Question Panasonic-DMR-BWT700 stuck in 'self check' loop

This sounds more and more like a failing HDD, sadly.
My only other suggestion is capcitors most likely on the power pcb.
I suggest you !ook carefully at them all for bulging tops.
Do make doubly sure you unplug unit from the mains.

IF it is the HDD then likely you have lost the recordings. I have posted on this forum how to replace the HDD, also how to salvage recordings ( but this is very very time consuming) and how to spoof a copy of a HDD such that the Panny will not insist on a format (but you only get one shot at this before it will insist on a format and the process does not always work)

A further thought you could try using the unit as a DNLA unit in server mode to transfer your recordings. Whilst not that likely to work would be worth a shot to try and rescue your recordings, note though HD recordings would not show.

Hi again

I’ve done a reset, but can’t get anything up on the tv, it says HDMI at front of Panny. I’ll wait. Unless you can help at this point ? Thanks again

Definitely use scart not hdmi at this stage, hdmi just complicates matters.
If it is stuck on "reading" and the display shows the expected amount of space then these point to it mot bring able to retreive the recorded index of programes. Likely to be failing HDD but could be power supply.
An old trick you vould try is to unplug, remove the HDD, put in fridge for an hour or more inside a sealed poly bag with most air squahed out, then put it back and see if temporarily works ok.
As long as you dont turn Panny on withno HDD or write to the HDD in say a pc, then it will not ask for format.

Still stuck HDMI at front with flashing icon on right of HDD symbol
No visuals on TV at all

Attachments

• 6ED53CDB-D447-4F61-95C8-FFB20A65CA15.jpeg
    6ED53CDB-D447-4F61-95C8-FFB20A65CA15.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 115
Nothing on TV when using scart and switching TV to scart input?

Hi Again. Yes I’m doing this later! as changing HDMI on TV to second slot still doesn’t work. I will let you know, thanks again!

Hi Again, done all this. Scart lead only connected but doesn’t progress Hello message stuck on front of Panny. Nil visible on TV for me to deal with. Whenever I switch the Panny on it makes a metal chink sound, so I think that’s it now, Taking it to Authorised Panny Dealer next week. Thankyou very much indeed for your kind assistance !

IF the chink noise is coming from blueray drive, you could unplug it, unit will boot up without it.
IF as seems more likely its from the HDD then you can easily replace this, cost around £30-40. You could then try and recover recordings from failed HDD but.unlikely to recover any recorded in HD.

Hi again! I’ve disconnected it taken it to room with another tv , connected it via HDMI lead, disconnected HDD internally same message on front of Panny HDMI , TV screen has no info except HDMI. No progress at all. Any idea Please? Thanks very much

Hi again. HDD still disconnected If I connect via hdmi frozen message on front of Panny is HDMI,
if I use scart leads frozen message is Hello

Both scenarios ~ have no message on TV
So can’t progress
I don’t want a new machine as I have an external 2 TB USB HDD (disconnected) which is registered to it and will not play on another Panny !!!!! Thanx

If you disconnect the internal HDD it will not boot up, I suggested disconnecting the Blueray drive.

Also in the other room with different TV try using scat and not hdmi.

Have you visually checked the capacitors on the power board?

It's looking more and more that your HDD is kaput - you could try the fridge treatment I mentioned before, whilst not a fix it could prove its the HDD as well as possibly allowing you to copy recordings off the HDD.

I suggest that after the above next step is to install a replacement HDD see here - Panasonic720-Installing a New Internal HDD- How to do it
BUT NOTE this will stop you from installing the suspect HDD back again as the unit will insist on a format.

Hi again. Good news at last ! after disconnecting blu ray drive it fired up set up came up etc so it’s working now so I reconnected the drive. But HDD shows no recordings there. I contacted a data recovery company they say they can retrieve it, but I need to check somehow?

Thanks!

Ps I don’t know where the capacitors are. I do think this is an electrical problem. here are photos can you check please?

Attachments

• 36D9C311-E5ED-4D49-B772-1D3482FA2D50.jpeg
    36D9C311-E5ED-4D49-B772-1D3482FA2D50.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 116
  • 7FB5D7B0-B359-4E5F-906B-4BE91BDB1E22.jpeg
    7FB5D7B0-B359-4E5F-906B-4BE91BDB1E22.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 116
Ps. I can’t record onto the HDD it says its nearly full, but nil visible

Capacitors
On 2nd photo, one begining name of 7FB you have most but not all of the capacitors, with respect to word COLD printed on the board, one immediatly to left, another to right and lower.
Diffcult to tell from photo as any bulge would be up towards the camera but the 3rd capacitor down and to left of COLD may have bulge.
All the electrolytic capacitors wbich can fail look similar - a cylinder of aluminium with either a X or a T scribed into the end. They also have a plastic sleeve over them which extends a little into the top aluminium end.
There is another big one up and left from COLD.
The top of ALL these capacitors should be completely flat, any upward bulge means a failing capacitor.

So with no bluray it boots up ok?
But hdd shows no content but also no space for recordings?
In earlier post you said it shows 56hrs, is this still the case?
You now have display on tv, from say live off-air tv or from units menu,?
Can you now use your external 2TB HDD and play and record to it?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to fill in my gaps in situation.

Hi Jonoro. I’ve taken some more photos of inside perhaps you can identify better re capacitors ? Also I reconnected the USB HDD. All the recordings on it are still there and play ok ! Which means that part of the mechanism is working fine, if so does that mean the capacitors are ok ??? The HDD still shows blank see photos. Thanks again for your help rsvp !

Attachments

• 0089B12A-ED86-4834-8F6C-2FC7352FAF41.jpeg
    0089B12A-ED86-4834-8F6C-2FC7352FAF41.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 95
  • 9DAB6315-EF28-42FD-AF72-0EEE94317ECE.jpeg
    9DAB6315-EF28-42FD-AF72-0EEE94317ECE.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 85
  • 5BD809FF-3277-4BF7-9C88-8017A2C27253.jpeg
    5BD809FF-3277-4BF7-9C88-8017A2C27253.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 82
  • 8500AE18-AD8C-4EB9-B9CE-24474BA20F48.jpeg
    8500AE18-AD8C-4EB9-B9CE-24474BA20F48.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 72
Mike
Progress!
Still difficult to tell re caps, the big one looks fine. Two others have specular reflections makeing it difficult to tell.
If you place a straight edge across the top of each one there should be a gap between the edge and the aluminium top (due to thickness of the plastic sleeve).
Will the usb drive only work with blueray umplugged?
Is your usb hdd powered externally, i.e. not relying on usb connection for power?
Still could be power problem
What has happend to the 56hrs that the hdd was showing?

Jonoro 2 photos re capacitors easier for u to see, ones with silver X on top ? They all look ok on top USB HDD still works fine after I’ve disconnected BLU-RAY Drive. It has its own main power via plug. Connected to Panny with USB Thanks a million!

Attachments

• DE483CA1-1216-4C5A-B63B-A9093C075B4D.jpeg
    DE483CA1-1216-4C5A-B63B-A9093C075B4D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 76
  • 7ED2DA04-E4E2-46D3-8E8E-8D76C6E558D0.jpeg
    7ED2DA04-E4E2-46D3-8E8E-8D76C6E558D0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
Mike
Agreed the caps look ok.
I will later today send you a layout diagram showing all the caps you should check visually.

So to sumarise it seems to boot up with bluray disconnected by hdd is showing empty.
This doesnt prove bluray faulty as vould be failing power supply which load of bluray tips it over the edge.
Your usb hdd with its own supply will nit load the internal power supply.

How much time for recording on internal hdd is shown now and what is recording quality set for?

Can you try reconnecting bluray see what happens?

Mike
Attached a pdf of the power PCB which I have put arrows on showing all the electrolytic capacitors that you should check visually.
Also attached 3 pdfs detailing how to get into service mode and decodes of the error codes.

I have a 720 stored in the loft, I will get it out to check:

Does unplugging the Blueray drive remove access to recordings on the HDD (seems unlikely but never tested this)?
Does a factory reset delete recordings? I have seen it written many times that it doesn't but I will check this for you.

Attachments

• dmr-bwt720-Power-PCB_ECaps.pdf
    155.3 KB · Views: 76
  • dmr-bwt720-SelfDiagnosis.pdf
    121.1 KB · Views: 79
  • dmr-bwt720-RemoteCtrlSpecial.pdf
    366.3 KB · Views: 81
  • dmr-bwt720-Service-Mode.pdf
    187.9 KB · Views: 81
Mike
I visited thr loft and retreived the 720!
I can confirm that with blueray drive unplugged the unit boots up ok although it does take longer than usual. Also all recordings on the internal hdd are there in the NAVI menu.
I then did a reinitialise back to factory settings, blueray still unplugged and all the recordings are still thete and can be played. Tuning was automatically initiated.

Jonoro with blu ray reconnected HDD shows no time left BUT no recordings there ! For some reason I cannot view the HDD programmes list via the Video Menu on the remote, I have to first view TV guide via Guide on the remote, then Function menu and scroll down
So something odd ! Recording Mode is about near the bottom of HD modes on the list but I cant view this on screen. Please help !!

Attachments

• 3DE2E464-5107-43FF-9F98-43A5BD32046F.jpeg
    3DE2E464-5107-43FF-9F98-43A5BD32046F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 77

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom