' stage, but it doesn't go to 'init' setting when I press ok. Anyone get this sorted? I cannot watch anything on the hard drive!

Roy Brooker

Novice Member
Interesting! That makes three of us with the problem.

Unfortunately I have not solved it. I contacted Panasonic Support at Contact us - Panasonic UK & Ireland by email. They were helpful but could not slove the problem as they clearly had not experienced it. After going through the ususal suggestions they gave up and suggested "it might be faulty" and that I should take it to my local Panasonic service centre!
I can only suggest you also contact Panasonic support direct. If they get several messages it might make them realise it is not a one-off fault.

Roy

alanandjo

Novice Member
I will try and phone Panasonic tomorrow. It's very frustrating, I must have tried dozens of times to get this lock off. Will be a shame to have to send the box back.

alanandjo

Novice Member
Spoke to 'Luke' at Panasonic Support. Went through back to default and reset it all and guess what? Still the same. Best he could offer was take it to the nearest service centre. I asked if he had heard of this problem before and he said he had heard of one other but did not know how it had been resolved. Not much help really, seems I have a dud box. Such a shame.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom